help identifying a color code / name | FerrariChat

help identifying a color code / name

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ianos, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea
    Hi all

First time poster hoping somone can help identify this colour, ideally with a code and or name.

Im hoping to paint my '17 Fiat500 (I know) as its just beautiful and I think the little fiat will wear it well..

thanks!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea
    ooops.. '71 Fiat - obviously :)

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #3657 GT.
    Verde Tevere 16223 MM (Max Meyer).

Marcel Massini

4. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea
    thank you!!

5. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    So I have just painted my 1979 vespa in 16223 Verde Tevere, having been inspired by the famous Ferrari SWB in that colour. I did a lot of research into this colour, and discovered that it is a PPG / Nexa Autoshade colour and was brought back into production in around 2014 at around the time the SWB was repainted in that colour by DK engineering. It is only available as a water based paint and not 2k. Here are some pics of the scooter that I have been slowly building up since the painting.

Attached Files:

ianos, readplays and V12addict like this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Edward 96GTS likes this.
  7. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    It's definitely Verde Tevere. I agree the difference is too much. I don't think that the Ferrari above is verde tevere. Even when repainted and on show in Joe Macari, it is a slightly different shade to the vespa... To add to the confusion, Verde Tevere is a Maserati colour and this is the only picture I can find on line of a 1960s Mazza in that colour. Much closer to my vespa than the Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea
    HI all - thanks for contrubuting to this thread.

Unfortauntely, after getting a sample made up and testing it, I agree that the Ferrari I shared is not painted Verde Tevere 16223 MM (Max Meyer). I grew suspicious when I did my. research and discovered, as @Olly Stokes correctly points out above, that it is indeed a Maserati colour.

9. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    So the question remains - what colour is the SWB Ferrari? It is wide reported as verde tevere

10. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea
  11. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Yep that's the colour of my scooter! I really like it, but like you say it is not the Ferrari colour

12. ianos

ianos Rookie

Oct 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    ian oshea

Really lovely Vespa! I've a 1960 125cc which I plan on given a second lease of life soon.. I swapped out the origianl engine while I restore it for a latter 125 engine, and gave it a 4th gear for a little more usability..

In terms of the colour however - perhaps the photograph I shared is photoshopped or filttered or altered due to light or other factors, but I do not feel its the same colour as Verde Tevere.

Ive been trawling fourms for weeks and haven't gotten any closer to a colour code. So, in the interest of sanity, I've started using actual colour code site encycolorpedia.com, and noting various shared and hues of the 'greens' i am interested in.

13. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Thanks. I'm enjoying building it. It's absolutely not the same colour. Working on the premise that the SWB is a Maserati colour, I have googled others. Closest we get is Verde chiaro, but that's not it, or verde aqua, but that's not it either. It's a total mystery. I even ran DK engineering last year but they were not very helpful. Verde Agua in this link. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/482377810088516304/ Verde Chiaro is the 512 attached

14. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
  15. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    It reminds me of the colour of te 488 Pista created by a chap named tiposerofourzero on the gramz. He created the colour Verde Francesca, which obviously is not the colour of the 250 SWB, but mentions inspiration taken from Verde Tevere. It seems the same mix-up happened, because it looks a lot closer to Verde Medio or Verde Militar. The Maserati Verde Tevere is not the same colour as the Verde Tevere ascribed to the Ferrari.

16. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Ok but the SWB was repainted by DK Engineering in around 2014 so there must be that exact colour on a database somewhere - the question is what is it?

17. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Except that look at this picture of my vespa in the paint shop after it was painted. The colour looks very different no in this shot, no? much closer to the Ferrari in this light.

Attached Files:

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    All, but especially brighter & lighter metallic colors always look different, not only depending on lighting (artificial, natural, shades, etc), camera (equipment, exposure timing, etc), shot angle, etc, but they often appear differently from person to person based on their individual perceptions of colors (i.e. everyone sees colors slightly different from each other).

And when you add the replication of that color via digital or print media image...
    ... or conditions & equipment used to apply (amount of layers, mix, brush or spray, etc) it, ...
    ... further from agreeable outcome you get.

19. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Ok good points. But if you look at (a) my scooter (b) the scrap metal painted above and (c) the Maserati painted in verde tevere above you can see they are the same colour. And you can see they are different from the SWB colour.... The SWB has more blue in it and less yellow

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The picture in post #1 looks more like verde medio to me, but again, electronic pictures can be deceiving.

21. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
  22. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019

Attached Files:

23. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    There are enough studio-shots of 3657GT available to see that it is not in the more fluorescent bright green-mustard of the Maserati colour Verde Tevere but more similar to Verde Medio. Finding two pictures with dubious lighting where they look similar is only accidental... It seems that the easiest way to find the paint information would be to contact DK Engineering?

24. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    I contacted DK Engineering but they were not very helpful.

25. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Jack-the-lad likes this.