FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 24 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    P1 in ct, bradan on long island. I dont know the nj shops.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Pooldik

Pooldik Rookie

Nov 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Robert Hunka
    Thanks much tt

ttforcefed likes this.
  3. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Ferrari didn't fix the DCT sensor issue for the 458 or first gen California when they were failing, Ferrari don't really care much, i think they count on their customers not putting many miles on the car, and by the time things fail the car has exchanged hands or ran out of warranty. Great brand, not very reliable and don't stand by their product- Porsche put a 10 year, TENNNNNNN YEAR warranty on their 991.1 GT3's when they discovered engine issues

4. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    And we keep buying Ferraris. And trying to make them better every time we work on them. Must be a cult !!

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Exactly, even with the headaches we go through, if anyone asked me what do i want my next car to be...i'll say another Ferrari lol this is what Ferrari banks on!

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hello Everyone, Did Ferrari ever deal with this PTU issue? Is there a year when they finally fixed it or this problem across all years? This reminds me of the carrier gear issue on BBi, Testarosa, and 512 TR. After about ten years of gear boxes exploding, they fixed the part in '94 the last year of 512 TR.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nope. Lussos are guilty as well

vraa likes this.
  8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

WOW! Thanks!

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Luckily we now have a fix from 3rd parties. It’s the same as with rebuilding F1 actuators. Ferrari didn’t want to know so others have solved the problem.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    any progress? all good?

11. evanmcm

evanmcm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2009
    Chicago
    Also wondering if anyone has had experience to report with these 3rd party fixes, as this is probably the one thing that sticks in my mind when browsing listings for used FFs...

12. Gabbo99

Gabbo99 Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve Clark
    I had a PTU failure out of warranty, the dealer only wanted to sell me a complete unit which was likely to fail again anyway! I have a ex Ferrari tech (Martin Parkes) who looks after my car for issues outside of annual servicing. As the seals and the the actuator forks are not very well made we set out to get the forks and seals re-engineered. This took some time but the results are they are made out of much stronger materials. I have done many miles since the repair and the car has been perfect. Happy to recommend Martin to anyone who is having this PTU issue.

350MH83, otakki, evanmcm and 5 others like this.
  13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #588 ANOpax, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Welcome to the forum Steve and thank you for relating your story and the fix. Can you tell us what year your car is and how old it was when the PTU failed (and the mileage it failed at)? Can you also tell us how many miles you’ve put on the car since Martin (SS Autotech) re-engineered the PTU for you?

thank you.

otakki, evanmcm, Altoria F and 2 others like this.
  14. Gabbo99

Gabbo99 Rookie

Dec 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve Clark
    My car is 2012 done approx 13k miles when it happened. I have done 4k miles since with no issues at all. The main issue is the the recess for the circlip that holds the seals in isn't machined deep enough so with the oil pressure it forces the circlip off and pops the sealout causing the 2 fuilds to mix in the box. Replacing the seal would be only a short term fix. The actuator forks I now have in the PTU are not cast like the originals, but machined from a single billet and then the tips coated for extra strength. Its an amazing piece of engineering, just let down but the original manufacturing process.

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  16. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Steve. How long ago did the PTU fail? I keep a database of known failures and one of the datapoints is the car's age at the time of failure. Thanks again.

vraa likes this.
  17. sakyubasu

sakyubasu Rookie

Apr 4, 2021
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Troy S
    I’m aware the PTU never really got much better from the factory, but as for the Getrag DCT, is anyone aware of what year they did a ‘upgrade’ to the internals?

They started the AMG GT in 2015 labeled as a 2016 model so I’m curious if the 2016 FF’s are a better bet than a 2015 FF, since the 2016 FFs would share the same internals as a AMG GT. I don’t want to budget fixing a DCT and a PTU.

18. rjongco

rjongco Rookie

Sep 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert jongco
    Is anyone doing this repair in the US??

19. sakyubasu

sakyubasu Rookie

Apr 4, 2021
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Troy S
    rjongco likes this.
  20. rjongco

rjongco Rookie

Sep 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    robert jongco
    350MH83 likes this.
  21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Well, it's been nearly a year since the last update on the PTU failure register. In that time, four more examples of failure have been posted on FChat but it's worth noting that two of the failures date back to 2019 so there have only been 2 'new' failures in 2020/21.

There are now 22 confirmed PTU failures reported on FChat. There are other anecdotal failures too - a couple with track abuse and one with front end crash damage.

The best case failure rate is if we have a record of all PTU failures (and we know for a fact that we don’t). Of the 22 reported PTU failures, 15 are for FFs. In that case, the best case failure is 0.8% over a weighted fleet age of 8.33 years. That’s a failure rate of 0.1% per annum. If only 15% of the owners with a PTU problem reported it on here then the true failure rate would be 0.65% each year. That’s equivalent to 12 cars a year in Europe+Americas or 19 cars a year worldwide.

The correlations between age and mileage at the point of failure haven't been altered much by the four new data points (they've declined slightly).

Here's the chart including the ex-Lederman car. Average mileage and age at point of failure are 17,950 miles and 4.4 years. The standard deviation of both are 11,350 miles and 1.9 years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Removing the ex-Lederman car from the sample, we get the correlation below. The average mileage at point of failure falls to 16,150 miles but age rises slightly to 4.5 years. The mileage standard deviation falls to 8,700 miles but, again, age rises slightly to 2.0 years. The ex-Lederman car skews the mileage up because he drove it so much but this same factor also has the effect of skewing the age stats down!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, vraa, Nospinzone and 1 other person like this.
  22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    In 2020 my service manager noticed a VERY SLIGHT noise coming from the front when car was put in 1st gear and just started to move forward. He flushed the PTU and that solved the problem. I had 38k miles at the time. I wonder if that prevented a failure

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

23. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    As a bit of side bar, since I just got my FF a couple of weeks ago I got into the conversation about PTU failures with the service manager at my dealer. He told me he started working at the dealer in 2011 right when the FF was coming in, and said he's had maybe 5-6 failures in his entire time there. So at this rate we'll say 1 failure every 2 years for their entire pool of FF's serviced. He understandably couldn't give me an estimate of how many FF's they've serviced, he just told me it was a lot, too many to even think of counting.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there are only about 3k FFs in the world, so break that down by region and dealer and mathematically it cant be more than a few. even a huge dealership may have max of 50 they see.

papou and rhern213 like this.
  25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Yeah makes sense, so we can easily assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%-15% failure rate for them.