Sad Experience at Ferrari Las Vegas | FerrariChat

Sad Experience at Ferrari Las Vegas

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 1cerberus4u, Nov 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1cerberus4u

1cerberus4u Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2004
    Bedford NH
    Full Name:
    andy sanborn
    To start with, I'm so proud of my twin. Bought a bank in 2006 just before the 2008 financial crash, fought like hell for 8 years to stop the FEDs from shuttering yet another company and ultimately created a successful (even by Fchat standards) multi state organization which became the envy of the industry for its ingenuity and performance. True American success story.

In the end, his success has actually led him to a seat on the FED (Which is ironic for the above reason, as well as being a mirror twin, I am in the "Audit/End the Fed" camp.. but that's another story...

Anywho, While not quite as much as a car nut as I am, he loves cars and always said he wanted a Ferrari as a just reward when he sold the company. (side note, he swore he would never buy one while owning the company for visual reasons - I know stupid position, but hey, I get it, I don't bring my super cars to work either for all the same reasons)

So, after selling his company, deciding to move to Vegas and buying a Baseball Hall of Famer's house, he finally started to fulfill his dream of F Car ownership.

Yesterday he takes his equally conservative wife to Ferrari Las Vegas and unexpectedly the front door is locked. While standing there, a salesman comes to the door and says he can't come in without an appointment... Brother says, well, I'm standing here, are you or others free to let me in... Sales guys says, no, we don't allow appointments on the same day.... Call and make one... Sales guy shuts door and walks away....

Frustrated brother, whips out cell, calls the dealership, receptionist finds sales guy who begrudgingly lets him and his wife in.

Brother walks around a bit, checking out inventory and wifey points at a Port and says, hey, I like this one... Bro walks over to the blue Pista in the front window and says... hmmmm. I think I like this one. Wife comes over and says interesting blue (Mex blue for the record) and snaps a pic of it to send to me.

Sales guy comes over and chews out my brother and his wife, for taking a picture of a car, on the showroom floor, literally in the front window, saying no pictures of cars allowed due to this being a consignment car....

Brother, calmly (he is not an emotional guy except when his son, who plays for Stanford plays- Go Card!) turns to his wife and they exit, but by then, he's completely steaming....

This is a guy who can strike a check for anything he wants, including he may well have done so for not one, but 2 cars in that dealership, on the spot (with the right pricing), yet, his experience has left him so bitter, he now questions if he should even keep searching for an Fcar due to the now concern that this is how the industry treats people...

So, in my effort to see his dream fulfilled, does anyone on this list know someone in management at Las Vegas, or Henderson, or anywhere for that matter. who may have the capacity to understand and respect a long term potential client?

Obviously, for service reasons, he would prefer to purchase and get the car serviced locally, but....

Its events like this that make me so sad for the supercar ownership. We should be celebrating and sharing these wonderful cars, not driving way the future....

4re308, tfos750, LARRYH and 6 others like this.
  2. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    It’s a common policy to not be allowed to take pictures of cars on consignment. I see no problem with how the salesman reacted because I highly doubt he “chewed him out” and 2 if the policy of the dealership is to not allow appointments same day in the current conditions, it’s understandable. Just making a big deal over nothing. Just because someone can afford a Ferrari does not mean that they are to be treated any different than anyone else. Follow the rules that the dealership has every right to place and there are no problems. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I agree. If the policy is by appointment only and no photos then that is the policy and should be respected. How many people just want to stop in, see a Ferrari up close and take photos with no intention of buying. The rules are set up for a reason. If that was your car on consignment and you did not want photos all over the internet you would want the dealership to enforce the policy. Maybe the owner of the Pista is a private person and does not want his car all over social media?!? There are many stores that have that policy. Go into a Richard Mille boutique and they will not allow photos of certain watches.

willcrook, jag-oo-r and JB1997 like this.
  4. 1cerberus4u

1cerberus4u Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2004
    Bedford NH
    Full Name:
    andy sanborn
    If the seller was private and did not want people to know the car was for sale, then why in the world would it be in the front window? And, fortunately, I own nice watches too, and I have never been denied access to shops/product, even when visiting other places for the first time...

There is a vast difference between people who do no want their name or property public and an unknown car, in the front window of a dealership... Geez...

