F8 or STO? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Or perhaps some of these ‘additional racing features’.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #252 Shadowfax, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    The helmet could well weigh quite a bit too. It may pay to leave it in the compartment for a bit of extra downforce. If worn at Cars and coffee it also helps identify the owner. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though.

3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I don’t recall seeing any mention of powertrain upgrades which leads me to believe it’s a Huracan Evo engine with gold valve covers. All of its direct competitors (GT2 RS, Pista, 765 LT, GT BS) offered substantially new or reworked engines to help justify the value. Perhaps there is something more that I’ve not yet seen, but for now I can only assume it’s an Evo with an ECU tune.

SECRET likes this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    There is only so much they can do with the current motor... . This is where a change in decals is helpful....along with a roof scoop that does the best part of nothing.

uhn2000 likes this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The biggest disappointment is that the engine is unchanged from the Performante.This runs contrary to every track focused model by the other super carmakers, but is explained by 2 factors. First it appears that 631 HP is the upper limit of power that can be squeezed from this engine. Secondly, Lamborghini has always reduced the power of their RWD models compared to the AWD due to traction issues. In the STO, since they have left the HP unchanged, they have reduced the torque to address grip at launch. This is reflected in the company's posted slower 0-60, 0-120 and 1/4 mile times.The STO is all about driving involvement and engagement, not setting drag or track records.

Shack likes this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Question is will they succeed in making a track focused version of a car slower at Hockenheim than the original car? ;) :D

Napoli and Thecadster like this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a Performante. I’ve had it for 3 years now and I adore it. I am not offended in the slightest by the STO. I’m a big boy. I understand that the show must go on. Indeed, I am presently spec’ing a STO for Q3/Q4 delivery with the intention of keeping my Perf too. I see the cars as sufficiently different enough to be complementary. What the hell, can you have too many “end of an era” ICE supercars?

Regarding why Lamborghini will not “get on with it”. It’s the same reason why the F8 was birthed in the first place. The F8, and the STO, are both surprise babies born of the goofy regulatory environment we find ourselves in, mainly in the EU, but also elsewhere. Were more policy certainty, and less aggressive policy shifting, in place, neither one of those cars would have been produced. We would have already begun the next generation of ICE cars. Instead, because of draconian and pointless emission restrictions, fuel efficiency requirements, noise limits, and various drivers aids, the manufacturers have pushed back the replacement generation and continue to flog the old platforms.

I think the overwhelming success of the STO (the dealers are astonished, and I’m astonished by the positive reception on all the boards, as I do not remember a car so universally well received) is due in large part to the fact the car is modern day throw back. They truly don’t make cars like the STO any more and it’s clear that they never will.

Last point, I won’t be using the car on the track. If that were my intention, I would save some money and just get the real thing.

Shack, Boomhauer and ScrappyB like this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Well said... except you don’t need to save more money since one can get the real thing for less than an STO. I see a brand new Super Trofeo listed that’s asking $300k. Operative word being ‘asking’. Faster, safer, more fun..... and the $100k savings vs an STO would help cover some of the operating expenses.

I currently have one of these on my radar.

uhn2000 and Thecadster like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 2 cars above look great on a track but completely out of place on the road.

Dicecal likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Ash Patel likes this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    They’re GT3 spec race cars.

Thecadster and Boomhauer like this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I realize that but there are those who will recreate the appearance on their road cars.

13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    STO looks wise just too much for me personally, but I understand it's par for the course for Lamborghini. Bummer that Lamborghini can make a car like this, and Ferrari can't. STO package in a F8-like design, or even in SF90, tell me where to sign up

SECRET likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think Ferrari can, just doesn’t want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster and SECRET like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Variety is the spice of life. The 3 major super car makers offer extremely capable and stunning cars but with differing aesthetic approaches and driving personalities.

16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I like the STO. Love the Perf. Like the SVJ. But I’m starting a class action lawsuit against lambo for discrimination.

6’4” and I can’t fit in the damn car. Wtf is wrong with the ? Make the car a bit bigger!!

Ash Patel, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Good God give up the F8 rides like Bentley line already. You have beaten this horse dead! The F8 drives nothing like a Bentley and no one is cross shopping them. You don’t like the F8 great, I don’t love the Pista but I don’t bash it at every opportunity!

anishka, Boomhauer, Igor Ound and 2 others like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Italians or Europeans generally speaking aren’t that large;)

19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Tell me about it try ordering any apparel from them an XXL is like a small in the US. Don’t make us Americans real small.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    buddyg- That is why I put him on ignore for a time. I weakened and unignored him recently. But he simply cannot restrain himself with that ridiculous comparison to the F8. He does not realize that it reflects badly on him. After his hero Chris Harris described the F8 in highly favorable terms after driving the SF90, I thought he would refrain from the hackneyed comments, but I was wrong.

anishka, ferrarifam, buddyg and 2 others like this.
  21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Fchat is better with the ignore feature!

Igor Ound likes this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’m 6’3” so that would be of concern to me also.

In any case, the STO is an interesting car and I may finally cave and order one, but the images and literature I’ve seen so far are all a bit fluffy. It also bothers me that they’re still relying mainly on enhanced renderings in their press release, social media, configurator and YouTube posts despite the car existing. Automotive websites are using the same enhanced renderings. Just release more photos of the actual car already!

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Could have guessed who it was. Even on ignore this guy is annoying

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Issue with it is the ppl u ignore can still read ur stuff.