So, this just happened. Damned electricals... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

So, this just happened. Damned electricals...

Discussion in '308/328' started by thorn, Sep 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #101 thorn, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    First major change I made was removing the stock fuse blocks, and installing a blade fuse block pair. OEM relays have all be replaced with modern Bosch-brand relays.

Nearly everything else related to fuel, ignition, or electrical is still as I bought it. Exceptions: the XDI coils had very(!) crude grounds, which I replaced. I also replaced a poor fuel pump ground with heavier gauge wire. Injectors were replaced with newly reconditioned/tested units (SeattleM5). Alternator was dying 2 months ago, which I rebuilt - and it shows proper charging on a meter. Battery is 1-2 yrs old, and in good condition (despite my earlier worry to the contrary).

The Helms fuel hoses, XDI, etc were all present at purchase. I replaced a leaking vacuum hose at the throttle early on; spark plugs were replaced (and properly gapped.) I've done various unrelated things with the suspension, changed the timing belts, and set valve clearances. Oil changes twice a year, regardless of mileage. Accumulator is new, as mentioned above. Exhaust was tested and the mix adjusted with a 5-gas analyzer, about 18 months ago. (It runs slightly rich, but close enough that I decided "close enough".)

(I've done a lot of other things, but those are outside the area of relevance.)

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Hmmmm... Mulling it over....

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As I said earlier, initially I was convinced that it was ignition/electrics related but the video shows a classic running out of fuel symptom. Not to say it's not electrical...I once worked on a car where the coil was defective, misfiring under load when aggressively turning to the left. Otherwise, it ran fine! ;)

Re that - I don't know how it would be done on these cars but is there any way to check the Digiplex for proper operation? I have seen defective ECUs do decidedly weird stuff and the only fix for a bad one is replacement. Frankly, considering all the work you have done with little/no improvement, my eye would be moving toward that ECU. :(

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    It could still be the alternator which is failing when it gets hot. Put a multimeter onto the power to the coil and watch the DC voltage when it dies. Also check for AC in case a diode is failing when hot.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Also feel how hot the fuel pump is when it dies... does it improve if you cool the pump with compressed air, damp cloth etc.?

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    But if the battery can then immediately spin the starter, there is plenty of power to operate the ignition system...at least until the battery runs down. You can disconnect the alternator and the car will run for many miles on just the battery. My most recent alternator failure (not Ferrari) occurred 40+ miles from home and the car made it home on the battery with no trouble at all...

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Mike, the alternator could suddenly increase or decrease the voltage or give a pulsed half wave or AC that could affect the ignition system (but would not affect the battery’s capacity to start the car.)

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It's running an aftermarket ecu for ignition, if the starter is spinning, then the ecu has power. The electromotive unit needs 10-12vdc and less then 1amp to run. Coils pull more, but nothing like the starter.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Have hooked a volt meter up to the fuse box, and watched voltage during the problem arising. Voltage remained at 13+.

Have tested the diodes individually when I rebuilt the alternator; all passed. Also, AC voltage in the power circuit to the XDI ECU is practically non-existent.

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I REALLY have converted myself to believe it's a fuel issue...

In any case, it will be great to find out! Hope that's soon and without additional expense!!

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #111 derekw, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Can you easily put another ignition system in? It could be the Electromotive system failing when hot? Or a coil going bad.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't have a spare ECU, no. If the upcoming replacements don't solve it, I'll send the unit to Ekectromotive for testing.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I would do the easy things first-- starter spray to rule out fuel issues and timing light in the cockpit to confirm it's ignition. If you know the output specs of the sensor for the XDI? You may be able to see the pulse with a multimeter.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Have not followed the entire thread. However have you checked the connectors behind the fuse block - and the ones under the passenger floor? the Fuse for the fuel pump circuit gets really hot in 308's ... I wonder if your connectors are burned out or burning out? also there is a protection relay in the right rear trunk - that could also be corroded - loose etc. with full power coming through the charging system ... you could be providing more power than it was used to... lots of resistance. .... my old 308 had tons of those issues.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I saw your video. If you have not tried this - give it a shot. Under the antenna pull up the carpet. under that you'll see a plate with 4 bolts - remove the plate. check that the relay's fuse is good - also check that all wires and connectors are tight dry and not corroded.

then check all your aux air hoses from the Auxillary air valve to the intake - I can't remember where they are on the QV - but a pinhole in these can cause havoc - as they expand & contract. but usually don't cause the car to stall... the only other thing that comes to mind is the under the idle mixture screw there is a small rubber grommet.. mine had deteriorated over time causing a huge air leak,... which gave lots of running problems. as it warmed up the car would die at idle... but I'm thinking that you have a bad connector in the trunk area. the one on the driver's side is the Digiplex... doubt that is a cause - but could be.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hall sensor: Arrived. Waiting on some 1K resistors from Amazon, but will soon start constructing the harness and connections.

