Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 52 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ah yes !
    I agree the merc is not pretty but tech wise it’s just ahead of anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Please don't compare old drivetrains to the cars that have the future drivetrains. And also please don't compare German technology to Silicon Valley. BTW I am of German descent and proudly so. Who created the PC? Who created the smartphone and all of the best software companies in the world? Germany has mechanical engineering down pat. But cars are becoming digital. And that is the land of Silicon Valley.

3. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Quoting myself in August 2020 (4 months ago). Now my Model 3 equivalent in stock would be worth $1m. Insane.

Congrats JERRYZ again. Your F430 money is now easily worth $2-3m.

JERRYZ, paulchua, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Well I work in Sillicon Valley and my dad is German so I’m 2-0 on you and I’m sorry but the new s-class KILLS the Tesla with ease.
    The shares might be high but Tesla’s are now behind tech wise and poorly made inside. Facts
    And it comes from someone who backed u up on many occasions on this thread.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The base S-Class is $25k more than a Tesla Model S (and with options goes way beyond that), it damm well better have much better tech for that price.

JERRYZ and greg328 like this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Even the Ford Mach E is better too now. Tesla is lagging. They need a refresh

7. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Interestingly, I just used my profits on Tesla stock to buy an 812 Superfast.

Not quite two years ago I started researching my next car. Ideally, that would be the highest performing roadster I could afford. Tesla's second gen roadster came up during the research. I had looked at it back in 2017 when it was announced, but Tesla's Supercharger infrastructure didn't cover all the areas I needed it to, so I stopped thinking about it. But since then, they have installed chargers where I need them (though not quite everywhere I want them), so the Roadster moved to the top of my list. I ended up putting in a reservation. But I decided that it was a lot of money to spend on a new type of car without knowing if it would really work for me day to day, so I traded my 991 911 Turbo S in on a Tesla Model 3 Performance and some cash. The cash went into Tesla stock, along with some of "my own" money.

Fast forward a year or so. Tesla stock is soaring (yay!), but it looks like Tesla has no plans to actually build the Roadster anytime soon. Elon says it will be "dessert", after the Cybertruck and Gigafactory. There are no sightings beyond static "art" displays at corporate events of the not street legal concept car, and no evidence that they're working on a street legal version. At September's Battery Day, Elon mentions a $25k car which, if history is any indication, would also come before the Roadster, pushing it even further back. Meanwhile, I had sold 80% of my TSLA stock to lock in my gains, getting more than 4 times my original investment back (the rest, currently still worth more than my original investment, is going to stay long term). As much as I really enjoy the Model 3, I am a sports guy car at heart, so I cancelled my Roadster reservation and started the hunt. Long story short, if it's not too late to say that, I decided to cross two items off my automotive bucket list - a V12, and an Italian sports car. So two days ago I signed the paperwork to purchase a 2020 812 Superfast (white over beige, very lightly optioned), paid for with the profits from my Tesla stock.

My 18 month Model 3 "feasibility study" showed me that a fully electric vehicle is a ton of fun and far superior to ICE vehicles in many ways (admittedly falling short in a few), and will work for me as long as there are DCFC chargers in the numbers, locations, and power levels I need, and I fully expect to my next car to be a BEV, but while I wait for a sports car version that has adequate DCFC support, I can enjoy what may turn out to be the pinnacle of pure NA ICE engines in an amazing chassis.

JERRYZ, Elsi, plastique999 and 8 others like this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats, love that story!

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats! A lot of naysayers on this very thread are wery wery quiet as Elmar Fudd would say.

:)

JERRYZ and SecretSquirrari like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think in everything creature comforts @Natkingcolebasket69 is correct. However, in terms of the drivetrain itself - MB's last electric car had a Tesla motor in it. I know - I saw it at the design house personally. What 100% electric car can you buy from Mercedes right now?

I have not tried any of Mercedes's autonomous features, so I can't say anything about that.

JERRYZ likes this.
  11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Just wait until electric cars get more profitable, MB, Porsche even Ford & Chevy will make a better car than Tesla (bad quality cars IMO), they have not yet because there is too little profit margin but you'll see that change soon and Tesla should be credited for lighting a fire under every automaker's ass but my god, Tesla cars are really bad for quality and luxury.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

It does as they have some kind of partnership with Tesla where Tesla used some MB part in their cars (turn signals and stuff).
    I think when Tesla revamp its interior tech it will be the new standard but nothing new in close to 9 years layout wise means it’s due for an upgrade

paulchua likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed. Tesla has to keep pushing not to get crushed

14. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Tesla brings a number of things to the table:
    • Performance
    • Range
    • Tech (infotainment, autonomy, etc.)
    • Far superior charging network (ease of use, power levels, coverage)
    Any one or maybe two of these can be reasonably tackled by the traditional automakers today, should they choose to. But tackling all four is going to require levels of commitment and financial flexibility that I'm not sure they can bring to bear any time soon. And that doesn't even count the sense of fun and playfulness that Tesla has that serves to generate massive customer loyalty and non-customer interest and enthusiasm (for an example of this, see the latest update that is rolling out right now).

