Excessive force | FerrariChat

Excessive force

Discussion in 'Australia' started by moretti, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 moretti, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Hi guys,

I know I said I was leaving for a while and I am but circumstances changed dramatically for me on Friday when I went to Surfers Paradise to do some work for the company I contract to.

I've told the story to a couple of you so please forgive me for repeating myself.

I took Neralee with me in the Lexus so she could sit in the loading zone while I fixed the machine that was on the other side of the road (20 minute zone but you can never count on the parking cops NOT giving you a ticket so she was insurance)

There were no spots vacant when we got there so at a stop light with no other cars in the street we swapped positions while the lights were red and I also pulled the touch sensor out I was replacing.

Three young police (2 male 1 female) saw us do this and made an off the cuff remark "you can't do that" to which I said "I'm not impeding anyone" and they repeated their comment and I said "whatever" .

I had a ladder, my laptop and the large sensor in a cardboard box one metre by half a metre so it was cumbersome but not overly heavy and it was easier to unload there and walk across the road while Neralee drove around the block until I finished.

So, what should have ended there became a nightmare.

The cops went up the road (50metres) to the crossing, then across the road and back down 50 metres to where I was working on replacing the touch sensor which entailed cutting the double-sided tape on the old sensor to get it off.

They tell me curtly to put the knife down which I did and one of the cops kicks the knife down the street !!

I ask him what that was for and he says WH&S and then they proceed to question me about what I'm doing (it's all on the body cam I'm told so will be interesting to see if the imagery is made available )

They ask for ID and I asked why do they need this but then realise with all of the stupidity for this COVID rubbish we didn't need to get into that so I hand my license over to a cop who is behaving very belligerent towards me .

Now I can be a smartarse as everyone that knows me can attest to but in this instance I could see they had some other motive for the inquisition so I reigned my horns in and made sure I did not swear or do anything that should raise the hackles.

I did say to them "are you guys bored or something and that whatever they wanted to say to say it and leave me to get back to my job"

They were interviewing me on the supposed traffic misdemeaner and making up lies that there were cars I was impeding, no such case and I called the young female cop out on that and said she was perpetrating lies to justify this inquisition (hopefully on body cam again)

Then the belligerent cop came back and proceeded to continue trying to push my buttons and I was trying to explain that I have medical issues that prevent me standing in the sun for more than about 10 minutes before I start to feel unwell due to losing a lot of the thin padding on the top of your head from my car accident many years ago. This covering does a surprisingly good job of keeping the head cool so now with just skin graffs on bone the head heats up quickly and makes me ill, hence the need to finish the job quick and doing it in the early part of the day, and I have to wear a hat (NASA of course)

So, not happy that he can't get a belligerent response they proceed to say I am causing a disturbance by talking to them in a loud manner and that they were now arresting me for creating a public disturbance !

Remember, they went out of their way to come over the road and question me for a supposed traffic infringement (I did not get a traffic infringement notice of any kind BTW)

So now I'm getting arrested and I said to them I need to close the door on the machine as it had exposed wiring and I had a duty of care from a WH&S perspective for my company towards the public but they refused to allow me to secure the site and grabbed my arms and pulled them behind me.

Now again, due to the car accident I have limited mobility in my left shoulder due to rotor cup reconstruction and tendon damage and putting my arm behind my back is that limitation so to forcefully ram my arm behind my back is excruciating pain to say the least and the body's reflex action is to move away from the object causing the pain at which point they said stop resisting and the with me defenseless in handcuffs they shoulder charged me onto the footpath where I smashed my head onto the footpath (black eye and grazed right side of the head)

Now over the years I have instinctively turned my head to the left so as to protect the triple fractures I received in the said car accident and doctors (who can trust them :) ) have said if I get hit in the right spot of the head I could easily be killed as the way the head was fractured it had weaked it.

To top it all off I got DVT coming back from Canada last year and am on anti-coagulent medication to thin the blood and because they had put the handcuffs on so tight and then slammed me into the footpath I was now suffering from deep gashes to my right arm and bleeding uncontrollably due to the medication.

Was I taken to the hospital for treatment ?

No way, put in the back of a paddy wagon and taken to Surfers police station where I was put in a cell and allowed to bleed all over the place.

Eventually one of the cops handed me some paper towels and asked if I wanted medical treatment (for the damage they caused!!) to which I replied in the affirmative and they called for an ambulance.

Neralee who is a very qualified nurse of some 46 years was downstairs and I asked if she could come and look at the damage and see if there was something that could be done.

I was not offered any kind of pain killers but was given an ice pack by the cop that shoulder charged me from behind (do I hear someone saying mitigating the consequences later in court ??)

