488 pista vs F8 tributo | Page 10 | FerrariChat

488 pista vs F8 tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speed77, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini

2. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini

3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    To add wood to the fire, the 720s is lighter and faster, the 765LT will murder all of them.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini
    I have driven the F8 many times on track and on the road, I had a 25k deposit on an F8 that I specced very highly. I then got my deposit returned because in my opinion it was not much better than my 488, infact it was a lot quieter, the brakes were great and it was slightly faster.
    I then drove the Pista and have owned a Pista for 7 months. The Pista is on another level in looks, handling and desirability, there is little to compare. I was so convinced that I spent another 60k on the Pista. No regrets for sure.
    Ps. The F8 is still a great car but no Pista.

greg328 and johnr265 like this.
  5. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini

6. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini
    I could have had two Mclaren 720s and an M2 comp for what i paid for my Pista, but wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. The 765lt on the other hand i don't know what they will be like, but do agree it will be faster. I have no regrets, perhaps one day when Mclaren get it right I will buy one, till then I have no regrets.

greg328, Napoli and Igor Ound like this.
  7. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    probably so.... but realistically who uses ANY of these machines 7/10 th of what they are capable of...

8. 7/10?

Try 5/10. On a good day. At the track.

9. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini
    Agree all too fast, my 458 was more usable to be honest, and my 599 was just scary.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Do they pay you to mention mclaren in every thread? And great avatar on a ferrari forum btw. Are you just a troll?

SVR likes this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yes but the visibility is so bad from having to wear that paper bag over your head because its so ****ing UGLY.

gbasra11, greg328 and Igor Ound like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is probably true for most of us but I can tell you that the Pista made me a lot faster than I might be in another car. I never tracked my 720's so cant compare them.

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    all true, a lot of unusable performance but while we wait for the results we burn a little wood

14. Just speaking for myself, but it's almost ridiculous how much a difference driver skill makes.

I could barely keep up with my driving instructor on lead-and-follow when I was in my Pista and he was ... (wait for it) ... in a 2015 BMW X5M.

Yes, I know, it's a me problem.

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    But it will also be lighter than ferraris from all the money quickly burning in your wallet from depreciation ;)

16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    my favourite is the pista owners calling the mass produced pista a limited edition.

17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    In my world, the Pista is a limited edition. I tried and could not get one without a V12 purchase.

WARPSPEED and Igor Ound like this.
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My favorite is non Pista owners trying to take a dump on someone else’s car for some odd reason.

Spider68, Lukeylikey, greg328 and 7 others like this.
  19. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I'll throw my 2 cents in. I've logged about 1900 miles in a Pista and just test drove the F8 Spider. Both are wonderful cars but they really function and drive totally differently. As a GT3 is to a 911S, a Z06 to a base Corvette, that is what the difference feels like. Of course both are stupid fast but it's not about the speed, it's about the sensations.

The Pista is razor sharp, buzzes in your hands, your feet, and your butt, and you feel more like you have plugged yourself into the car and control it using all of your senses. It is raw, exhilarating, and never boring. One caveat is I do have a Forza exhaust controller and keep it always open so that helps a lot. Push the car and it simply bends to your will. It is wonderful and just begs for more.

The F8 is a leather wrapped, more refined variant of this. You sit ON the seat, everything is immediately smoother and more muted with a split second delay between action/reaction. In the spider at least, there was an imprecision to the steering that I didn't like. I suspect that is more a convertible thing but I haven't driven a Pista Spider so hard to compare. As for the interior, aside from the leather vs carbon/alcantera, they both look dated to me so there was no edge to the slightly updated F8. Sounds are different with the Pista simply revealing more of all of the mechanical noises that are happening; whoosh of the turbo, click of the DCT engaging gear to gear, pebbles and debris on the road, etc.... all of this makes it feel more hard core/race car like and the F8 more road car like. Both feature the adaptive suspension which creates a fabulous blend between sport and comfort. This works equally well in both cars with the steering caveat I mentioned above on the Spider.

I think happiness comes with being honest with yourself and your wants. Not everybody wants a hard core sports car (though the magazines may tell you that is what you SHOULD want). If you want the aroma of leather, the more gentlemanly feel of a smoother, less high strung car, the F8 (likely in coupe form) will satisfy. If this is your weekend toy and you fancy yourself Mario Andretti, then the Pista will tick the box with a large, bold CHECK. I love my Pista and to me, it is special, special, special, but think the F8 looks and is a tremendous car as well. YMMV.

Texas2step, italiafan, FLU and 3 others like this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Rarely see them on the road, and I live in Southern California.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Almost never on the east coast as well.

22. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    I've driven both cars back to back on the streets. My dealer has been trying to get me to buy a Pista for years. Was offered an allocation 3 separate times during it's production run and the 4th offer was a brand new dealer stock Pista Spider. Within this period of time, I felt as if I was on a seesaw teetering back and forth to make a decision! Alas, as much as I wanted to buy it and love it, I just couldn't get past the S duct. For me, the front facia (face) of a car is of the upmost importance in terms of beauty and IMO I don't feel the Pista's S duct treatment is "beautiful" - reminds me of a Shelby Series 1. Brutalist design comes first to mind as I don't see any finesse usually associated with a Ferrari design. There were no attempt to smoothen, blend, or hide any parts of the S Duct. Just an abrupt BAM, here it is and as a result from certain angles, it looks disjointed and broken to my eyes. I know beauty is very subjective and I'm NOT calling it ugly. Better put, I guess.... my feelings are that I LIKE it a lot, but don't love it enough to buy it. As a side note again IMO, there are plenty of recent modern cars with S ducts done "beautifully". New Ford GT, Aston Martin Vulcan, F8, SF90 (S duct only), etc...

In comparison, a few months ago I had an experience with the F8 up close in person and it was love at first sight! Saw it, drove it, love it, specced it....and now waiting.
    Love it so much in fact I went to town on the options/specs including 11 "extra comps"... which should equate to an out the door price of around 500k USD so, price was not a factor between the 2 cars.

greg328, italiafan, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After some years on car forums I have become enlightened as to the preferences and priorities that account for people's purchasing decisions. Not buying an otherwise stunning stellar car that performs at an exalted level due to disliking the rear lights or could not overcome their objection to the front S duct or the rear was too angular or excessively busy. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies.

WARPSPEED, greg328, FLU and 2 others like this.
  24. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    the price does not justify 'good enough'. has to be perfect.

FLU likes this.
  25. You can see an appreciable difference between the S-Duct implementation between the F8 and Pista?

You have a sharper eye than I.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login