But, eventually, one or more traditional car manufacturers will get it all sorted out, at which point superior build quality will become a significant factor. Of course, Tesla won't be standing still in the meantime, and may either develop some serious build quality of their own, or (inclusive or) they may come up with innovations that adds to the list of things no other manufacturer is immediately capable of delivering; things that make putting up with the cars' flaws tolerable. And, if not, they will still have delivered on their mission statement of accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

JERRYZ likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Disagree completely on the infotainment and the tech. It’s now far behind...like really far behind what the top guys do.
    They don’t do anything close to what this does and the quality isn’t that great.
    I like the product and I think they will keep improving though.

ChipG likes this.
  16. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    #1291 SecretSquirrari, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Really? The "top guys" let you watch Netflix, Hulu, and others in your car, on a 15" screen? They let you play built-in video games, including using either the car's steering wheel and pedals or a game controller as inputs? They support sending navigation destinations from your phone to the car whereupon they destination is automatically loaded? They sync your calendar and allow you to route to any of the day's appointments? They include necessary refueling stops in their route planning, including the time it will take and an estimate of how much you'll have left at your destination? (Granted, this one's primary value is for BEVs.) They provide an always-on picture of the vehicles around you as well as lane markings, pedestrians, and other relevant info? They include a web browser so you can roll your own on functionality they don't provide? They provide updates and increased functionality every few weeks, wirelessly, for free? I mean, I'm sure there are specific areas where this or that manufacturer can do a few things better than Tesla when it comes to infotainment, but when it comes to breadth and depth, I certainly haven't seen anything close.

And that's not even talking about autonomous driving tech. I mean, seriously what other car can do what Tesla can do right now on virtually every mile of highway and the vast majority of non-highway streets, let alone the software that's currently in limited beta release.

And, of course, the context for all of this is electric vehicles. There is no other BEV out there with the Tesla's level of infotainment.

Boomhauer and dodici like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Ah! Time to catch up my friend.
    1-I will graciously agree that Tesla has fun kids stuff which include what u said. I could do this in my bmw i3 already with a 75usd flash of the screen.
    Question:
    Does Tesla offer, even as an option , rear seat entertainment? Fridge in the back? Magic sky sunroof that get dark within seconds? No
    2-U are aware that the Ford Mach e screen is bigger and the new s class is as well? The merc also have a second big one
    3-U really like the blind spot assist in the the Tesla? U got to take off ur eyes off the road compared to what most manufacturer now offer. The model 3 it’s even worse no HUD display, no regular screen. Flat out dangerous
    4-Absolutely Merc and BMW have an homegrown app to open the car, send navigation etc. People have caught hot
    5- Same as 4
    6-Same as 4
    7-as mentioned in 3 the Tesla system is poor imo, but even if u find it great have u seem the back up cameras in the new cars now? 360 views? Super easy to adjust, self parking taken to the Nth degree
    Oh and last time I check the merc now has rear wheel steering. Check some videos it’s amazing
    8-Autopilot is nice but again it’s exactly just as good in the mercs. My 16 s63 coupe was also doing the same thing as the Tesla version... oh and that switch In the Tesla... it’s a Mercedes one.
    Mercedes were the first one with anything close to an autopilot. My cl65 from 2005 had distronic to match vehicle and traffic speed and would stop and go 15 years ago.
    9- Now let’s talk safety not one thing the Tesla does the mercs don’t do- btw does Tesla offer infrared night assist? I don’t recall
    10-Doest Tesla offer cameras that scan the road ahead of you and adjust live the suspension to the bumpy road?
    11-Superchargers are awesome that’s for sure but the issue is more the number of dealers available for repairs. It will come with time for sure.

I mean I’m by no means a Tesla hater. They are the future but they need a complete reshape of their interior and start upgrading. Ford, BMW, Merc, polestar are all pretty darn close. Can’t sit on your laurels .
    Just watch demuro’s video on the Mach E and the merc tech.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Your top 3 are not hard for other automakers but your right about the charging stations, eventually gas station owners will be adding electric chargers for a fee so that gap will be gone in 5 years.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I like the interior of the Model 3. Very clean and Spartan. Easy to do stuff like change radio stations/volume via steering wheel controls, and the big display allows me to easy access most any other function I may need. The clean Spartan interior reminds me of old school Ferraris.

