328 dirty fabric on shelf behind seats | FerrariChat

328 dirty fabric on shelf behind seats

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stenley, Nov 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    Hi everyone,

New 328 GTS owner here and I'm loving both the car and this community of experts. The site has already had a dramatic impact on my enjoyment - I found that great thread on fixing the VW whistle from the exhaust and employed the advice to great results.

I have some stains (water spot-like stains) on the fabric headliner/parcel shelf behind the seats. I have found a few threads addressing the issues, but none that i've found that have been updated in a few years. Is there any new advice on how to clean those nasty spots on the fabric shelf? Wondering if Oxyclean remains the state of the art solution. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Not familiar with the stain removers out there, but I used regular soapy water with a really soft brush to get all the dirt out. Of course, I removed the panels to rinse them with water and let them dry.

If I remember right, there are some rivets to remove, but they are not really needed. The shelf is fixed in position anyway.

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    What you are seeing is the old glue that was used during factory construction bleeding through. You won't be able to clean it off; it's coming from underneath. The only solution is to find original fabric and recover. Neither of which is an easy thing to do. My suggestion is to live with it.

thorn and Rosey like this.
  4. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    thanks conan. the car is all original, so i find myself terrified to do anything without triple checking and i still haven't found a good mechanic in los angeles to help.

5. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Agreed. 100% correct.

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    That fabric is garbage, rip it out and replace it with leather, thats what I am planning, under the targa top as well . I believe some 328 s came with a leather option . I also know some folks on this site have both replaced with the factory crap and with leather .

cheesypeas likes this.
  7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #7 Albert-LP, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    You don't need a good mechanic: every body shop worker can remove it

Zegna fabric is not garbage, was the best italian fabric at the time. It has been redone and a available in all colors here in Italy: it's a bit an expensive fabric, but much more better looking than a piece of leather. I already wrote here years ago the Italian supplier name and his site plus the email

Ciao

Milkshaker0007, bertrand328 and Rosey like this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The option was available for all 328s during the whole production, but very few cars were ordered with it, which is a pity as it gives the car a touch of class, especially on a GTB, and it was actually cheap. Note that the rear window surround and parcel shelf on one hand, the roof lining on the other could not be oredered separately: when you ordered leather, you got the rear window surround AND the roof lining in leather.
    (The Dashboard could be ordered in eather also, and it was a separate option).
    My GTS,# 80515, has it; the parts around the quarter windows, and the liner under the fixed roof arch are not easy to clean and protect with leather treatment products. Sorry for the picture repost (you don't see the roof lining in leather on picture #1 as the car is fitted with a "Saratoga Top"; the original top is indeed lined in leather, but is stored).
    Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I used some mild wool carpet cleaner on mine with a microfibre cloth. It didn't get it out completely but it reduced it from being a noticeable stain to a faded shadow of a mark.

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Absolutely !! The leather option was the way to go, Im looking forward to doing my interior carpet, leather where the fabric is, and under the Targa top. LIke I said before, the factory fabric, although long lasting in itself, it doesnt take long for the outside air to destroy it, and there is no going back, it always looks like s***. Bad decision by Ferrari to use it from the outset, but not as bad as the unstuck interior parts starting with the 355 OUCH !!!

11. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The fabric is actually two colours if looking closely. The lighter of the colours is very difficult to clean, so I did not fix this on my 328. However, if you have artistic skills, a microscope and the correct paint could make a big difference in those places where the fabric looks darker.

Since I had large water stains, just cleaning off the stains was good enough for me but it revealed some slightly darker spots.

I think I tried some bathroom cleaners for lime stains in a hidden location, but had no effect at all.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  13. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert

14. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Hi! I'm in the process of restoring the interior of my '89 328 GTS. My material was stained but it was just dirty. I first tried just soap and water which moved the dirt stains around (tried without removing the parts). Then I tried a steamer we have for carpets, etc. Same problem. I've purchased a carpet/upholstery extractor from Griots and will let you know. Some covered components had enlarged holes, stains that could not be removed, etc. and I purchased exactly matching material (which are not junk) from: [email protected]. Takes 3-4 weeks for delivery (he orders from Italy). I want the car to be original as purchased. If you go nuts as I did (originally just planned to re-stain the leather) and now everything is out of the car I have a list of parts sources.
    Mike

15. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    So, you should have read previous threard. ( $290 website price !!! )

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    And guess who ships to the USA from Italy...

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Seems like this is a good thread to post this old picture of mine.

Whatever you decide to do, you will first need to remove all of the OEM fabric covered pieces. Count them all:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Look at the pair of white stripes at the end of the pair of long 'L' pieces, right at the center of the picture above. That's the original color of the OEM fabric - the edges which were covered by the clip between them.

For this reason, without a second thought I recovered them all in a creme leather, which is easily cleaned:

Saabguy and Rod like this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have washed mine to decent success, but not perfection. The only way to get perfection is to replace the fabric. A tedious but very doable job. I bought fabric from Italy (expensive material and shipping) and redid the pieces on several cars. They are perfect.

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Photo of my slight stains from the factory glue seeping through the fabric after giving it the carpet wash treatment.
    Actually are a lot less noticeable in real life.

20. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
  21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had the same problem. It was water seepage from the side window, not glue. The recommended fix at that time was woolite. Didn't help me much. the tight corner made it all the more difficult. I (now) have a carpet extractor, but I dont think that would help due to the location. I eventually replaced it with original fabric from a guy who serviced FCars for the local dealer & found some on his shelf.
    and here it is like 10 years later and I had the same problem. I never saw water leak in. I dont drive in the rain (if I can avoid it). I've since had the window pulled & the gasket replaced. No sign of rust that I recall. Somewhere in my basement is the original fabric that was pulled out.

rocket50 likes this.
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Looks much better for sure buddy.

23. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    this is great, thank you. based on those pics, its definitely the glue coming through. Time to consider whether to replace the fabric or go for a leather!

24. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Or just leave it.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  25. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    Exactly, Rosey. i'm inclined to leave it for now - the good news is you don't see it when driving