Will the V-12 Survive ? - When's a good time to buy in to one | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Will the V-12 Survive ? - When's a good time to buy in to one

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F2003-GA, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    From what I have found for the EU, only CO2 (above limits) is "fined", everything else is a "stop sale" (too loud, too many particulates and with Euro7, too many fumes...)

That's the problem, if only fines then Ferrari would pay that and move on, but, its much more than that...

Thecadster and paulchua like this.
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I hope thats the case but don't know

paulchua likes this.
  3. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    The Roma getting a V8 raised some eyebrows but it of course is based on the Portofino so that makes sense to me, still a fantastic engine but could be a foreshadow of things to come. It will be interesting to see what replacement comes out for the 812.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Understood, I think the Fine and Loudness are mitigated (most enthusiasts a know get an aftermarket exhaust), Ferrari can add "Euro7 CO2 Fine" as another badge of the owner excess on the window sticker.

The crux is the particulates, which I understand has already been addressed, even with the latest F8.

Not worried about the status of the V12. What to me is more likely is electrification will be employed not from an environmental guise, but simply performance.

Two words whether we like it or not.

Instant Torque.

Some form of electric assistance will generally be eventually faster than ICE.

I know purists lament this and 'pooh-pooh' this development, but progress stops with no one - if Ferrari is about top uncompromising performance, then I argue, it's will further digress from the main pillar if it does not adopt electrification.

If you really are bothered by it, do not be troubled - plenty of classic Ferrari to choose from if the new models are not your cup of tea.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That sounds like the first nail in the N/A V12 coffin

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  8. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Weird article as so often in these days. The headline is about ICEs whereas the text itself talks about petrol and diesel powered cars. When do people start to realize that these terms cannot be used synonymously? The best thing is when people refer to the fossil ICE, as such a thing would exist. An ICE is not fossil, the fuel on which you're running it can be fossil. That's why discussing end dates for ICEs is nonsense. We should discuss end dates for fossil fuels!

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The irony is this is all so silly and unnecessary.

The electricity in your car comes primarily from coal and natural gas, which are burned. You're just converting one energy into another. There may be SOME savings because you can burn natural gas in a large plant cleaner. But the tiny number of V12's out there wouldn't amount to a drop in the ocean of greenhouse gas savings.

It just "feels good" to those who don't own one or care.

"Look! We did something!"

anunakki likes this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Big picture. It is not just burning gas the electric car eliminates. Its oil changes, tune ups, air filters, oil filters, spark plugs, various fluids no longer needed..etc..all gone. Along with it the manufacturing of said parts by various manufacturers.

The reduction in those manufacturing facilities will result in obviously more electricity available. Those businesses will no longer be sucking on the grid making parts no longer needed. You guys are forgetting about the massive draw on electricity that will be eliminated. Yes I understand a massive amount of jobs will be at stake..including my own.

11. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    to me staying alive in this world will be pointless without ferrari . i see no point living on the future vegan, so called green, selfie loving, plastique women, tik-tok loving. pod riding planet .. Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Imma get as many NA V12’s as possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Post of the month !
    +1000

14. Aurora 75

Aurora 75 Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ajmer Somal
    As a new member of this forum, l have recently purchased a 612 and loving it, l have bought it for long term ownership, the future of cars will be fully electric, self driving without any driver engagement apart from operating the entertainment system!! The V12s are of a bye gone era of motoring, and will not survive the ongoing regulation. I live in the UK, where petrol motoring will get more and more expensive as time goes on. Personally, if you can get hold of a V12, get one now, as they will be very rare within a decade or so.

Thecadster, JTSE30 and F2003-GA like this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NON-U.S. COUNTRIES/PROVINCES: GASOLINE PHASEOUT ADVANCES
    1. Austria seeks to to phase out registrations of new gas vehicles by 2027.

2. British Columbia: legislation passed to ban sales of new gasoline cars by 2040

3. Denmark: plans to ban gasoline vehicles by 2030, and hybrids by 2035; has called on the European Union to expressly permit member states to enact 2030 bans.

4. Egypt: working on plan to have only electric vehicles by 2040

5. France: plans to ban sales of gasoline vehicles by 2040

6. Germany: Bundesrat (upper house of legislature) passed resolution to only approve emission-free cars for use on the roads by 2030.

7. Iceland: plans to ban registration of new fossil fuel vehicles starting 2030; Reykjavik is eliminating half its gas stations by 2025.

8. India: set a target of 100% electric vehicles by 2030, and is considering a ban on gas-powered 2- and 3-wheeled vehicles by 2025.