4re308, pilotoCS, nicholasn and 16 others like this.
  5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My thought is that the dealership should have had a sign posted on the front door about the two policies. Did they?

If I were your brother, and he is really interested in the car(s), he should call back and make an offer (after doing his homework online) that is beneficial to himself and offer immediate wire transfer and put a deadline on the offer.

Shadowfax and greg328 like this.
  6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry I gotta side with the dealer. Appts only are common place now and people taking pics of cars gets old fast. I would guess the sales and staff were not rude but the story sounds better that way.....and money doesn’t buy being able to disregard policies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #7 ryalex, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    I'm sorry to hear about your brother's experience. Two weeks ago, Ferrari of Las Vegas had someone burst into the showroom, attack the receptionist and sales people, and then die there while being restrained (after police arrived and cuffed him). They are on high alert about security right now.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/las-vegas-police-identify-suspect-who-died-in-custody/article_80d763a6-1258-11eb-b997-afeb6d13aa89.html

I've been a customer there for years, they have the best service dept around.

If you would like I can text you the sales manager's cell number to make a private appointment.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #8 Coincid, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    You seen very proud and perhaps a tad envious of your brother's wealth, but that is irrelevant with the treatment afforded to him at the dealership. It is likely a state or municipal ordinance which mandates that car dealers may be open but with restrictions imposed such as by appointment only, the wearing of masks etc. Furthermore,it is a common courtesy to ask permission to take photos of vehicles in a Ferrari dealership. From the description of your brother, it seems strange that it is incumbent upon you to make arrangements for him to seek an alternative dealer or to make his dream car experience come true rather than attend to it himself.

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Wow that’s terrible. I can understand why they are on edge.

john a barnes, Graz and ryalex like this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ryalex probably has it right plus most of us know on FChat a couple things you and your brother didn’t...
    1. dealers get so many drop in gawkers and tire kickers. expect they will assume this on any drop in.
    2. for whatever reason guys new to Ferrari’s that can afford one for the first time love playing a stupid game I want to show up unannounced and look/act like the most unlikely buyer to throw it back at dealer when they get less respect. It is simple trolling.
    3. Guys think their own financial dicks are much longer than reality and especially compared to many dealer customers. I know someone as friends who is a rumored Billionaire, but realistically a multi-hundred millionaire. He was a $25mm Ferrari collection and for several years with racing probably their top 2-3 customers. Go 12 months later no new models bought and no racing, might as well be a poor stranger, there are dozens of others stepping up. You are easily forgotten.
    4. There is a trend by manager types at dealers (not usually the assigned salesman) that they deal with so many tiring rich egos they start treating everyone a little begrudgingly. They have to deal with 10x the talk for 1/10th the payoff.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Super car dealers often have vistors who have no intenton or the financial means of purchasing a car. Dealers are understandably frustrated at times. One of the tells as to the seriousness of a potential customer is the car in which they drive up to the dealership. If that car is another super car, that customer will be viewed differently than another whose car is a Toyota. Has nothing to do with snobbery or elitism but rather pragmatism.

Preston Joslin and Manda racing like this.
  12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    x2

I even ask my dealer if I can take pics of my *own* cars when in the service bay out of respect for their policies, or if I see something in the showroom

perrinnation and RayJohns like this.
  13. Yup.

So true.

Whenever I go to Taco Bell I always bring my reusable Chipotle bag, just to let them know I am a serious taco eater, and to make sure they give me extra packets of the Taco Bell taco sauce with no hassles or haggling.

vv23, kregelin, arkferrari and 15 others like this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not defending them but...

They are on really serious orders / restrictions about Covid. And, there was an event just 2 weeks ago where a crazy guy walked into the dealership and attacked people. What happened was not pretty.

There are two sides to every story

15. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Reusable is key. If you bring the regular paper Chipolte bag they might still have doubts.

john a barnes, GT2goneF and ScottS like this.
  16. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If I am wrong then I pre-emptively apologize, but the story given in OP smells a bit of entitlement. It strongly emphasizes that this guy is some big shot business success and therefore everyone from the government to FChat members to Ferrari dealerships should be deferential to him.

