488 - 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves | Page 5 | FerrariChat

488 488 Pista poor exhaust noise with closed valves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GoHardGT3RS, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Right, it is fixed now and makes a good bit of difference where you want it.

2. markt2260

markt2260 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    Does it pop/crackle in the overrun or is it just louder when you open the throttle ?

3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    it does a little. not as much as I'd like, but definitely more than it did, which I know was none really.

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Wow! I was just looking at how to install one of these of my Pista.

I just did the same thing and an OPF Akrapovic delete pipe too! OMG the sounds is so much better!

And some seat inserts too!

Now I just have to choose between a Capristo or Forza

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

May the Horse be with you

mdrums and johnr265 like this.
  5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Capristo — way more simple to install and allows remote reprogramming of default setting when you start the car.

Also, I had a nightmare scenario with the Novitec muffler with flaps. Choose your muffler carefully; higher $ doesn’t mean better engineering or product.

LARRYH likes this.
  6. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    — way more simple to install and allows remote reprogramming of default setting when you start the car.

That is interesting. Sorry for being ignorant but can you explain what you mean? How can you remotely reprogram the valve controller?

7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Reprogramming meaning what you prefer the default mode to be when you start up the vehicle.

The Forza requires you to access the physical controller box that you will locate in the engine bay to flip a dip switch to set the default mode. If it's not a big deal to you to grab the remote every time you wish to change it before startup (for example, cold start), then this is a moot point.

The Capristo allows you to set the default mode from the remote, rather than having to physically access the controller itself.

mdrums likes this.
  8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have had these before in my F 12 and I did like the Capristo. Does it come with easy instructions to install as well?

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Unfortunately, that part was not included for install, but the installation itself is not too difficult as it is a plug & play system. The access to the locations where the connectors reside is probably where most of the difficulty lies -- removing the rear bumper and the engine covers are the two things that were a total pain when I did it myself on my Speciale. Was fun, but it was not worth the risk for me a second time with the Pista due to the sheer number of clips & screws.

The one area where the installation was tricky (not difficult) is that the Pista actually has two sets of similar looking vacuum solenoids per bank (side). You need to make sure you're installing it on the vacuum lines for the exhaust valves themselves. The connectors for both solenoids is similar, so it's possible to mix them up.

Image below of which ones are the correct solenoids to connect them to.

[​IMG]

mdrums likes this.
  10. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    is this reversible if needed?

SECRET likes this.
  11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Yes it is.

SECRET likes this.
  12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh my.... I am not going to be keen on taking of the rear bumper.

I actually have to get the Horse badge replaced after it was stolen and the guys at Ferrari have to get in there to replace it.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Ah ok. Yeah the badge is held on with two nuts on the backside of the bumper. It will definitely save you on labor if you have the controller for them to install at the same time as when they replace the badge.

14. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thank you for your response. I had the capristo valve controller installed in my pista spider and had very little time to test it before I had to travel abroad. My initial understanding is that I have an off and an on mode but no OEM mode(like without any controller). Perhaps I am wrong, I need to spend more time playing with it. However I wonder if it is a problem for the car/engine if going with valves open full time?

15. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    There is only two modes:

Button 1 = OEM Mode, also called "Cruise" -- This leaves the car to behave as if the controller is not installed
    Button 2 = Valves Open Mode, also called "Sport" -- This forces the valves to remain open no matter what
    If you notice that one of the buttons causes your car to close the valves at all times, then you may want to consider taking the little magnet that comes with the controller and touch it to the "car type" magnetic switch shown below. Test the car again after you do this (note that you'll need to drive the car to notice the change as the valves are normally open at idle on the Pista.

16. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will go into this as soon as I can drive my pista again.

17. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    If you are just talking about the controller, whether Forza or Capristo, you do not need to take the bumper completely off, just take off the inner rear wheel liner. Not saying it's easy, but it's doable. If you loosen that bolt I mention, it makes it a bit easier. See my posts starting at #63.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488-pista-poor-exhaust-noise-with-closed-valves.617980/page-3

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Wait, what? Details please. I recall you being sold heavily on the Novitec so how did it all work out and what were the issues exactly?

19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    It's a troubling story all around. I wonder how many have had the problem. SECRET will tell us.

20. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It melted the PPF on my rear bumper. Happened to another forum member here as well.

mdrums likes this.
  21. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks John, I still have to get the Ferrari to put the horse badge back on.... so I may as well do this together.

Or potentially I could do both myself and save a **** tone of money.

johnr265 likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So what did they do about that? I’d say if it generates heat to melt the ppf then it will also cause paint discolouration over time. The novi muffler is huge in that area compared to what was there previously so it doesn’t surprise me given the confined space it occupies.
    So do you still have it on? Id get rid of it.

23. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #123 SECRET, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Got rid of it super fast like a bad date, my friend! I’ll say it was very challenging to get my money back, and they are fortunate that I’m not pursuing other damages right now (transport fees, labor for install/removal, PPF replacement, etc).

We all know that none of the aftermarket parts we all buy for our Ferraris actually cost anywhere near the prices we pay. That said, we generally pay the prices hoping that with all the cost and sometimes hype, that manufacturers at least put serious engineering into their parts. I’ve seen that level of effort and attention to detail from certain brands like Forza, Carbonio, and several others. Additionally, one may falsely expect that with the sky high price comes unbeatable support and service. That wasn’t the case with Novitec.

I won’t go into details here, but I will say buyer beware. Make sure you know what you’re getting into, and let this be fair warning of this issue. Again, allegedly this doesn’t happen to other buyers, but there is one other forum member here with a Pista that had this issue.

I’m starting to doubt that any meaningful development effort went into other Novitec parts for the Pista v. 488. For example — you’ll notice the springs are the same part number between the two cars. It may just be that there’s a bit of “if it fits” engineering when it comes to certain parts, where other parts get some development time like “aero” carbon etc.

I won’t be purchasing any more parts/etc from the brand.

mdrums and Shadowfax like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You definitely haven't had much luck Secret but good to hear you at least got your money back. I'd always wondered about the size of that huge muffler in such a confined space so how they didn't test it for heat is beyond me. The whole thing looked very suss and ordinary. I've always had doubts about their products. Just looking at them they appear to be a one size fits all except for a different bracket here and there and their design hasn't changed at all since the atmo offerings to properly accommodate the changes in the new turbo line up. Looked an over rated over priced piece of pipe if you ask me. At least Kline purpose built their system for the turbo 488/Pista and haven't wrapped it all up in bandages so you can see the welding. Users all seem happy too.

So what are your plans now? Leave it stock with just the controller?

mdrums likes this.
  25. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof

I installed the novitec valved exhuast on my 488 a month ago.
    I hope I dont get that problem. My car is in the shop for a wrap now.