85 308QV Heater hose routing, Help! | FerrariChat

85 308QV Heater hose routing, Help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Motob, Nov 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Hi all, I am working on a 1985 308 QV that has led a hard life. At some point in time it was in a front end accident and the whole nose of the car including the front sub-frame was replaced (spliced at the point just in front of where the lower control arm mounts are located). They must have not been able to get a 308QV sub-frame, so they used a 328 sub-frame.

More recently, the car was then in another front end accident where all of the nose sheet metal and tire well fiberglass was replaced.
    During one of these incidents the heater cores,heater valves, and all heater hoses and ducting were removed and discarded.

We have been able to obtain all of the missing parts, but I am at a loss as to the correct routing of some of the coolant hoses. I have the heater diagrams from the parts manual, and owners manual, so I can see where everything is supposed to go.

How is the heater hose that comes from the heater return tee and connects to the aluminum coolant pipe under the front of the car routed? One diagram shows it just going straight through the front of the car, and another shows it routed down the side of the left fender along the left heater core. On a 328 (or maybe a 246) I seem to remember it coming through a hole with a grommet in the tire well at the right rear, but there is no hole on this 308QV.

The other hose I am having issues with is the A/C hose from the compressor at the rear of the car to the condenser at the front. This hose was replaced with generic A/C hose, and it is routed down the right fender to the condenser. The issue is there isn't enough room to install the right heater core with this hose and the A/C return hose from the condenser to the receiver drier in place.
    How are these A/C hoses routed next to the right heater core?

Any information on the hose routing would be great, photos would be even better.

Thanks for your help!
    Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

2. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
  3. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Thanks Menno, but the heater hose routing and heater valves on a 328 are completely different from a 308QV. The 1980-1982 308 GTB/Si and the 1983-1985 308 QV have the correct hose routing that I need information on.

Anyone else out there with the heater hose routing information?

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

4. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell

Brian, I attached pictures of my 83 308 QV before I changed out my original heater hoses. On my 308 the heater hose runs along the side next to the left heater core and vent hose and down to the coolant pipe. As for the A/C hose it runs above the right heater core and appears to be clipped in some how holding it to the top of the fender. If you need more pictures let me know I took quit a few before I tore mine apart. Hope this helps! -Glenn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  5. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Glenn, this is exactly what I needed. I will let you know if I need any more photos.

Thanks for your help!
    Brian

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I bought a nylon stop-cock and installed it just before the connection to the aluminium pipe - I leave it turned off... pretty much always! It limits heat soak into the heater cores in summer. In 11 years, I've never turned on the heaters, but I might drive down to the snow one year...

7. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Glenn - Might want to check the length of your AC drip hose (post #4 last photo). Appears to be short and contributing to the rust in that area. My hose drips below the aluminum plate. Just saying......

8. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    The access cover is removed in that shot. It doesn't look it but the hose extends about two inches threw the cover. This photo is two years old before I replaced all the cooling and heater hoses. But you make a good point I need to treat the surface rust noted. Thanks!