I mean take out all the superfluous background fluff then the story really just boils down to:
    1. Dealership has no photo policy and appointment-only policy
    2. Guy whom dealership has never seen before walks in without appointment and takes photos, breaking two of the dealership's rules
    3. Salesman tells guy to follow the rules when he breaks two of them
    Guess what? I've been a customer at Ferrari Las Vegas and when I go there, I still need an appointment and I still can't take photos.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    off topic, was that my former “Mexico blue” Pista? I didnt follow where it went.

GT2goneF and ScottS like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm not used to the US dealer customs, but looking at it from the sidelines, I think both parties made a few mistakes - but your brother seems like the one starting it, sorry to say.

If you don't know, you ask. In these COVID times, you think before you move. I know my dealer has their doors open, and are always very friendly to visitors. However, as the current situation is, I know they do ask people who are only there to look to make the visit brief and keep their distance.

But the US dealers seem to do things different, and it is very understandable. Even in my country, if I was visit ANY car dealer, I would call in advance and ask what their policy was. So there your brother made his first mistake.
    Then the dealer rep could have taken the high road and said, we do have time, come in. But seeing the recent incident, I can understand why they are edgy. They need to get back to normal too.
    If you want to take pictures in an exotic car dealership you have never visited, it goes without saying that you ASK before doing anything. Would you also just go sit in any car on the floor without asking? I know a picture and sitting in a car are two very different things, but the same basic courtesy applies. Ask before you do anything if you don't know.

I was not there, and neither were you, but to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. You come across in a way that makes it seem like you are bragging about your brother, more than just making a point. And frankly, if your brother is conducting himself the same way, I get the feeling that he might have come across a bit "much". I know I'm assuming things, but while FoLV might have done things slightly different, I can see several things your brother did that could have been different and made for a much better experience.

Trust me, that dealer has seen it all. You don't get anywhere by showing up like the rules don't apply to you. I think it is very disrespectful to not do your homework and then just demand that the rules are changed for you. It would have been so easy to call and say, I'd like to stop by. I'm very tight with my dealer, my rep and several there. Yes, I might just stop by to shoot the breeze and have a chat, especially on Champagne Friday, but if I have business, I always call ahead. I might be on my way, but I always give a heads up. Sometimes I get the "Sure, see you in a bit". Other times I get the, "Busy, let's find a date".

Depending on how your brother handled himself, the dealer could have done things better. But your brother is at least equally guilty of what happened from the looks of things.

And lastly, this? "created a successful (even by Fchat standards)". Interesting...

armedferret and GT2goneF like this.
  19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Not pickin' a side. I can see BOTH points of view here.

But, dealer could have made it a lot easier going if they had explained, once the potential buyer was inside, that they're sorry for the stepped up security, but they had a big problem a couple weeks ago so they are being extra careful.

Potential buyer would then have had a better understanding of the situation, and maybe lightened up a little, because it sounds like he hit the door with a pretty big chip on his shoulder.

More info=better experience.

and if the OP's brother really wants the car, he should quite simply call and ask for the sales manager, make an appointment to see him and whatever salesperson they want to assign to him, and get the deal done. Don't let one marginally bad experience keep him from buying the car he wants.

D

mwr4440, pdxjim488 and IloveGT like this.
  20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    OP's post sounds like a spoiled rant to me , both he & his brother.

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    the problem here is no
    too true

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    +10000

I don't think the op or his brother is spoiled brat or snowflake at all. How can we say that we don't have any sense of expectation (which is entitlement in other's eyes) when we fly first class or give our cars to valets because of the amount of money we spend? The spoiled brat or the snow flakes in this young generation will simply be a freaking Karen in situations like this at walmart. can't imagine how it would be like in a Ferrari dealership.

A 20 yo kid with rich daddy trying to buy a lambo and not getting it is not what I perceived that had happened here with the op brother.

plus any experienced sales at the most high end products should have enough surprise by how rich one really is had nothing to do with his dress attire. Driving a ferrari to Ferrari dealership definitely will help because not all sales are old and experienced enough.

so I say give op a break and just answer his question. Take home point. make an appointment with GM because it's covid and someone just died at the dealership, and buy the Pista and porto. once you have relationship with the dealership, it will be much different.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    so far he's been a post and run, I can't wait until he goes through all our replies at once. :D

GT2goneF, IloveGT and dm_n_stuff like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    having said that I would actually prefer blu electrico to mexico blue. There's one in newport, I think

GT2goneF and ScottS like this.
  25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The Pista Spider they have is Blu Elettrico AFAIK