9. Ireland: legislation proposed to only allow sales of zero emissions vehicles starting 2030

10. Israel: plans to ban sales of new gasoline vehicles after 2030

11. Korea: contemplating banning sales of new gas vehicles by 2035

12. Netherlands: all new cars must be emissions-free by 2030; Amsterdam is banning all gasoline/diesel vehicles from its streets by 2030

13. Norway: plans to ban sales of gasoline vehicles by 2025 (currently 60% of new car sales are electric)

14. Portugal: plans to stop selling new gasoline vehicles by 2040

15. Quebec: phasing out sales of new gas cars by 2035

15. Slovenia: plans to ban sales of new fossil fuel vehicles by 2030

16. Spain: plans to ban the sale of vehicles running on fossil fuels by 2040

17. Sri Lanka: plans to ban all fossil fuel vehicles from the roads by 2040.

18. Sweden: plans to ban sales of gasoline cars after 2030

19. Taiwan: plans to ban sales of new non-electric vehicles by 2040

20. UK: plans to ban sales of purely gasoline or diesel vehicles by 2030; Scotland: plans to phase out sales of new gasoline vehicles by 2032.

16. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    I question whether the EU would permit that??

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Is that a net negative in industrial electric draw vs charging all those cars, have you done the math?
    What about the energy input to make, and also recyle the batteries and aluminum to make electric cars light enough.
    My underdstading is were talking significant amounts of new electricity generation needed.

On another subject what about enviromental degradation from mining cobalt etc, or does that not count to greenies because its all in Africa?
    What about the massive enviromental cost in refining rare earths metals.
    So were going to mandate somthing to make Europe and others feel good while trashing the planet elsewhere? I think the move to electric cars has not been throught through in the rush to feel good.

Overall C02 should reduce because electric cars are simply so much more efficient at converting the energy to motion. I think a powerplant runs at 40% efficiency, powerlines and electric cars loose maybe another 10%, Thats 30% energy recapture compared to ICE at under 20% in best case. Plus a others have said power genration can be nat gas, nuclear and wind sun, so less overlal CO2 there also. But cars are something like only 30% of petrolium consumption, so were lookign at a 10% reduction on the 30% cars burn, so lets be genraous and say a 5% CO2 reduction at best with the cost of trashing mining areas and places where rare earths refined.

Electric cars move some air pollution for where people are using the vehicle to elsewhere.

anunakki likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Think of the fun you could have with a bed in the back of that thing with a plastique woman, maybe thyell even come with andorid women. LOl.

I think the ICE car country club will become more of a thing. Lots of open space to really enjoy the machine for those so inclined. Plus with 3 d printing youll be able to have your classic of choice recreated for your driving pleasure at a attainable price. And as a kicker you can summon your electric passenger drone to take you tot he car country club from you backyard to 100 or miles away in 30 mins.

The ebst laid plans of mice and men. Small countries with shorter distances can go all electric, Israel as an example, or Norway.
    Global adoption of electrics is going to unleash many unintended consequences which will slow it down and IMo future fuels will range from electric to hydrogen to oils to... I dont think in the future there will be one solution, its all depedant on use cycle.

maybe when the air is clean enough Ferrari will get 1000 permits per year to build V12s. Or youll just be able to CNC a block, 3d print the rest and drive your new GTO on something like the nurbering.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yes and in converting energy from one form to another you are wasting some amount of energy cause nothing is 100% efficient ... and I wonder how much oil is used in all the plastic components and tires etc...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not my area, but those who know tell me there are significant energy savings when EVs get their juice from natural gas power plants. Don't forget. It takes a lot of energy to produce gasoline and get it in your tank.

But like motorcycles, the inefficiencies of a few thousand V12s doesn't even rate a blip on the radar screen.

anunakki and F2003-GA like this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ill speculate here.
    When the dust settles Ferrai and others will get special dispensation as long as they keep ICE production below 10K units. Similar to how small manufacturers in Uk get special dispensation.
    Flywheel assist will count as Hybrid legislatively so that will be a loophole too. Its really a great V12 with electric assist through the flywheel to fill in Tq gaps down low.
    Italy is not goign to let the EU stop its permier industry, and quietly neitehr will the Germans do same to porche etc.

The paper performance numbers for electric sportscars will be so extreme, Ice will seem quaint exept for the noise.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ford didn't reveal what's next for the V8 but hinted it's not out of ideas yet.

"We're always able to get a little bit more out of [the Coyote]," Schmatz concluded.

Ford will continue developing V8s in the coming years, too. Canadian union Unifor revealed the firm will soon build a new eight-cylinder with 6.8 liters of displacement in Windsor, Canada. Unverified rumors claim the engine will power the next-generation Mustang due out in 2022, and it could find its way to the 14th-generation F-150.

Ram, one of Ford's arch rivals, came to a similar conclusion earlier in 2020. It argued its market research shows its customers are still excited about V8s, especially when they're supercharged to 700-plus horsepower.

Texas Forever and F2003-GA like this.
  23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Where would customers gas up if all the infrastructure over time flips to electric charging - just wondering

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look.. the war on the ICE engine has begun. Doesn't matter what we think or what we say. These higher ups will dictate what we drive. As they say..we dont know what's good for us until we have no choice. Enjoy your gas cars while you can. Soon enough they will be worthless junk. Just like the old tube radios and t.v's.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.