I don’t need super luxury. As long as the car is comfortable and I can access driving controls easily, I’m good to go.

20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    This is a pretty stupid argument, since its clear that MB is following Tesla at this point (even going so far as to copy the door handles). Car and driver talks about the "Teslafication" of the interior. Not to mention that while a gas engine still has its place in a sports car like a Ferrari, it has no buisness any more in a regular sedan. MB goes to ridiculous efforts to try and smooth out the engine and transmission, and keep them quiet. Switching to a battery and a motor is such a simpler better choice.

However, if you insist on whipping out the measuring stick:
    Model S has a 17" center screen, S-Class has a 12.8", Mach E has a 15.5"

As for the Autopilot, when I drove the last iteration it was pretty terrible in the Merc. But I'll quote C&D for this iteration. " Distronic handled Highway speeds well, but struggled to deliver smooth stops when dealing with heavy traffic." It may theoretically have the same capabilities as Tesla's system, but in reality it is vastly inferior.

Now, all that being said they are certainly catching up. The problem is that they are catching up to a design from 2012, almost a decade ago. Tesla has let the Model S wither on the vine while it works on their other models. Hopefully their will be a significant refresh out soon.

Boomhauer and JERRYZ like this.
  21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Can't see gas stations adding charging stations en masse 5 years from now. The electric supply and space needed most can't afford. My car is at a Level 2 charger now. It still has 65 miles of range left. Plugged it in at 4.30pm. Will not be fully charged till 11.15. That's one 40amp charging station. Plus when it's that long to charge some people might not remove the car till later still.

22. Natkingcolebasket69

I know u don’t like mercs too much;)I’m sorry but Tesla is the one borrowing Merc stocks and stuff not the other way around and although fine then Tesla interior isn’t up to par. I’m not sure what door handles ur referring to? I do agree that they started the bing screen trends.
    I see ur POV but respectfully disagree, however u do make sense;)
    I got an electric car to commute which I don’t use with Covid, and my wife has the new g wagon and I still love the rumble of the v8 and stuff. I’m currently in Europe right now and Tesla isn’t as major. It’s the future but we still have time.
    The Merc has 2 screens now, not just one 12.8 +12.3. it’s nice. The hey Mercedes functions just fine too.
    Teslas are not bad tech wise but when it comes to overall tech and I will add refinement they are just behind what Mercedes proposes. That magic sky button is super cool, the ride quality with cameras looking ahead is just amazing. Chris Harris said the s63 coupe is the best kept secret and he would
    Buy this over Bentley and
    Everything... Quite frankly I found mine better than my FF on many fronts too but I’m not Chris Harris;)

The new version of the autopilot does the same thing as the latest in the Merc. It’s really nice.

I just struggle with the quality of the Tesla interior and their safety features are over hyped IMO.

Still
    Great cars don’t get me
    Wrong. Fantastic vision
    By Elon and absolutely revolutionary in
    The industry. I’m not bashing them. I had shortly a model 3 but didn’t do it for me. It’s the ultimate commuter car for sure.

In my book I’d take German engineering over Tesla’s but hey to each their own. I respect that.

There is a reason the S class has been for decades the king of tech and Mercedes has now 7 WC in f1 in a row. If I’m Tesla I don’t rest on my laurels and keep pushing that’s all
    Im saying, the wolves are coming.

23. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I can, it's not hard to have additional power run into a business, I have done it several times in the past.

"Germany announced that it would require all of the country’s 14,000 or so gas stations to add EV charging stations."

https://insideevs.com/features/457944/electric-vehicle-chargers-gas-stations/

24. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sure it can be done. Also different when you are forced to comply. But I look at stations here in densely populated areas....small lots. How do you justify it financially?
    Maybe when there are universal batteries you remove and reload. Think Rhino propane tanks.

ChipG likes this.
  25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I think if gas stations add charging capability, it would have to be Level 3 charging (supercharger) to make it worthwhile. At home, my level 2 charger gets me about 30 miles of charge per hour. Not very fast.

I seem to remember a few years ago Elon making a big deal about a replaceable battery that could be replaced in a couple minutes. I don’t know why it was never followed up on, as that would be a reasonable approach, especially on long road trips.[/QUOTE]

JERRYZ and ChipG like this.