430 how long do they last | FerrariChat

430 how long do they last

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferraridreamer32, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
    Been looking for my first ferrari a 430.
    I see ferrari guys are really concerned about miles like 30k miles is alot.

What is the serviceable life of a ferrari, without engine rebuilds and it getting more expensive than worth it to keep on the road?
    Im from the corvette world and vettes can go 150-200k no problem.

I know its a different world with a higher compression engine turning at higher rpms.
    Just curious as If i am looking at one, how many miles I can expect

2. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Ferrari has said that they make the most reliable V8. They are trying to prove that by selling new car warranties on older cars like 430s that are in very good condition. It is a compelling argument. Know any other cars with hew car warranties on 13-year-old cars like my 2007 430?

3. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    #3 mathewr, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Interesting. I wonder what the “new car warranty” would cost on my 2006 F430, 15600 miles?

And the real question, what does it actually cover? I could see making a claim with Ferrari and them saying- “we see you have the Ferrari warranty but unfortunately it does not cover that leak, and o yeah, it does not cover that leak or part either. But we can offer you this Ferrari key chain at 50% off today and make you a hell of a deal on all these Portonfino’s that no one seems to want.”

I’m being a smartazz but you get my point.

imahorse likes this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think mileage is a factor

Like every car .. time and mileage play a part on how long it lasts

You can buy 2 of any car and drive one 100000 in four years and the other 100000 in 20 years but i am sure the first one will still be in great condition whereas the second not so much

Driving a nice distance everytime you take a car out has less wear and impact on the engine etc vs short runs in top of age of rubber, seals etc

I am sure if you would use a modern ferrari as a daily driver and put 20 k a year ..it will go a long way just like every other car made today

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

VAF84 and armedferret like this.
  5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Mrpseudonym and KC360 FL like this.
  6. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I got this from the Cali thread about warranty. I think yours may be too old for a multiyear, but they may sell you one year if it passes CPO.

• Engine: crankcase and all internal components thereof, cylinder heads and valvetrain, oil radiators, head gaskets, oil sump and oil pump, variable valve timing adjusters, solenoid valve (oil seals and oil leaks not covered), ionising ECU.
    • Ignition/Injection systems: Oxygen sensors, secondary air system (secondary air system pump and valves only).
    • Mechanical gearbox/F1 gearbox: gearbox casing and differential housings, including all internal components.
    • F1 Power Unit: electric pump, valves; actuator, ECU, selected and engaged gear sensor (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • DCT gearbox: gearbox and all internal components, ECU (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Power Transmission Unit: ECU; clutch (rubber boots excluded).
    • PTU: all internal components (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Suspension and steering: complete steering box, suspension arm joints, power steering pump (excluding drive belt), toe-in tie-rods, ECU for controls on steering wheel (oil seals and oil leaks not covered).
    • Cooling system: water pumps, fans (leaks not covered).
    • Air conditioning/heating: AC system control devices, AC compressor and climate control ECU.
    • Electrical system: alternator, starter motor, ignition coil, engine ECU, transmission ECU, crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, power window motors.
    • Fuel and induction system: injectors, throttle bodies, air flow sensor, intake manifold, pressure regulator, temperature sensors, fuel pipes, fuel pumps.
    • Brake system: hydraulic brake pump, brake pressure regulator and servo.
    • Bodywork: RHT roof function (wear, bodywork and paint defects, seals and water infiltration not covered).

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My opinion:
    Not everyone is concerned about mileage. Some of us like the fun of driving them.

Like any engine, proper maintenance and driving techniques can make the difference, i.e., warming the engine (Oil Temp comes off the cold peg) before >3K rpm (FChat tribal knowledge).

Just don't drive it in the rain.

JSP, ifeelfree0, 360trev and 4 others like this.
  8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

See my project scud thread. My scud was a track rental and didn’t leave that employ until it had 53k miles. That’s 53k TRACK miles! And guess what? It drives great, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t burn oil, and I love it. Change the oil frequently, address a few of the known weak spots (all cars have them), drive them regularly, and over maintain them, and they are just as reliable as any other sports car! (IMHO).

Jda550911, VAF84, day355 and 5 others like this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    IMO maintenance is far more important than miles. Records and an owner who has had the car for many years is your best bet. Guys who drive and keep their Ferrari for years understand that lack of maintenance is only going to come back and bite them. IMO guys who keep a Ferrari for a year or two, probably, not always, want the Ferrari experience and drive them like hell and then sell or trade them before they have to "pay the piper".

