Ferrari culture vs aftermarket parts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari culture vs aftermarket parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by Felix Yuen, Nov 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Wow, very interesting circumstance. That’s the first I’ve heard of a head gasket failure on a 360. It sounds like you really rebuilt it the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dbdreams likes this.
  2. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    Everyone including my mechanic in the Ferrari know says they have never heard of a head gasket blowing before but it happened to me last Thursday.

3. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    That’s such a bummer. What is the mileage on yours?

4. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    A little less than 38k miles

5. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Did your car previously have a heat exchanger failure? Mine failed around 40k miles, and I’m wondering if that could be a cause of overheating and warped heads. Fortunately my heat exchanger issue was fixed before any major damage happened, but I wonder if the two issues have any correlation.

6. dbdreams

dbdreams Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Hayden, Alabama, USA
    Full Name:
    David W. Burnett, Jr.
    I am not really sure, I just got the car August 15, 2020 and had only put about 2k miles on it since then with no issues with overheating

7. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    great, now with a front end $19k damage, how much should it reflect in the price ? $5000 ? $10000 ?
    I guess its kinda hard to put a number to these things.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You are in the right range.

9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ultimately it depends on the buyer. If someone is looking for a 'driver' and a bump on the front end that didn't damage anything structurally (aesthetic/cosmetic damage only) is all that happened, it probably won't affect value as much. Of course that's assuming a car that was already a driver's car, and not a low-mileage "collection" car.

imahorse likes this.
  10. ckrescho

ckrescho Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Christopher Kreschollek
    I've only heard of a 3 angle valve job.

11. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I came up in the 90s sport-compact scene, and 5-angle valve jobs were fairly common among the machine shops back then (and i would imagine significantly further back than that, but I don't have personal knowledge to make a hard-and-fast statement); however, it was pretty well known that outside of seriously high performance applications, a 3-angle (which was significantly less money, and when you're in your late teens/early 20s that's a factor ;) ) would provide more than enough gains in sealing and flow that most guys didn't opt for the full 5. typically those who did were extracting every tiny bit of HP from a high-compression, high-revving NA build.

hence.... ;)

ckrescho likes this.
  12. ckrescho

ckrescho Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Christopher Kreschollek
    I suppose it's just the tool used in cutting the valves.

armedferret likes this.
  13. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #38 armedferret, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Almost. ;)

It's the valve seat that's being machined, not the valve itself.

Honestly, a DIY type could get 95% of the effect of a fresh valve job (provided no damage, of course) by throwing some lapping compound on the perimeter of the seat face around the valve head, holding it firmly against the seat, and spinning it. Sort of like lapping bolt lugs to a rifle receiver.

if the valve or the head have suffered any damage at all, though, it's probably wise to "while you're in there" and replacing parts already, go ahead and cut out the old seats, install new ones, and do a valve job. it'll be in the machine already getting milled for flatness anyway.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    This. But the overall condition of the car and service history is more important, unless I don’t like the mods and it would be expensive to undo them. Bodywork mods are the worst. They’re costly to undo, and only cosmetic. I’d pass on any car that had anything more than a swap to an OEM challenge rear grill.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

armedferret likes this.