Taking Car to Lunch or Dinner | FerrariChat

Taking Car to Lunch or Dinner

Discussion in '360/430' started by cole328, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi guys....wife and I were talking last night, and both felt that we have this great care (F430 spider) in the garage, but that we only drive it from point a to point a. ideally specific to anyone in S FL, but more generally, have you found any tricks for ID'ing ideal restaurants where you can take the exotic, and generally be able to "self park" it, either out front, or in their secure valet lot? If so, I also assume $20 seems the magic number.

Also, curious...how many of you on here actually ever even take your ferrari to dinner / lunch?
    Any insight welcomed for a newbie....i DD a 2019 E63s, and take it / park it anywhere, knowing that if damages / scratched, its an easy fix at the dealer. With the Ferrari (or any exotic for that matter), not the case of course.

thanks!

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I take it to dinner, lunch, breakfast, car shows 100 miles away, a weekend getaway or two, and whatever my heart desires if it's running properly. Being in Wisconsin though, I have yet to see a restaurant with one of these dreaded valet services I keep hearing about.

3. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    This has to be the most inane post I've seen on here in a while. It's a car, drive it. Don't be so afraid or paranoid. There are much more expensive, exotic, rare, desirable cars out there doing more. I suggest you look into the DDE videos for inspiration.

4. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    This isn't "inane" concerns. If you don't like the post or question then why spend one second responding. Those of us that care about our things, which has nothing at all to do with driving the car, think ahead about the safety for the car and ourselves before heading to any location. The area I'm in I have met the valet guys at the spots we go and have always been very nice to them. I text them my reservation time and they greet me and park it up front. If that can't happen then we go in the truck. Simple.

Fenz, one4torque, TM328 and 2 others like this.
  5. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    Drive it! We drove the 360 Spider to lunch last weekend, a nice 30 min drive on a great road, just be very particular on where you park. And dont take two spots!!

6. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    VelocityTexas... it is inane in my opinion. "How many of you ACTUALLY take your car to dinner", sounds silly to me. If you care about your car, and know these cars, then you know they need driven. And to be so worried about leaving your car in a parking lot sounds silly to me because any restaurant worth going to would not come with such concerns. My point was to not be so worried or paranoid, and to take your car out for a drive with confidence. If you can't do that, then you can't truly appreciate or enjoy it, IMO. If you live in a high crime area, and have a Ferrari that you're concerned with taking out, then it sounds like you have bigger fish to fry.

brookliner7 likes this.
  7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I see your point, is certainly a justifiable view.

I often go to the race track with my Scuderia, I have no problem with that. But I have concerns about taking the car for dinner or into town and parking it there. Because there are just too many people who don't like my Ferrari and are tempted to scratch or otherwise damage it. So I understand the concerns of the thread starter.

Fenz, honda corse, Flea7 and 5 others like this.
  8. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    The OP clearly states that he DRIVES the car and says nothing about not being confident. His concern is the same as thousands of other car owners regardless of brand. I find it interesting that you feel so compelled to call out a guy for asking a very simple question. This is exactly how forums become very narrow on posters. If one has to be weary of someone jumping them for asking any type of question because someone is waiting to point out that it's inane or they are in some way stupid then you'll see the end. Is it that hard to be nice?

Fenz, TM328, Apollo 11 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    It's insured, leave it wherever. It'll be just fine and in the off chance it's not your insurance will fix it right up.

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks guys for the quick feedback..I am not offended by Blacktop's reply (though I do prefer the "silly" definition of inane as compared to the "stupid" one... :) )

I guess I was more looking for insight as to what others did for my own nosiness / edification. I guess my concern stems from what happened a few months ago in the benz. Took it to dinner with the wife at a very nice restaurant, and self-parked it in their nice lot (surrounded by other nice cars). When I came out a few hours later, someone had backed out of their opposing spot, tore a hole in my rear bumper, and unfortunately just drove off...(I am assuming alcohol played a part on their end). While I was annoyed as "phuck," $500 later and it was an easy, no one will ever notice fix at my dealership bodyshop. Now, if the same thing happened to the ferrari, its certainly not as easy, nor as inexpensive to fix given the age of the car, need to match paint, the ferrari factor, etc. These are all factors I knew about when I bought the car, but that said, as others mentioned above, while ironically the benz cost me more to purchase than the ferrari, the f-car has that exotic factor that does tend to draw the haters.

