488 - Looking to be a enabled | FerrariChat

488 Looking to be a enabled

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Morgan72301, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I sold my 458 a couple years ago and am thinking about buying a pista. I miss having a Ferrari. Def have regrets selling her. Weighing out pros vs cons. Sold the 458 cuz I was tired of worrying about it all the time. Had bad experiences w valets and Every time I would leave somewhere, someone would be sitting or leaning on her to snap a selfie. Never minded the pics but people sitting or leaning, I found intrusive. Worried if I get the pista, I’ll fall right back into my anxious ways. Also, God only knows how the wife will leverage me if I buy another expensive car. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Sounds like you really miss having a Ferrari. I worry about my 458 Spider whenever I am out in public with it. I live with that and also enjoy every minute with it. You only live once. Go for it.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Geeze.. sounds like maybe you should be looking to get a new wife also, no offense. Me personally, if I ever thought my partner was "leveraging me" over anything, she'd get her walking papers. That's just me.. I'm a very sensitive guy.

If you think the 458 draws attention, yeah get a Pista. That will blend right in and nobody will bother you.

I never let anyone touch my car (as far as Valets). Those people tend to be morons and if I happen to park some place with Valet service, I tell them I'll park it myself, thanks and/or I park around the corner. I mean, with a Ferrari you are going to draw attention. If you don't want that, buy a Tesla or Prius. It's just part of the territory.

I remember once I stopped in my 360 to get gas at Chevron and I went inside to buy a candy bar or something. When I came out there was this super hot gal in my car, playing behind the wheel like she was driving lol. I walked up and said, "You look good in there, maybe you should get one". She turned a couple of shades of red and then tried to figure out how to open the door. When she reached down to the center console, looking for the door buttons, she saw my leather bondage cuffs sitting there; she sort of went into puzzled panic mode.. almost like she wanted to turn into liquid and melt into the floorboards. I was like, "Here, let me help you out..."

I almost got her number.. but I guess she had been too traumatized by my BDSM stuff in the passenger seat.

Anyway, as far as my thoughts: it just is part of driving a Ferrari. Unless you plan to keep it in a museum, just drive it and accept that it's going to get some wear and tear and attention. Be a good sport about it and usually people respond pretty well in my experience.

On a slightly separate subject, if you are a 458 lover are you positive you will also like the Pista? Those are two pretty different cars.

Ray

4. Morgan72301

Morgan72301 Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Massachusetts

Great points. Care to elaborate on differences? Never driven a 488 or the Pista

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well, for one the sound. It's hard to match the exhaust note of the 458. Also, one of the nice things about the 458 is that in sports mode, the exhaust is almost silent. In anything from Race+ mode, it's much more aggressive. Sometimes it's nice to just shut the car up when cruising or entering a neighborhood at night, etc. I don't believe you can do that with the Pista (although I don't own a Pista, so perhaps I am mistaken and someone can correct me).

Also, the Pista is more of a track car - kinda like the 458 Speciale. Whereas the 458 Italia is much more comfortable and a bit more well suited to cruising around with your wife or girlfriend. Myself, I had originally been thinking about getting a Speciale, but then opted for the Italia instead, because I didn't really want a super track focused car. I wanted something to enjoy either by myself or perhaps taking my girlfriend out to dinner, etc. So comfort was a factor.

If you didn't grow up driving hot rod type cars (or modified street cars), you may not fully appreciate how horrible it can be to drive a race-focused type car on a daily basis.

The Pista is a beautiful car though.

Ray

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Worried about the 458 the PISTA will be worse. Unless your mega rich everyone IMO is the same. Drive another car when going out. I do. Or do what a mate of mine does hire a guard for 4 hrs when he is out to dinner. Cheap relative any damage done and zero worries. Forget valets. If i could tell you stories you would NEVER use them.

7. 997_T_u_r_b_o

997_T_u_r_b_o Rookie

Nov 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Do not use Valets! To much added worries.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I was gonna say... you valet your Ferrari?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Get the car
    You only live once
    Don’t let your passion pass you by

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This is no dress rehearsal. If you have the means and the desire just get the car. It always seems the more you worry about a car being compromised the more it happens. Don't sweat it. Just enjoy it and don't take it so seriously.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Get a FF- I never care about it lol
    I was just like u with my TR!

