FF Winter tires - which Pilot Alpin? | FerrariChat

FF Winter tires - which Pilot Alpin?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Wazzer, Dec 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    I need some help and advice choosing between the various Michelin Pilot Alpin tires for my FF this winter. First some context - based in Detroit (SE Michigan) so gets cold and icy but not too much snow although occasionally 6" or more. I don't plan to drive aggressively during the winter so speed rating is not an issue although clearly need the load rating for the heavy FF. Car currently runs Bridgestone RE980AS tires which claim M+S (mud/snow) but I am a bit suspicious of them.

Here are my choices which are constrained by what Michelin offers. All priced in a similar range.

Pilot Alpin 5
    Fronts - 245/35R20
    Rear - 295/35R20

or
    Pilot Alpin PA4 N-spec (Porsche)
    Recommended front - 235/35R20, rear 285/35R20 (note that the tread pattern on the rears would be different from the fronts according to TireRack. Bit surprised by that)
    or
    Fronts at 245/35R20 or 255/40R20 mated with the 285/35R20 rear

So the PA4 constrains the choice of the rear tire size although there are 3 options for the front.

What do you recommend and why? Seems like some FF/Lusso drivers have experience with both these tires. Did I miss another better tire alternative given my winter road conditions?

2. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Thanks ttforcefed. I read that post and seems like the Vredstein Wintrac Pro 245/40 front and 275/40 rear could be a possibility. Didn't read much about the Alpin 5 though.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I don’t know about the Michelins but if you use the Pirellis you can go with the sizes that I posted… They are very close to Vs. If I was buying tires right now I would just go with the Vs given information provided

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Not sure the PA5 is available in the US at the moment. The 4 was not available except in the 235/35 front size in Porsche spec.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    If based on cosmetic alone for a more even sidewall appearance, I'd pick 255/40 and 285/35. I should have picked 255/40 back then...just waiting to wear them out.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Both the Michelin and Vreds are very popular here in Europe, and my personal experience with them is that they are very close. I have the skinny Pirellis in OE on my Lusso and hate them..
    If you have actual snow on occassion, the Vreds are a no-brainer imho as the bit of added ground clearance and added rim protection goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and Wazzer like this.
  8. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Follow up question on the Vredestein Wintrac Pro. Specifically the side profile of the tire. I just installed Quatrac Pro's on my wife's car and the side profile (at the correct PSI) seems to bulge noticeably on all the tires. Part of the way the tire is designed versus a more vertical sidewall. Wondering if the Wintrac also bulges or if it is more vertical like the Pilot Alpin's?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the wintrac has a very straight profile on the Lusso/FF wheels. If @Caeruleus11 is okay with it, i can post some pics of his car with the Vreds.

I think they fit the car really well. It's the same profile as on 812 tyres. Fit the car size and arch gap better than OE.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Some pics would be awesome. As I mentioned the Quatrac has quite a rounded side profile which is fine on a large SUV but doesn't look that sporty. The Pilot Alpin's on my BMW have a relatively vertical side wall. I really appreciate all your advice!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome.

Keep in mind that the Quatrac Pro and Wintrac Pro are quite different tyres made for a different segment of cars. The Wintrac Pro is basically Vred's competitor to the Pilot Alpin, i.e it's their high performance winter tyre. The Quatrac Pro is mainly made asa Grand Tour all season tyre, and those generally have a more bulging and taller profile. The Wintrac Pro was designed to be a low profile tyre like the Pilot Alpin.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here are some pics of Jerry's set of Vreds. As you can see, it's the same type of sidewall found on most other performance tyres.
    This pic was taken at the shop where the tyres were mounted, so that's why the top arch gap is a little high. The car needs to be driven to settle down properly. I've seen some other pics I can't post, and the gap is even like in the sides all the way around. Looks great. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki, Wazzer and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Great pictures. This really helped me out. Nice color Lusso. Very similar to my FF. Happy Holidays to you all.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In reality they fill in the wheel arches better than the standard tires. The car’s rake isnt visibly affected, they had another Lusso in the shop and I looked back and forth and you really cant tell a difference. The car drives great on these tires, the only thing of which to be aware is the tires are a little greasy during the first 150-200 miles. Probably have about 500 miles on them now and they are fantastic. Very confidence inspiring and in slush and maybe 0.5” packed down snow/ 0.5” fresh power snow they make excellent traction. I’ve hit a few bumps by accident and so far no tire / wheel damage. Its basically mission accomplished.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Wazzer and Il Co-Pilota like this.