328 dirty fabric on shelf behind seats | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 dirty fabric on shelf behind seats

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stenley, Nov 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    How difficult was this? I have the exact same problem.

2. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Scott, I would also leave it if it isn't too much of an eyesore, but don't be deterred about replacing it yourself. It's not too difficult if you take your time and proceed carefully. I'm definitely no upholsterer, and the end result on my car in the photo was a significant improvement.

BTW, when I replaced this fabric I don't remember seeing any residual glue traces on the outer surfaces (i.e. that would bleed through where you could see it). The material is generally only glued on the inner side (i.e body facing) or on the edge surfaces, so I think it's more likely that the stains are from moisture / dirt / detritus that occur from use. My headliner / parcel shelf was quite 'manky' from years of driving with the roof off.

It's personal preference, but aside from the originality aspect I also think that the fabric gives a nicer contrast to the headliner /parcel shelf than plain leather.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  3. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    Thanks Ross, appreciate that. Here is a pic for context. I think i'm going to live with it for a few months and see if it drives me crazy in a few months. I'm about a month into ownership, so the good is so outweighing the negatives at the moment (and the car is super clean, well maintained and was clearly loved) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yeah, most original cars have some form of minor glue staining.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Thats like saying the leather on the seats of the 328s. was not garbage, lol Thats the only complaint I have about the 328. I wish the leather on the seats were more durable, but the seats are easy to recover with new better leather. Ferrari should have used a much better fabric due the the crap that builds up on it from the windows being open, and its impossible to clean, its that simple.

Thank you

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Garbage? The Connolly leaher that Ferrari fitted on the 308-328 seats was the top available. The problem is exactly that top level: it's pure top quality leather without any plastic surface on it, so it's not much strong nor much wear resistant.

Ferrari are not earth moving machinery!

ciao

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Actually, and if my memory serves me well, Conolly was indeed very reputed at that time, but among the different leathers that Conolly offered, the one used by Ferrari was the second best; the first grade was the one selected by Rolls-Royce. I shall do a bit of research on the matter, but I think it has something to do with the grades "Autolux" (1st grade) and "Vaumol" (The "VM" in the Ferrari leather reference) which was the second grade (?)

Rgds

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    According to this source, seems it was the reverse: "Vaumol" was Connolly's first grade, used by Ferrari until the 512BBi; for the V8s, Ferrari used Connolly's "Autolux" initally (not dyed the same way, and thinner than Vaumol), then after 1984, "Autolux" was used for all cars.

http://www.330gt.com/Encyclopedia/Leathers.htm

"[…] Connolly leather came in several finishes.
    The Vaumol finish is a surface dyed color and it was used in most Ferraris through the 512BBi.
    The V8 production used the Autolux finish which is vat dyed on a thinner leather. In 1984, all production changed to Autolux until 2001 when Ferrari stopped using Connolly leather.
    Note, Connolly went out of business in 2002”.

Rgds

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I have on the Classiche red books the VM 8500 for black leather and Autolux 3997 for the cream ones, but the grade ranked leather look and not durability.
    In fact the leather look (grain, flaws) is much more important for a very light color like the cream rather than for a dark color like the black is.

ciao

Rosey likes this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Great posts gentlemen,

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

I saw copy of Ferrari invoice to Maranello concess. LTD from 1988 with 328 and Testarossa. Six cars with interior color Sabbia 3234, Crema 3997 and Nero 8500 : ALL are noted as "AUTOLUX"

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    My black VM 8500 are up to 1986 (66731). My cream Autolux 3997: one from 1983 and one from 1988. And then I have a beige VM 3218 from 1980.