help identifying a color code / name | Page 2 | FerrariChat

help identifying a color code / name

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ianos, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    thank you - I will

2. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    That looks a lot like an Aston Martin color! Maybe a case of London confusion or someone who really wanted a db zagato??
    Sorry, but I had to...

3. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Webster and Lancaster have been super helpful. The actual colour of the SWB is Verde Medio Metallizzato 106G29!!

4. TurboTerrificNo9

Sep 24, 2011
    UK
    Correct

5. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    It's just a pity that no-one else could confirm this before now and debunk the verde tevere myth!

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ivo73 likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    ;)

christc likes this.
  8. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    Ok - but the car as it is now is definitely not Verde Tevere, as confirmed by the company that resprayed it in 2014. They gave me the details today having looked at their records. In fact when I first enquired they thought I was connected to the car / its owner and that it needed some paint! (I am not connected) Are there any pics of it before it started to change colours?

9. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Wonder what Ferrari Classiche says about it. I guess they confirm it to be super original down to the original colour.....

10. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    If that's right and if I understand you correctly then either Ferrari Classiche have got it wrong or someone else has got it wrong. Here are some pics of the car undergoing the repaint. This is not Verde Tevere , that's clear!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Classiche documents the original color, which may or may not be not the current color. And even if it did, an owner could always change colors after the Classiche certification.

12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If I recall and have understood correctly, Classiche certification does not require subject vehicle to be wearings its original, i.e. “as born”, exterior or interior colors, although IMO, it absolutely should.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    In many cases we don't know the original color, or don't agree the existing information to be accurate, and from a purist's view I must add that old colors cannot really be reproduced. The entire technology has changed, pigments are different, so in the best case the paint gives a credible illusion of originality... In worst case the computer scan generated a recipe that is off by a mile and the paint has numerous problems like a layer of metal flakes floating on top. Having a classiche representant judge what is correct would instantly turn into a farce!

Oh but I must ramble on: Over the years I have been asked a dozen times for a correct color code to repaint a Ferrari engine compartment. To be honest it never occurred to me flat or satin blacks come with a code, so I advise these people to ask somebody else. If these people would just go to a hardware store and get a can off the cheapest resin filled black rust paint, then applied it with a random brush picked in the $1 basket near the cash register, they would get an exact match with the original. But I don't think they want original, they want correct, they want a two-pack with a code sprayed on by a professional. This is how technologies change.

Fennicus, TTR and simpen like this.
  14. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    This is all very likely to be true. However in this case, the car is reported to have been returned to its original colour of verde tevere but has in fact been repainted a completely different colour (different marque and paint code).

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Many old colors were re-coded in later paint code systems, so verde Max Meyer 16223 may have been exactly the same as later verde 106-G-29.

TTR likes this.
  16. Olly Stokes

Olly Stokes Rookie

Jun 26, 2019
    I doubt it as Max Mayer 16223 still exists and is still a Maserati colour while 106G29 still exists and is a Ferrari colour - they are 100% different.

17. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, I forgot that.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I totally agree.

Besides, while on the subject of engine bay/undercarriage black, based on my observations & comparison studies including number of unrestored examples, 9 out of 10 fully repainted/restored older/vintage Ferraris seem to feature these areas finished too shiny, i.e. something akin of semi-gloss(?).

Fennicus likes this.
  19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
  20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007