F8 or STO? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Like your 765LT is going to win any beauty contests

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    The STO was truly based on a race car. Not BS like the usual marketing BS. The STO designs were designed to win races. Beauty came second. The fact that it's beautiful is a side effect. Art meets science.
    Usual Italian design is...design first and then make then it work. I love the Countach, but that is a great example. Clearly, they form was a priority.
    With Germans, function first and then let the designers try to make it look pretty.
    The STO was able to combine both ethos. It's functional first, then attractive. Which makes it stunning. Very few 'things' can pull this off. Its a rare harmoney of design and function.
    That is why it's unique.
    I can't believe they are building this. It's not for everyone. Any pure design by nature is full of compromise. Most consumer products are created to appeal to the broadest audience possible. The fact that Lambo made this car knowing they would lose buyers who were concerned about luggage space makes me love this car. No compromises.

3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    One would assume this regarding rear visibility. I have the transparent engine bonnet on my Huracan and it is far from ideal with glass distortion and sunlight reflection off the engine. Many argue that the rear visibility is superior with the louvered rear compared to glass. Ive yet to drive a car with the louvered rear but it would be an interesting comparison.

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Dont give a sh-t about luggage space. Take the wife's Merc if thats a concern.

What I dig is the frunk designed specifically to hold a helmet. Though I infrequently track, thats still pretty cool.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #205 Shadowfax, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    STO is not the only car that's been based off a race car though and therefore is not unique. I personally love the ethos of it and having a naturally aspirated V10 engine but entire luggage space removal is a compromise few would be prepared to live with and does relegate the car to track purposes only. But then in that situation there better cars for that. Even Lambo has their own full blown track version which looks and sounds equally as good as STO. Mac has the Senna, 620R and now 765LT, Porsche has GT2/3rs which are equally as hard core as this road going STO. The only element one could argue as not being there is a naturally aspirated engine in the Macs but then they (765) also sound very good from what I can hear so far on the clips.

Those who say they don't care maybe don't do demanding long course rd trips as some of us do but if they did would soon start caring. To take a car like a merc or suv on some of these rds would be considered a crime. Having a car suitable for circuit use is fun but its also nice to have the option of taking it into the wild for a few days.

PS. And the space for the helmet is only novel - helmet is meant to be on the head.

Napoli likes this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Want to do long road trips, the STO isn’t for you.

Get an F8 more luggage space and your wife will be happy it sounds and drives like a Bentley.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Wearing a helmet when you’re driving to and from the track?

Oh you’re THAT guy

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I like the look of functional aero bits, vents, S Ducts, spoilers, as they create a super- race car aesthetic. That is one of the reasons I find the 458 too bland. An attractive look for an Aston Martin or Roma but not a super car.

9. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    ALA is old news. When I attended the preview event for the Sian in NYC they mentioned future models would be designed to be more aero which would allow them to integrate a lot of the aero components thus giving a cleaner look.

GT3RS wing = looks amazing, suits the car and it's not that big. The STO wing = it looks too big, doesn't look good. I don't get it lol. :D

Boomhauer, Coincid and dustman like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Surfah is on a tear. STO criticism has awakened the sleeping bear.

11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Would bet money if you got a STO you would keep it longer than your F8. Just saying

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My eyes see the winner of Miss Universe.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    1000% agree - This car is in a league of its own for me covers all bases!! - Been playing on the configurator all night :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not ruling out a STO purchase. Clearly I have no blind allegiance to any super car brand. In the last year I have gone from the Performante to F8 to 765.

dustman likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Do I got loud Arancio or verde mantis or stealth Grigio lynx?

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

765 is likely the fastest of them all so I think you are set for a little while now;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Respect the 765LT it’s a beast. But as many say tracking is won on corners and not straights and that’s where the STO will shine. Not sure how much garage space you have but owning both would be tits

Ash Patel, Boomhauer and Coincid like this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U really think the 765LT can be beat?
    I mean Ferrari barely did as good as the 720s with the pista and the F8. I think it’s king for a little while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincid likes this.
  20. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Can't wait to see this beast on the track but for now enjoy...

Shack and Thecadster like this.
  21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Never said that the STO will beat the 765. STO will not excel at drag racing but will perform at circuits with corners.

Fact STO is 3 seconds faster than the Perf at Daytona. Super trofeo has 3 consecutive class victories at 24 hours of Daytona and 2 consecutive titles at 12 hours of Sebring. It is fast and cognoscenti believe it will unseat the AMG GT BS at the Ring.

Boomhauer, Shack and Thecadster like this.
  22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
  23. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    STO will take the ring record. Lamborghini didn't spend tons of money on STO R&D for it not to break it. We'll have to wait until next Spring.

09Scuderia, Shack and Thecadster like this.
  24. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
  25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    And now the bad news........you’re quickly running out of brands ......