After half an hour no ambulance had arrived and the pain was radiating down my arm towards the shoulder and I asked when the ambulance was going to arrive and they said "it's pending" , so I said just charge me and let me go to the hospital

The cops carried some of my possessions down to the car where neralee was waiting , I loaded up the car (that hurt!!) hopped in the passenger seat because I am now incapable of driving and the female cop was telling Neralee 3 times the ambulance had been delayed to which she replied curtly "I've got it !!" and we went to the hospital for X-rays and a general examination.

The doctor looked at me in a surprised manner when I related how I received the injuries but didn't seemed surprised other than it had happened to an elderly man who wasn't on drugs or had been drinking.

I have never been handcuffed in my life , no criminal convictions, traffic infringements - plenty, but just a normal , hard working, pay your taxes and bills on time AND I'm 66yo going to work to fix a machine kind of day.

I did not expect to be harassed by the police, get threatened several times with being arrested and then eventually being arrested AND brutalised by the police who did everything they could to escalate rather than de-escalate the situation, but THEY went out of their way to come over and give me 2 tickets for preventing an officer performing his duty and disturbing the peace ($400 each BTW) when it should have ended at the comment they made about not swapping drivers at the lights.

But THEY went out of THEIR way to continue questioning me behaving in a belligerent manner to a person who was performing corrective action on a defective machine on the pretence that it was about traffic violations and yet I have NO fine for that matter but after THEIR interaction I am now injured, fined and incapacitated and can't drive so no mini G for me.

And as you can see by the time this was written my sleep pattern is all over the place due to being asleep all day as my body shut down to repair itself.

I write this as a warning, I reigned in my natural behaviour because the cops up here have a culture of behaving this way , not all of them , but enough to warrant me behaving in any manner that might give them opportunity to haul you over the coals, AND I still ended up in trouble

They were rude and intimidating to both me and Neralee as I found out later and they will find out one thing for sure ..... they picked the wrong people to do this to.

I woke up Friday with a plan of work I needed to do , got to my first job and ended up in hospital due to excessive force used by 3 young cops (20 somethings) against a frail 66yo upper middle class working male

To all of those that called me I greatly appreciate the thought (Gary, Dave, Horse, Gezim, etc)

This rubbish between Ian and I is insignificant in the bigger scheme of things, behaving like little girls pulling each other's hair should be left on the playground but I will still be taking a sabbatical from fchat as I need to sort out a lot of things as Neralee and I are moving soon after I sell my house on the Gold Coast, as if my life hasn't been complicated enough recently

But I have made some great friends here (I truly can't think of anyone I hate, not Ian, not Peter, not anyone) and I have the phone numbers of those I am a little closer to so if any of you would like to call some time in the future I'd be more than happy to have a chin wag.

Cheers

John

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sounds like you need Aussie Fchat more than ever to help destress. Throwing insults at each other can be quite cathartic

By the way, you said forever not a while, but it’s ok you can come back :p

Terrible story and shocked to hear you’re 66. Sorry, but I did lol at “upper middle class” BTC!!!

Take care John, go hard after those cants

Maranello550 and Arvin Grajau like this.
  3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Shocking to read this John ,take care .And take this further ..local ,Fed member ect .

Issue is now you have a criminal record do you meet .
    1.F/chat standards of membership?
    2.FCA/AFR standards of membership...............that shouldn't be an issue.:)

1 out of 2 is ok........I guess.

Take care ,lets talk when your released.

Maranello550 and greg246 like this.
  4. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Greg but I thought the loan you gave me gave me greater "status" and it went to my head ..... I actually meant to type " I have no class" which everyone knows is closer to the truth

And thanks Robbie, funny how this happened just the next day after your call ..... did you call on a favour the QPS owe you ? :)

Maranello550 likes this.
  5. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Where they f..ed up is you have your partner as a witness ...pen to paper for both of you while the event is fresh in your minds.

!st thing i would do is change the rego # on your lexus. its marked now .

Legal aid for advice they love this type of action.

The QLD police force will have an internal complaints department ...need to take this further ............I wan't these grubs of the streets by the time i next do Surfers P.

6. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you know how hard it was for him to get the plate “GAY LEX”???

BTW John, we will have a beer for you.

Get well, move away from the Gold Coast, and stay on FChat where all you get is respect!

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

Maranello550 and greg246 like this.
  7. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Post some photos John, it really is unbelievable what happened to you and should not go unpunished in my opinion.

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  8. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    John,

what a shocking experience. Under the cover of WuFlu, much of Australia has become a police state. Find a lawyer with a track record in such cases and sue the bastards for 7 figures.

KIAI
    (lower middle class working gender non-specific)

Gizzi, DMWC, Arvin Grajau and 3 others like this.
  9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Whatever beefs there are here, must end. Put those mad cows on a barge, water under the bridge and all that. Let 'em go from "see, cows" to sea cows.

As for the disgusting ****wipes whom should not have harmed a hair on your pointy head, we're all on your side & so's your bodycam.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  10. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He used to have a pointy head, not anymore which is part of the problem.

11. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Are you trying to say “pics or it didn’t happen “?