Ash Patel likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am still stuck on the leather bondage cuffs. ???

steven t evans, Dr. K, xBox and 2 others like this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hey, some girls like that sort of thing. Who am I to judge? lol

I had a lot of girlfriends back in the 360 days :)

Ray

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I won't ask about the cuffs either. You don't need to valet your car, and the hot girl, sometime things just fall into your lap (note: pay attention!)

I take my 458 everywhere and enjoy the heck out of it, worry free. Folks take selfies, but I've never had anyone touch it. Drive it daily in the FL winters, and just completed a 3,000 mile Appalachian journey - outstanding!

I know I'd regret selling it - not emotionally ready - so may add to the stable sometime next year. I might go dark - EVO Spyder RWD - if I can fit, or perhaps an F8 Spider sometime.

I'm not a hoarder, but I've had seller's remorse, cars included, on more than one occasion.

RayJohns likes this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Can't a guy have a little fun around here? lol

She was actually pretty hot; I tried to get her number but she ran off with her friends giggling. But it just underscores the balls that some people have. I mean she just opened the door, jumped in and started playing like she was driving down the road. I can only imagine the sorts of things which take place when people leave their cars parked in public and aren't around.

One time I parked my 355 at Target - way far away from everyone else - and when I walked back out there was a big crowd of teenage kids around it all trying to figure out how the heck you open the doors lol. I showed them and they all were like, "Ahhhh, that's cool!"

Yeah definitely don't get a Pista if you want to blend in.

That's what I love about my Toyota pickup... it's all banged up and I can park anywhere and nobody pays any attention to it - and yet the girls love it as much as any 458 or 488.

Ray

xBox likes this.
  16. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Yep - cars, cuffs the works :p

RayJohns likes this.
  17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Try to remember that one day all of us will be old and grey & younger men will be driving our cars.

If you think more in those terms, it allows you to enjoy life and driving your Ferrari in the here-and-now a lot more. So it gets a nick or a scratch or someone snaps a photo next to it? Who cares. It's just a car. Enjoy it while you can. If it's going to stress you out - or worse, provide a reason for some woman to bend you over - then maybe you shouldn't get another one at all.

I had a case some years ago where I brought up the subject of buying a 430 Scuderia with my then girlfriend (whom I have 2 kids with). I was really excited about it and instead of her being on board and supporting me, she just unloaded with a rash of **** about who she would be stuck at home with the kids while I was off enjoying the car. WTF? I ended up ending that relationship a while later because I could see long term I would just constantly be miserable. I miss my kids dearly, but I think being with a partner that supports your passions in life is extremely important.

So kinda what worries me most isn't the issue about getting another Ferrari, but that your wife would use this as any reason whatsoever to leverage you - and that this has caused you to have to come onto Ferrarichat looking for moral support, as opposed to getting it from your woman at home. I don't mean to pry into your personal life, but just something to think about here, as I have been down this road myself and it's kinda lonely.

My ex, Abi, wasn't perfect but by god she always supported me getting a Ferrari lol.

Ray

tomc and xBox like this.
  18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Forget the Coffee. I’m going to Cars n Cuffs. :cool:

wthensler and RayJohns like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Jesus lol. I'm starting to feel like I should setup an OnlyFans page haha

Ray

20. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I think you make some very good points, that the OP may take on board.

Nothing worse than being over precious with a car, it just ruins the entire ownership experience.

21. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Amen to that
    As I said before
    You only live once

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, we all know how that worked out for Sméagol...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

xBox likes this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Forget cars and coffee. More interested in cars and cuffs.

wthensler, IloveGT and RayJohns like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I just cannot believe you did not ask for her number! She must not be that hot!!!

the cuffs were just perfect.

one more reason to buy a spider, guys!

wthensler likes this.
  25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I did.. I let her out of the car and then I started making small talk with her and got her name and introduced myself, etc. - and I said, "Hey, why don't you give me your number and let me take you out or something" and then she just kinda ran off with her girlfriends giggling, while saying something back over her shoulder. She wasn't looking to date anyone; she and all her girlfriends were just out running around Monterey causing trouble. Most likely, she either had a boyfriend and/or was vanilla. Haha.

But yeah, don't think I didn't try to get her # - she was cute as could be.

Ray

IloveGT likes this.