Bosch fuel pump: also arrived.

Fuel filter: this one may be an annoying replacement, as it's a different filter than the one I currently have... and the fittings are different sizes; I can't connect the new one to the existing hoses. Hoping NAPA will be able to assist.

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Fuel filter.... Very likely not.. They are metric straight threads and bubble fittings... Nothing adapts to them. They look AN but are very much not. You'll need the right filter, shouldn't be hard to get.
    When I update the CIS to EFI I get adapter fittings for metric to AN and ditch all the factory tubes that use the goofy bosch fittings, it's intentional on bosch's part and makes sense, just a pita these days as CIS is obsolete. Filter is not Ferrari unique, VW or mercedes, saab, volvo.. Etc.. though more often then not it's shared with mercedes.

Pick-up resister isn't strictly needed but does help with SNR at rpms over ~6k. EMI is high from the plug wires. (Capacitative coupling)

thorn likes this.
  18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Spent about an hour with the car this evening. Got the new Hall sensor mocked up in place; forgot my gauge set at work, so I'll finalize installation tomorrow after I can properly gap it. The wires aren't quite long enough, so I'll be soldering extensions. I considered using a Weathertech 3-pin harness connection to bridge it to the XDI, but have decided that the less breaks in the circuit - the better. And I see little advantage in putting in a secondary connection anyway. The old mag sensor wire was routed under the valley of the plenum; for the new one, I'll be going along the upper-back of the engine bay instead. The less heat and cross-talk involved, the better.

Most difficult task was removing the fuel filter. My wrenches are far too long for the space allotted. But, managed it. The label is almost unreadable - perhaps from the gas that dripped on it while I removed it. I can tell it's a Hengst filter; for better or worse, I'm ordering this one and hoping it will work. The part numbers both end in "4" so I might be correct.

As to the pump - hey, let's have a picture. On the left is what was in the car - a Walbro pump. Not a make I'm familiar with. On the right, the new Bosch pump. Not that size means everything, but the difference in size is notable. (Amusingly, the Walbro case is stamped with "20 Amp Fuse Required" - the Ferrari has an 15 Amp fuse, of course.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 likes this.
  19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I know of Walbro pumps for over 20 years, it has long been popular as an aftermarket upgrade fuel pump in the Miata world when adding power (turbo, supercharger, etc). Decent quality and reliable... but not what I'd necessarily put in a 308, either!

20. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    CIS requires not only flow but pressures far greater then most EFI pumps. EFI pumps do not work for CIS systems.

21. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thursday evening (last night) -

Fuel filter identical to the old one arrived, so had no issues with mismatched fittings. Installed it along with the new fuel pump. Small fitting leak once the system pressurized, but tightened it a bit and no more drips. So far, so good.

Finished the installation of the Hall sensor. Doublecheck all the pins, wires - yep, everything looks perfect. Time to crank the car, and see what happens. Engine turned over/over/over but wouldn't start. Hm... had a feeling it was the sensor - perhaps a wiring issue? So, I pull the old Mag sensor back in. Car fired right up (and idled quite well, actually.) Still no fuel leaking, yay.

Not giving up on the Hall sensor, did some more reading and found this info in XDI's FAQ section:

"Make sure the unit has been configured for use with a hall sensor. All units default to magnetic sensor input mode and must be reconfigured when using a hall sensor. See your manual for directions."

Cool, makes sense. Let's check the manual for directions. Manual has no directions on the procedure. At all.

Called XDI, left a voicemail. Hoping they'll return the call. In the meantime - if anyone knows the magic path to reconfiguration, I'd love to hear about it. ;)

22. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Go get the wife's hair dryer and heat up the mag sensor while your car is idling. See if it stalls once you get it hot.

Aaron

Saabguy, thorn and derekw like this.
  23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Good progress. A lot of us are cheering for you!

24. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Asking the obvious, did you add the 5V for the Hall sensor? Did you get it from pin 19 on the XDI unit? I've read through all the XDI docs at least twice in the past week, but now that you mention it I went back and couldn't find the note I was sure I read about the Hall being a direct substitute once it had 5V.

I'm getting ready to install my XDI finally, 2 years after I bought it from Nick's, and got curious about the Hall sensor after reading Scott comment at least twice that he disliked the mag sensor and preferred the Hall sensor. (Which Hall sensor, the Electromotive unit?) What resistor are you adding and why? The Electromotive online store entry for their Hall sensor says it includes a pull-up resistor so no additional resistor is needed.

Very interested in hearing what Electromotive says!

Gordon

25. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I just had the same problem, that white plastic vertical connector was bad, it turned brown as well, my symptoms were that the car would fail to start intermittently . then it failed for good. I thought it was the fuel pump relay, because it was making a very bad buzzing sound, I replaced it, and it did not solve the problem, my mechanic found the vertical connector to be the culprit. Im not sure this helps Thorn.

Thank you

greg328 likes this.