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll get them off Neralee's phone but ask her permission first as she get's very protective of her photos as some people, including me , know
    Ian, as usual , a considered response and I gratefully thank you for your response to this unforseen occurrence.

Our handbags at 10 paces tiff is forgotten by me and never to be mentioned again .

I am already going down this track and Neralee has lodged a complaint while I was in hospital and because she is what she is , she did it in the manner that the police are use to but she was lied to (told she could ONLY lodge it through the desk sargent - not true) so she is livid at the lies that are already being perpetrated (they're circling the wagons)

The police here have always had this culture so it's not hard to see why they are like they are here, and that is only from my personal experience in living here 30+ years. The Ferrari just makes it worse but then I've never had a good track record with the HWP but I've never been in trouble of any kind with the regular beat cops as I have a couple of family in the NSW police force and respect the terrible job they have to do with domestics, bikies , etc.

They see people from years ago who perpetrated these types of crimes and got away with it and are then promoted so it's obviously fine to behave like this by those standards.

There use to be a time in my life where police and clergy were respected people but the onset of time has tarnished both and incidences such as this have turned me to start looking differently at how the aboriginal people have been treated ...... if they can do this to me what chance do they have ?

I'm glad I was thinking about what I was saying rather than running off at the mouth which I'm told I can do :)

This can only look bad for them, traffic violations ?
    None !
    Causing a disturbance ?
    they started it mum !
    resisting arrest ?
    mobility issues which they did not listen to !
    I'm a frail old man, they were THREE fit, armed police
    I was in handcuffs when I was shoulder charged from BEHIND, a cowardly act if ever I've seen one (hopefully the centre where I was working has CCTV in that location.)
    deep cuts to my wrist with blood everywhere due to the anti-coags
    could possibly have killed me with the shoulder charge smashing me head first to the ground

Whatever happened to the "one punch " laws ?

This was worse, and perpetrated by the very people who are supposed to enforce the law !!

Thanks again for your concern :)

13. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Looking forward to being a Toolie at Schoolies again?

Arvin Grajau and Maranello550 like this.
  14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    This is unbelievable! Sorry to hear mate and I wish you a speedy recovery. :eek:

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
  16. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    This was "just going to work" !!!

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Gutless bastards!! Makes me angry seeing these pics!!

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Jeez! that’s over the top... take care John.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While I totally understand your plight and hope you recover soon a couple things come to mind:

Context yours...cops have no way of knowing your medical history. If you know your physically disabled it is unwise to encourage a physical confrontation even with passive aggressive verbiage.

Context theirs...You do not understand that cops deal with bad people all day long. This immediately does not give you the benefit of the doubt. On the street you are guilty until proven innocent. When a cop's spidy senses stop tingling they can end up dead. Dealing with bad guys is one thing. Surviving an encounter with one is something else. 99% of us never have to worry about whether we are going to see our kids tonight.

Absolute power...when someone or 3 have absolute power over you maybe mouthing off your rights is not such a good thing?

Lawyer...nothing comes from doing professional things if you are a non-professional. If you think you got a case have your lawyer file complaints and lawsuit the right way. If you escalate you have to do it the way where you have power. Nothing is to be gained from an inferior position.

Sorry if I sound like an ******. It's OK, I have been called one many times.

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    All I got from that was "elderly"

Maranello550, Steve355F1 and greg246 like this.
  21. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Old mate, this ain't Chicago. The risk of a cop getting shot confronting an elderly (can't stop saying that) tech with a ladder is about zero. The cops were way out of line. There will be a mad scramble of arse-covering now, but JM has them dead to rights.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    JM, as we discussed, take daily photos. And re-take the R cheek shot - there's shadowing that makes it unclear. Don't forget to tell them that you used to be good-looking - one little white lie won't hurt.

Steve355F1 likes this.
  23. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Admission is the first step to a cure

I'll die one day, hopefully there's a cure, but your lot won't find it

I just read Neralee's account of the incident and all it shows is that the police lie and circle wagons (she even put in exactly what she called the cop that refused to tell her what had happened to me truthfully - not very lady like )

Anyway, Fatbillybob, this is Australia, we have different standards we hold our police force to (they are not elected like your police), and I KNOW the area I was in is a hot spot on the Gold Coast for bad behaviour and understand the cops deal with drunks and druggies coming out of the nightclubs BUT, I was obviously working (ladder, backpack, etc) , told them I was going over the road to fix a machine, no raised voices, no abuse, normal working day for me and they were just going for a stroll around the block from their station and made an off the cuff remark which they never followed up on (Blocking traffic ?) because they knew it was a crock and came after me to shove what little power they had down my throat (little men big problems) and I refused to be intimidated but I was never disrespectful, in hindsight I'm glad I was restrained in my comments as they just look worse and worse

24. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    this is what I looked like before the altercation

Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax, greg246 and Steve355F1 like this.