458 Tranny Issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Tranny Issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC

2. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    UPDATE!!! As of last night, she was missing odd gears, per shops aggressive test drive in auto and the light was thrown. Tech performed a bunch of cycles / tests, which failed the first time (which he said was kind of normal) but eventually all tests passed. He then drove it aggressively for 15 miles w/ no lights and all gears A-OK! Which means all the pressures applied by the cycles, etc. released a clogged solenoid or valve, etc. in the box. He's seen this happen before. SO ITS GREAT FN NEWS!!!! To be pro-active we are changing the hydraulic fluid in the box, that was from the factory. He said it could have been compromised over 6yrs time.
    In the most basic of terms, I can use my mountain bike trans as a comparison. The finger spped shifters I have on my bike after 20 yrs, stopped responding. When depressed, nothing happened, no clicks, resistance, etc. I opened the case and bombed it w/ WD-40. Sure enough, the WD-40 freed up a stuck / gunked up spring and she shifts like new!
    PS, I have a 20yr old mountain bike, cause it was a 30th B'day present from the Wife! lol

rob5819 and simmadwn like this.
  3. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Damnnnn brother....so happy for you...I wish we all have happy stories like yours..

Sargepug likes this.
  4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thanks and I was due after taking it on the chin with my classic 911 rebuild and M5 storm damage!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

simmadwn likes this.
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Wish you luck given all the other issues.

However gear box oil is never changed. Im not going to piss on your parade but it smells to me . The mileage adds up with the 7 year services ?

You do 1500 in covid in 6 months and the rest was 5-6 years ? Glad you believe the mileage is correct

Melvok likes this.
  6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All fluids need replacement including gearbox which when replaced drives noticeably smoother. I think the invoice for it from the dealer was around $450. You need the diagnostic SW to get it done so not really a DIY.

MalibuGuy, GSF355 and VAF84 like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I was told never needs replacing ?

Melvok likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its not part of the annual along with a lot of other items. If you purchased a pre-owned car then have all fluids replaced on your nickel or work into the sale. If purchased new then work a schedule to add fluid replacements to the annual on a schedule. All fluids get contaminated and degrade by use and time. There are no exceptions. I like to do brakes and engine annually, power steering and coolant every other and trans/diff every three or four. When they do the service they will check for other related issues and catch them hopefully before additional work would be necessary. If your service manager is knowledgeable he will say it's a good preventive plan and not say its unnecessary.

Sargepug likes this.
  9. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    #34 Sargepug, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Thanks on the luck, but you're not making sense on the mileage. Depends on the owners!
    I have a '17 MC Masi GT cabrio that I bought new. I only put 3k on the clock in over 3 years, but already put half that on my 458 in 6mo. All the mileage from previous owners is documented in car fax, inspections, etc. Your logic here is baffling, some people drive 'em, so make them garage queens. A 458 has no business being a garage queen!
    Fluid wise, how old are you to make such an outrageous statement? You must be a kid in your 20s or totally lack any sense of mechanics. No offence, but WOW!

10. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Gotta say, just hope this issue doesn't rear its ugly head again or maybe be even worse that it appears. All this seems way to "easy", in a life where everything is so difficult. I am contemplating taking an extended for a year, just in-case. I might sound pessimistic, but after 50 years on this planet (born and raised in NYC), I've seen and learned a lot...

11. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Major update!!!! Since my last post, I hedged my bet and took the power warranty. Sure glad I did, cause started acting up again w/ the light and losing odd gears. My dealership sent latest diagnostics to Ferrari and they are sending a entirely new box, that's a $40k job w/ parts an all! Whewwwwwwwwwww

technom3, FFan5 and Rexcat458 like this.
  12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    #37 Tarek307, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Congrats to you on getting the warranty- i figured the problem would occur again, because for me some days i could drive a 100 miles and it wouldn't come on, but others the trans light came on as soon as car got warmed up.

here is my thread regarding experience with the tranny sensor issue
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-458-trans-gearbox-dct-sensor-issues-fixed-info-11-2020.632671/

As you people see , OP's car is a 2014..again, the 2010-2011 "MYTH" debunked, all 458 range can suffer the trans sensor failure !!

13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thanks and i'd say it was more than the speed sensor for me, cause that was my initial concern and I priced it out. It's a $10k job at the dealership, so if it was simply that, Rarri wouldn't have sprung for a brand new box!

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #39 Melvok, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    That is right We were all told this. However, I can tell you from experience that it is a good idea to change the fluids perhaps at 50,000 miles

Your DCT will operate better and you may avoid problems

Consider the cost of a fluid change vs the cost of DCT repair.

MANDALAY and Sargepug like this.
  16. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I’m considering a 458, in addition to my 812. Would a PPI even determine such a problem? I don’t see how it could...

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    A good review of the prior service history will reveal if there were any DCT error codes.

Every oil change/ annual service includes a full inspection with computer diagnostics. The DCT and EDiff undergo a in depth testing which will reveal abnormal behaviors.

How one drives one's car, may also play a role. I know some people who don't give the car any time to reach operating temperatures before punishing the vehicle.

I recall this one guy (he claimed to be a former race driver) who got into an Enzo on a very cold morning. As soon as he started it up, he revved the engine to redline over amd over again. And then he took off almost spinning the car on cold tires.

He later flipped the car (re-sold for a huge profit after promising not to do so) and was banned from getting a future allocation.

Sargepug likes this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    According to the service manager at Ferrari of Beverly Hills, no inspection, not even the incredibly thorough warranty inspection, is able to detect the gearbox issue. The car is literally fine one moment and the next it goes bad. You cannot predict it based on any inspection. So the best thing to do is ensure you buy the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simmadwn likes this.
  19. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    It wouldn't, mine didn't rear it's ugly head until about 1k on the clock after I bought it.
    Exactly, it's like a terrorist that can strike at any time. However, for some piece of mind, you can make the sale contingent on a clean transmission diagnostics report. It's $500 and done at the dealership. They hook up the box to an oil pressure machine and work all the mechanicals inside the box w/ varying pressures, then it produces a report.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If your car is low mile with consistent use or low mile with no use I'd change the fluid every 4-5 years. It's good insurance. Lots of parts rely on hydraulic pressure to operate the solenoids and things can get sticky this ensures that there's no buildup anywhere or plaque in a way building up to cause any issues further down the road it lasts a long time but I would still change it if your car has 60,000 miles on it and it's never been changed leave it it's probably holding everything together

Sargepug and MANDALAY like this.