430 - Header Dilema | FerrariChat

430 Header Dilema

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have MK I headers but I installed Capristo brackets. I sense that it's not if they crack, but when they crack. So I would like to preempt a failure by installing aftermarket headers. They range from Agency Power headers ($2,100 plus $400 for ceramic coating. Next up is the Fabspeed Headers at $4,791.90 with header blankets. The top of the heap is the Capristo headers at $6,900 with header blankets, which to me is a staggering amount.

I believe that header blankets provide more shielding than a ceramic coating , and Capristo claims their blankets will fit Angency Power and Fabspeed headers.

My goal is not weight reduction, or horsepower/torque increases (although I'll accept both), and certainly not increased noise. It is to eliminate a point of failure. Given these criteria, what are your thoughts on how I should proceed, given that cost is an important factor, but thermal protection is equally important.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ray

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Ceramic coating - save your money
    If you have the Capristo brackets, i take it you have removed the ferrari ones.
    I have the Capristo manifolds and insulation which are as good as they get. You can always sell them on if you sell the car.
    If you change them, be sure to renew the fixing studs in the head.

Ray Smith likes this.
  3. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks much. I was looking to go with the Agency Power Headers and the Capristo blankets. I installed their brackets and they were easy (relatively speaking) to install and adjust. The Ferrari OEM brackets weigh a ton. I did reinstall the crush box (the black thing at the back of the trans axle found only on US cars. Seems to provide an modicum of crash protection, lots of crush zone. My Ferrari dealer offered to install the headers without voiding the warranty and said they will pass CA emissions tests.

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ray Smith likes this.
  5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I've been running AP headers with ceramic coating only for several years. No issues even driving on very hot summer days or for 1400 miles doing triple digits, stopping only for gas.

Sent from my Galaxy

tmvatlanta likes this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont have to use the extenders with the Capristo manifolds, you avoid the codes if you give it time heat up the sensors before you set off