Lastly, unless its an absolute necessity, I dont generally like using the valet service for any of my cars...just feels odd to have some 20-something in my car, possibly looking at my personal things, etc. now, factor in some younger guy that has no idea how to manipulate the F-1 transmission, and there is no way I am valeting this car.

Anyway, I guess the main point is to just use common sense and pick the right restaurants where I know the lot has nice wide parking spaces. Where I live / go, I am not at all scared of theft or crime....more just avoidance of unnecessary damage. but, as others have told me, one main benefit of me buying the 430 was that its already depreciated and is not a collectors car..anything can be fixed, and I am never intending to sell it anyway.

thanks for your input

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I certainly wouldn't want some teenaged valet who just got his license trying to figure out how to put an F1 transmission in reverse or brutalizing the clutch by feathering the throttle. Totally legit question. And some of these cars are difficult to parallel park with such limited rear visibility. Some valets probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to start the car much less put it into gear, watched that happen at a valet lot on Cape Cod with a friend's F430 Spider. He had to get his car himself ;)

$20 seems to be the magic number with valets around here. "Perhaps you know my friend, Mr. Jackson?"

Or, for comic effect, "Perhaps you know my friend Mr. Washington?"

tomc likes this.
  12. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    ha...Ok thanks for the validation that I am not cuckoo!!...! I am also so used to the cameras in the E63, I am not certain that even I could parallel park the spider ha! Seems that for now, I will stick to finding some restaurants with nice parking lots where i can smartly self park (i.e., not going to any downtown areas where you have to park in a parking garage), and just enjoy the car. Just using it (although I do so every chance that I get) to drive point A to A is getting a little tiring.

13. VelocityTexas

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    In my area we have a valet company that services most of the upper end eating places, Lone Star Valet. I have learned over the years who runs the valet at each location, got to know them, and as I said earlier I text them to let them know when I will be there and they save a spot right at the door. These guys operate exotics every night and know what they are doing. If you're nervous you can park it yourself or they will offer you that option and I have never been turned away when asking that to do it myself. At the end of the day they're wanting to earn and as long as you're paying they will agree. $20 is what I pay.

14. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I have used my car whenever I want. Here in Maui the valet guys want me to park it myself.near the door.; They all seem to have VIP spots near the door so they keep an eye on famous folks cars. Or big tippers, I guess.

15. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I don't hesitate to take my nice cars out to lunch or dinner in the least., but I never valet park, my wife and I like to walk so if its four blocks or even a mile away, we do. There is no way I'm handing the keys over to a kid, especially my three pedal cars. I don't have issues with vandalism, though I suppose it can happen anywhere. Now, I would not be so naïve as park in an inner city neighborhood where the hot and trendy restaurants like to set up in the slums in Washington DC. On those visits, we drive my Ford Ranger pickup - and I don't valet that, either!

Darren Donovan likes this.
  16. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Having just gotten my first bright red Ferrari myself, I share these concerns especially with how much the rosso catches eyes, and not to mention the times we live in. A bumper repaint is going to be expensive and getting insurance involved could potentially cause something to show up on the carfax, causing future potential buyers to immediately shop elsewhere without even asking about it. They know this would come up again down the road when they go to sell it. Expense, hassle, and carfax issues are enough to make it worth it for me, to at least be conscious of exactly what you bring up and plan accordingly.

That being said, so far the only negative thing I've experienced is a barista at starbucks being a tool because in his eyes I was a flagship for evil capitalism.

Cole, I'm in Florida as well and these are the things I take into consideration.

Go to eat or run your errands etc.. in a part of town where these cars are common. I love making up errands to do for a break from work mid-day to drive my F-car around. If I'm taking it, I'll go south to Ponte Vedra instead of driving into Jacksonville haha. I'll run into home depot, parking away from cars, but not completely out of view, with very minimal anxiety.

