Boxer Buyers Guide | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Boxer Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GIANNI13

GIANNI13 Rookie

Feb 8, 2018
    PITTSBURGH PA
    Full Name:
    JOHN W CAMP SR.
    ME TOO... S/N 47019 WOULD LIKE TO GET THE SKIRTS CLEANS IT UP

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    mrp_e likes this.
  3. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    BSMMelb and Rosey like this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Info to anyone that needs new gas struts for the rear end on the 512BBi:

1984, 512BBi, rear engine lid gas strut: Stabilus Lift-O-Mat gas spring type 083836 300N, angle/angle 08 220 0300.

Warning: The gas stuts sold from SuperFormance and Marenello parts UK for same car do NOT fit.

Best Regards Peter

2dinos and DonB like this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I sure would like to see a summary of your costs since you have done everything to a high standard.....I remember talking to the former owner, and we were talking in the $180k USD price area. Would have been a mistake for me.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You most likely did right not buying the car if you look at it from a economical point of view. It was was meant as a joy full project for me and so it has been. I now have a car with very low miles and in very good condition, absolutely rust free and in 100% original condition from cabin and backwards.

I have not summed up the repair cost in details, but it has not been overly expensive since I did all the work my self apart from the paint. A qualified guess is something between 40 to 50K $ spent over a 2 year period with NO expense saved and also including tools and all bits and pieces. This guess includes everything from complete set of new rubbers, tires, front lid, new ignition system, exhaust and paint job. I have attached a part of my shopping list for info and inspiration.

Best, Peter

Attached Files:

Jet Set Jester, BSMMelb and Shark01 like this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks....you are definately the right caretaker for this special car.

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks. Please note that minimum 80% of the spare parts on the list are none related to the front damage and would have to be acquired anyway in any high quality restoration. That also goes for the paint job. So the cost for fixing the front is "relatively" low but the job was big and messy though very satisfying.

Anyhow I guess the average restoration price for a 512BBi is way above what I have spent.

For others reference we are talking about: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512-bbi-51257-ended-up-in-my-garage.562798/

Best, Peter

9. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Best to get them recharged if you still have the original struts with the Ferrari script on them. I did and they've worked great.

10. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Can someone advise the correct info on BBi toolkit for 82 Boxer? Would it be in a tool roll, then in pouch? And if interior of car is black is pouch then black? Or is it just in black tool roll, then mounted in strap in front of right front wheelwell?
    Thanks,
    John

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Look in the parts manual for the BBi. All correct pieces are listed along with part numbers. As the parts manual is an "official" publication I consider it to be the go to guide for such things. However, I do believe the book covers years prior to 1982 on certain items.
    The cars changed as they went down the assembly line year to year and some things aren't listed in the parts manual! Go figure. Oh wait. It's Ferrari. Nuff said.

pilotoCS likes this.
  12. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Oh, one more thing. The '82 had a zippered pouch for the tool roll. It was done in the same color as the interior and has the embossed Prancing Horse on it. Mounting wie, it kinda fits where the tool case was designed to fit in Carb cars.

13. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Is the tool kit in a roll, then inside the pouch?
    Thanks,
    John

14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Yes..

15. Gtrmn

Gtrmn Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Lamar McKay
    Just joining the thread activity here...have been reading and learning for a little while as I have been working on acquiring a 365 BB.

Wanted to thank everyone for all of the information that has been posted here as it has helped tremendously.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Newman likes this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    how and where do you get them recharged ?

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    A company called Strutwise in Canada

buzzm2005 likes this.
  18. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    As new owner of a 512 BBi, 1982, located in France, I went thru this long and very interesting thread. Thanks and congrats for all contributors, mostly Paul.
    I am to change the front ID plate since the one in place is too big (520x110mm) and sometimes scraps on the ground when going in my garage.
    I would like to set an Italian type plate (275x75mm) to cope with historical origin of my car.
    Looking to most pics on BBi's I see that curiously all plates are centered in the middle of the spoiler, so hiding the towing hook hole (neither no hole in the plate).
    When looking to the official Ferrari website describing all classical cars per year, one can see a BB with the Italian plate set on the right side, leaving free this hole (pic attached).
    Otherwise, my current plate is pop riveted directly on the spoiler while the spare parts catalogue indicates an ad hoc plate holder.
    Does any member (where country requires a front plate) have a comment on this plate location and setting, or probably only question of taste, forgetting the towing opportunity?
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Jean-Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JazzyO, E_Man and Newman like this.
  19. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    just set the ID plate in the Italian way to free up towing hole

Attached Files:

20. Guegangster

Guegangster Karting

Apr 24, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Julien Guegan
    Hi,

I am in France as well, and just put the front plate inside the car, behind the windshield. I was tired of loosing it with the car scrapping on "dos d annes" (speed bumps.) It s obviously illegal, but the marechaussé has been tolerant. The car is old, I am not a hot head, they always asked about it, I explained and they let me go without a fine. They are happy to see the xar anyway...

JazzyO likes this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in germany i is illegal to put the plate behind the window. so it does not matter if regular plate or dealer plate
    but also the plates only have to be mounted to the front of the car, if you use screws or rivets noboda cares about
    but as far as I know the plates in france have to be fixed with rivets ( so on my 2 cars registered in france ). so I think you only have to tell the police at the right time the right thing, so this what they will convince them ;)

22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Just wanted to say "congrats!". I miss my Boxers.

Onno

paul33 likes this.
  23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Onno, I remember reading your posts and about your blue 365. Another of many who inspired me to finally get a Boxer (BBi). Have enjoyed it for 8+ years and over 10K Miles.

JazzyO likes this.
  24. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Great stuff, glad you are driving your BBi! To be accurate, my Boxers were both red when I owned them but both have been repainted since. One to its original Dino Met blue and one to Bahama Yellow, the 1970's Aston colour. Looks phenomenal, by the way.

dwhite likes this.
  25. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier