Not A Fan Of The Portofino? Give This One A Look – A Wheels Boutique Build | FerrariChat

Not A Fan Of The Portofino? Give This One A Look – A Wheels Boutique Build

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Wheelb, Dec 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It’s no secret that the Portofino isn’t the most favored model in the Ferrari lineup but we felt it just needed a little bit of love to get it to a place where people would admire it. A longtime Canadian client and friend of ours purchased this Italian droptop and ordered the stunning HRE P104SC’s in Frozen Polished Clear. The finish has an incredible sheen to due to the processes that it undergoad after machining is complete. It first enters a tub that polishes the aerospace-grade aluminum causing a mirror-like affect and then it enters a powdercoating room to have a satin clearcoat spayed on top.

Suspension and exhaust were not left untouched. For good measure we drop shipped Novitec’s sport springs and IPE’s performance exhaust to his local installer so that both the sound and stance could match the level of awesomeness that the rest of the car possessed. We know that this car still won’t please everyone, but boy has it totally changed our perception of what a Portofino could be.

Customer Ferrari Gallery: https://wheelsboutique.com/galleries/ferrari

Wheel Specs:
    HRE P104SC
    Finish: Frozen Polished Clear
    Size: 21"x9.5" || 22"x12.5"
    Tires: Pirelli P Zero
    Tire Size: 255/30/21 || 335/25/22
    Novitec Sport Springs
    IPE Performance Exhaust
    Photos by: @theghostofmozart

Also Available: 18” to 20” Sizing || 2-Piece Configuration (S104SC) || Gloss, Satin, Stone, & Brushed Finishes

Visit www.WheelsBoutique.com & contact us for details, availability, and pricing on HRE Wheels, Pirelli Tires, IPE Exhaust, & Novitec Products.

For more photos of this vehicle visit: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmSTiDcT

2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    An excellent way to get customers for your products--tell the people who've bought the car you want to sell them stuff for that it's "not a favored model", and if only owners would buy your products, their cars could get "some love."

I like mine just fine, thank you.

andyrichter, 695, JotaEle and 6 others like this.
  3. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    We are car enthusiasts. We read all the articles and watch all the commentary whenever a new car releases. Some auto journalists weren't in love with the car but not us. We understood the purpose of this car and how good it is from factory + the potential for it to make it even better in the aftermarket world. We appreciate your commentary and hope that you enjoy your car in good health!

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wow, that looks absolutely hideous. The poke makes the fit look really off, and frankly, to take a GT that rides so nice on MPS4S and put it on Pzero that are quite inferior, along with a much stiffer sidewall, and stiffer suspension, no thanks. The looks and the ride is ruined, and those big wheels do absolutely nothing good for performance either. You asked, that's my view.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

andyrichter, SilverLeaf, 695 and 6 others like this.
  5. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    We appreciate your opinion. The customer is ecstatic with the flush fitment and the Novitec Springs actually improved the ride quality. Once again, thank you for comments - we value all of them.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I like it. Nice job.

Boomhauer and Wheelb like this.
  7. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    Wheelb likes this.
  8. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    My wife and I own a Nero Daytona exterior with Cuoio interior 2020 Portofino that we absolutely love. It’s the best car we’ve ever owned and looks elegant and classy...unlike the car you ruined with your hideous and gauche add ons.

dolphins08430 and russellmcg like this.
  9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The new tires are taller (fewer revolutions per mile) than the stock tires,which is the wrong direction to go for better handling and which will reduce acceleration slightly.

Have you driven the car hard through bumpy corners to see if there are any interference problems?

russellmcg likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That seems strange. I have driven two Portos with Novi springs, and both rode quite a bit harsher. One car had stock wheels still while the other had a 21/22 setup. Both had a fairly moderate lowering about 30-35mm, so not slammed. Definitely nowhere near as comfortable as stock. Our roads in my country are pretty good, so it's not because of terrible road conditions. Aside from the stiffer ride, the firmer suspension also transmitted more road noise into the cabin, especially in the cabin of the car with aftermarket wheels.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud, just sharing what some drawbacks can be.

mikey k, technom3 and russellmcg like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not only does the added diameter slow down the car, those rear tyres are very heavy. All that weight is not only added to unsprung and rotating mass, it is added to the outer circumference where it matters the most.
    On top of that, this setup adds only 1 cm of section width in the front, but 5 cm in the back. This really changes how easily the car rotate and adds a lot of understeer. So there are several performance drawbacks.

But at the end of the day I suppose it is about the looks, more than performance or comfort. To each their own.

andyrichter and Redneck Slim like this.
  12. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Not a fan of the wheels, or the color scheme. Other than that, it's perfect. :)

But wheels and personalization are a very personal choice. I would love to see how these Ankry wheels would look on on a Portofino (in the stock wheel sizes) . It's hard to find them on any car:

13. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    As a sales guy, I am still trying to understand why you would insult the customer about their car. :confused:

pnd4pnd, Cigarzman, JotaEle and 4 others like this.
  14. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I have been in tech sales for 25 years and totally agree. Throw the FUD at the competition not on what u r trying to sell. May be a better approach to say....one or the best selling Ferrari’s of all time can be even further improved by....blah blah. There are plenty of journalists that have trashed EVERY modern Ferrari so using that as justification doesn’t make sense. I have a feeling they were going w the inferiority angle and it’s not a great play. Just my 2 cents. I am a OEM guy when it comes to Ferrari but if I was going aftermarket I think it looks interesting.

pnd4pnd, mlcor and russellmcg like this.
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic

Nothing new here ;)

16. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    The new tires are 1% taller in the front and 2.69% taller in the rear. The rule of thumb is to stay within +/- 3% of the overall diameter of the factory tire. Taller tires with fewer revolutions would reduce acceleration in a small way however that it counterbalanced by the fact that the HRE's weigh a lot less than the factory wheels despite being bigger in diameter and widths themselves. This client of ours drives his cars extremely hard and he has not faced any interference problems whatsoever.

The ANRKY S3-X2 is a fairly new wheel model so they are just now being delivered & installed on customer cars. We recently installed them on an SVJ and it looked spot on. We'd love to get it on a Portofino as well.

SilverLeaf likes this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    FWIW Id prefer to see the images without the massive amount of digital manipulation. Its a turn off

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont care for the car but holy sheet. The house is spectacular/

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The stock forged Porto wheels are about 24 lbs for the rears. Doubt very much that design there is much lighter in a big wheel like a 12x22. Even ifcghey are 1-2 lbs lighter, you have still moved the radius of the barrel 1 inch out and there's a lot of weight in the barrel. So that pretty much offset what weight reduction is there. On top of that you add at least 7-9 lbs with those 335/25R22 shoes. I weighted a set of those tyres for a buddy putting the on a Lusso, and they were about 5 lbs heavier than the MPS4S 295/35R20.so would be very surprised if the smaller Porto rears weren't lighter. So no matter how you slice it, you add a lot of mass to the outer circumference of the wheel where it matters the most. And no matter the percentage, going from a diameter of 27.9" to 28.7" is significant in terms of how it affects the final drive ratio.

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Wheelb should let this thread die and start over on this forum. I think that he has learned his lesson.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sound advice.
    I also think it is worth remembering that the Porto/Cali market is very different than for example a Lambo driver looking for attention. Most who are into the whole chariot sized wheel thing, are usually more into flashy/shouty cars, so dealing with the Porto/Cali demographic is a bit different, than say an Aventador owner.

tomc and Redneck Slim like this.
  22. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I like the stripe but I'd go for the Italian tricolor vs the French.

23. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Many who have commented on this thread have misconstrued what was written. It is common public opinion that Ferrari's like the F8 Tributo, 488, 812, etc. are the most sought after models in the lineup. Does that mean that the Portofino is a bad car? Absolutely not. Does that mean the Portofino isn't good unless the car is modified? Again, no it does not mean that. On the contrary, after experiencing the Portofino firsthand we fell in love with it and after helping customers modify their own Portofino's the way that they wanted it we fell in love with the car even more. There is equal space in this world for people who like to keep their cars stock and for people who like to customize them.

Thank you to all who have chimed in on this thread and kept things cordial. We appreciate you sincerely and look forward to continuing helping anyone with questions.

24. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    photos don't look real. is it render or real photo?

25. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    These are real photos. No rendered images.