For dinner, same thing but will usually try to find a restaurant where I can sit within view of the car if its going to be a long meal. Also, +1 for being able to gaze at it's beauty.

There's no way I'm letting some "haters" keep me from enjoying my Ferrari that I dreamt about since I was 12, and worked very hard for, so I share sentiment with all comments on this thread. A little bit of planning definitely helps reduce anxiety levels for me, and let's me enjoy those drives a lot more.

When driving around town doing other stuff I'm always looking out for restaurants i want to eat at that have a care free parking situation. Then when that evening is free I already have a few options on my plate!

17. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I really wanted to take a spot on the Monterey pier right across from where our outdoor table was but parking in between two cars is a NO GO for me. ( how do you get rid of a door crease)

I got a door crease at Ferrari Birthday party at the Petersen Museum in my 348 from a Beverly Hills dealership Ferrari. It was an accident.

I always look for an end spot or handicapped.

Or make my own parking.

Jda550911 likes this.
  18. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I hate valets and don't understand the allure of them. Even worse is having to pay a valet to park the car yourself. Its one thing in someplace like NYC where they need to pack cars in, but in the suburbs or other small cities with plenty of parking? I just avoid those restaurants.

19. Al Casteen

Al Casteen Rookie

Feb 21, 2020
    Smithfield, VA
    Full Name:
    Al Casteen
    alex, armedferret, bupilot and 2 others like this.
  20. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I drive my car whenever and wherever. However I would never valet my car but that is with any of my cars even my beaters. Don't care for people I don't know driving them. Every nice restaurant I have been to would allow me to park it right in front of the restaurant with the valet not having to touch it.

I would try and not to stress when you park the car. If something happens that's what you have insurance for. My best advice is to park in the first car spot you see between cars that are already in place. If you park it way out in the open or take up more then one space this only gains you unwanted attention and a much greater risk of someone vandalizing it.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

Skidkid likes this.
  21. The4DA

The4DA Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    GA
    Full Name:
    RC
    It's funny you mention Lone Star Valet. I literally watched the valet back my 997 into another car (he only had to do a J turn to back the car into the parking spot that I was parked in front of when I got out the car) and then blame the car behind him. It was actually on my birthday that it happen as well. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. Even worse, the valet then lied to his manager about what happened. Luckily for me I had a report taken (and a witness) to prove what actually happened or they were going to try to get out of paying to repair the vehicle. Next, the body shop they wanted me to use (willing to pay for) to fix the car was not acceptable. He wanted to cut too many corners so I ended up having to use my insurance to get the car repaired properly and to fight them for the money. So I no longer let them touch anything I care about. I'm glad your experiences have been better than mine though.

To the OP. I will drive the car to lunch, dinner, breakfast, get ice cream, etc. Normally I will drop my wife off at the door and park the car myself some where that I feel has a lower probability of something happening to it if parking is sketchy or valet only. I haven't let anyone valet this car yet. After the above event, I've been more hesitant to let a valet touch any of my toys.

VelocityTexas and Jda550911 like this.
  22. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Apollo 11, jcurry, Mirek and 4 others like this.
  23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Absolutely. Anyone who has worked hard to achieve Ferrari ownership can relate to the OP concerns.
    I have a handful of restored cars. I'm always concerned about vandalism that never seems to go out of style. So I get it. I too choose which places I take the cars to and how secure I feel about the parking as well as the ingress and egress of the destination-- as I have found that many places getting in and out of the parking lot is only easily done without damage if you are driving an SUV.

Do I drive my cars with fervor, sure do.

Fenz, redcaruser and Jda550911 like this.
  24. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    We took the wives out for some “Swanky” shopping in the 360 and the C8, only way to go!
    It was a 30 min drive on a great road through the Texas Hill Country.
    The items purchased had to be delivered, the truck would have been more practical but this was more fun!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Plus seven points for the composition, but minus two for not being Culver's. ;)

(dad had a summer spot just north of the Dells for 20+ years; worked my fair share of summer jobs at Noah's Ark)

imahorse likes this.