F355 Market | Page 168 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I dont get it either. If the 355 was an F1, especially if it didnt have the updates. But it's a 6 speed. Maybe the color? Silver is more a Porsche color than Ferrari. But that still doesn't explain that much of a gap, or even that there is a gap at all.

A couple somebodys must have really wanted that 348. And it was *very* well presented.

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I tend to think BaT results are pretty erratic given the tiny market that exists for Ferraris. If there aren't at least two people who really want a particular car, it sells below "market" price. This phenomenon doesn't exist for cars that appeal to a bigger market, like 993's, where the auction results are quite consistent. I personally wouldn't roll the dice on selling a 355 on BaT. You could get $100K or $65K, total crapshoot.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Or you could get $165k :)

Yassa, Robb and Targatime like this.
  4. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Service records unavailable on the 355 I think? That hurts a bit.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yassa, JSinNOLA, eyeman1234 and 4 others like this.
  6. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    That's not what I said. I said it's more a Porsche system color. But whatever you need to say to feel like you've scored some kind of points?

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yo Michael, Barry is not sniping at you over this. He regularly posts great companion pieces to many posts. Most bring a smile to all involved.

Barry scores points because he skillfully applies his Ferraris to most tracks across the country. Nuff said there.

I think he, I, and the whole group understand what you are saying about silver and Porsche as a very generalized statement... just like all Ferraris in red as a (staple) “system color” has the same effect in that camp :D

But as a previous owner of a silver 328, and enjoying what it did for the lines of that and the many other Ferraris I have come into contact with, I can assure you that Argento Nurburgring is nothing to sneeze at or dismiss. It is stunning on 348 and 355 in particular. Also 458... and I seem to recall many vintage Fcars in famous collections in that shade - original 250 and TR not withstanding. Will silver on an F-car likely fetch a lower price than an equally spec’d red car... yes. Same for Guards Red on a 911 I think. But both spectrums can be perfect on each car.

Robb

audi_328 and BOKE like this.
  8. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    My absolute favorite color ever put on a Ferrari is Grigio Ingrid (still kicking myself for bowing out on that 360/6speed on BaT this summer), so I hope you understand that I'm not saying "It's red or nothing." WHat I was clearly saying is that red or black are the colors that draw the most attention ($$) because they are what the average person associates with the brand. Setting up his own strawman to knock over only makes him look smart to himself.

Whatevs, done with him.

9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Michael,

SIlver is the racing color of Germany. There will always be silver Porsches. Red is the racing color of Italy. There will always be red Ferraris.
    I owned a Guardsman Red 993tt and I currently have an Argento Nurburgring 575M in my garage. Whatevs.

I have owned Ferraris for 25+ years and my 355 since 1998 when I bought it new. I don't dismiss anything @308 GTB says. Lighten up and get your learn on. The car threads aren't a contest. Always have fun always.

Cheers,
    Marc

WATSON and jimmym like this.
  10. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I defer to your far greater experience with the cars, of course. But when someone acts like "that guy" it has been my experience that I won't enjoy interacting with them. I had to put up with it in a father-in-law for decades, more than a lifetime supply. I've said all I will on this because this is a thread about 355 values. Thank you for trying to be a voice of reason, however. I respect that.

11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You are very welcome, I think.:cool:

I don't know anything about anything. FerrariChat is what you make of it. Try to avoid dismissing any highly knowledgeable posters over a single post.

FerrariChat has a lot of "that guy.":D:D:D

jimmym likes this.
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Michael, take a step back and regroup. You are the very new guy here. Period. And no one is out to get you. We are excited about your ownership. Keep it cordial. Thank you.

Robb

13. Doramon0720

Doramon0720 Karting

Jan 17, 2015
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sorry to create all the troubles. I was simply stunned with the sold price between the two cars. To me, maybe a bit biased because I do own an Argento Nurburgring 355, I feel besides the highly coveted first time buying red, silver is as appreciated as the black. Hence I feel that price is so screwed up because there should be at least 10K to 20K difference between a similar mileage, similar conditioned 348 and a 355. In this case, the 355 had a lower mileage and it actually sold for less, that is what puzzled me!

14. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    These are 20+-year-old used cars selling on BaT. Take each sale as a data point.

Doramon0720 likes this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #4190 johnk..., Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    The 348 just sold. Rare color, metallic black. Beautiful car. The 355 sold last May. Run of the mill 355. Perhaps undesirable mods/options. At least, stuff I wouldn't want.

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mecum , Barrett etc I always see lower prices for the cars there perhaps its the cars themselves but 355'2 360's 575's etc always fetch less that I see on BAT. I always though those would be the place to buy but the occurrence of the auctions and the inventory may not line up with desires. If they line up I suspect it s a good strategy to buy there, especially if your a DIY guy anyhow.

steved033 likes this.
  19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I was at Barret in Scottsdale a couple of times. The 355's (and most other mid-grade cars) were not exactly pristine examples.
    You can not drive them ahead of the auction either.

The guys with the nicer cars being sold invested the days prior to the actual auction being by the car answering questions, offering people to look inside, sit down and start engine, wiping off the desert dust, etc.

Not a single 355 owner was next to any 355 that sold the two times I was there. Dusty car waiting its turn to go across the block....good luck.

Barret is the LAST place I would buy a car and the go-to location to sell one in below average condition.

20. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Barrett Jackson is better for selling hot rods and muscle cars. There are other actions that are better at selling sports cars and exotics.

21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I have been going to car and bike auctions here in Las Vegas for 30+ years. Barrett-Jackson at Mandalay Bay has a lot of nice cars, but for the most part, the cars are poorly prepared and presented while being rapidly hustled across the block. This holds true for everything but the featured lots. Even the charity cars don't get scheduled properly. The majority of the cars are good from far, but far from good. Drunk bidders add a lot to the bottom line.

tres55 likes this.
  22. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    +1.

My VIP passes included 5 (FIVE) free drinks each day. I tip well and the cutie behind the bar never punches the drink card....what could wrong?

Bright lights, pretty girls and alcohol sell cars....
    ...and a bunch of fat, middle aged guys are here trying to make sense of the results. Good luck.

JSinNOLA, tres55, 355dreamer and 2 others like this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    mecum car didn't sell.

sjd

BOKE and 355dreamer like this.