The 430 Ferrari is a great car. Their is little to fear from a higher mileage car that was well maintained. Most folks balk at the higher mileage because of resale values not so much out of fear of mechanical problems. Scout this forum and you will find a wealth of info on higher mileage 430s that have been nothing but a pleasure to own.

10. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
    Thanks guys. Looking at a 2005.
    Silver with black interior. 19k miles.
    Needs a clutch. Top speed headers and exhaust. Capristo exhaust mount.
    50 percent tires. 40 percent left on brake pads.
    He’s down to 91k.
    Thinking of offering 80k and putting a new clutch in at foreign cars italia before bringing the car home. Opinions ?

11. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Sounds like a good deal if you can get it close to $80k. The clutch will be around $10k all said and done.

12. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    There’s no way I’d buy a car for asking price with a clutch that needs to be replaced. Have it replaced before you buy or account for that in the price. This is what I did.

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Is it a spider or a coupe? Silver with black interior, while a very nice combo ( I personally like colors other than red) is not the best for resale. I'm sure the owner/dealer knows that and I'd play that to your advantage too.
    Spiders while not necessarily problematic, they are an added expense and upkeep. Not cheap to have a top mechanism repaired or a new top put on. But if a drop top does it for you... then just budget for it down the line. Also, probably a silly question considering the price, but it is an F1 not a stick, right?

Do your homework. Look at the Carfax. Not an end all do all, but certainly can garner a good amount of information there. Number of owners, where the car has been (in what states: dry or the rust belt), and of course any accidents. But be aware often times accidents or repair from "contact" are not always recorded on the CarFax. Don't take anyone's word for anything. Check it out yourself. Ask for records. Regular maintenance. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the chase and overlook things you will wish you hadn't.

14. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    What percentage of the clutch life is remaining?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. ferraridreamer32

May 3, 2014
    Clutch life is down to 30 percent.
    Yes it’s an f1 box

16. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    I am new to this forum. Just got myself a f430 with 40k miles on it. I also own a maserati 4200 which uses more or less the same engine and f1 box. I use that car as a daily driver. I have put more than 150k miles on this. Yes maintaince required. But overall no major issues. The more you drive, the more reliable they become.
    To me, the 430 looks even stronger than the 4200. The only thing I strongly recommend is to park it in a garage with a temp of 17 degrees and a humidity level of about 40%. Overall i think you can easily put 200-300k miles on a 430 if maintained correctly.
    Cutch life I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's a wear item. I replaced 2 clutches during the 150k miles of my 4200.

brookliner7 and armedferret like this.
  17. Fenz

Fenz Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    Team Europe

280800 km (174 481 miles) F430, still running...

(250000 km / 157 000 miles was in 2018, the 280800 km is the actual figures as for 2020-10-09).

NMNMNMN and armedferret like this.
  18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    they last a long time but that doesnt mean cheap or without headaches. anyone who says a ferrari is low maintenance and headache free is lying.

19. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Could be worse......could be an alfa. ;)

NMNMNMN and Mor like this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha yep - its not all ferrari’s fault either/ inevitably most of these cars sit most of the time.

KC360 FL likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ttforcefed is correct. Sitting in the garage does no good for any car. Drive it.
    Also about the maintenance costs: Take a look at any high end car (Lexus, MB, etc.) repair costs out of warranty.
    You are driving in some instances, depending on the year, a 15 year old Ferrari. You'll just have to be realistic about that.
    Depreciation? Take a look at what finance charges and lost value on a 5 year old MB, Lexus, etc. total up to.

And of course, you are driving a Ferrari. Quite something to experience in one's life.

armedferret likes this.
  22. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    Agreed with everything here. Don’t worry about the mileage, drive and enjoy the car. I’ve never understood the guys that care about higher mileage due to resale. If you are that concerned about a $10-$50K premium in 10 years due to “low mileage” should you be even buying the car? F430s are pretty solid, enjoy!

JSP and Ricambi America like this.
  23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They sure look pretty when they have 0 miles and everything is fresh and clean. But boy oh boy, do they rot like a banana on the table if they don't get exercise.

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m starting to think the mileage price issue comes from shrewd negotiators and un-informed sellers/buyers who only utilize retail repair shops.

the myth of the Ferrari mileage bogey-man persists in car culture....

brookliner7 and VAF84 like this.
  25. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    My last car was a Lotus Elise with a Toyota drive train for six years. I bought it and sold it for the same price and just changed oil every year and a set of tires. I have owned my 430 for almost a year with no bills except gas.