488 Spider audio upgrade | FerrariChat

488 Spider audio upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gadgetplayer, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    I recently bought a 488 Spider with the stock audio system - not the JBL sound. It sounded rather low volume to me without proper bass. I purchased an audio upgrade from Mike Niday from Scuderia Audio in the US and had it installed. I am super happy. The additional Focal tweeters that are angled towards the seats look completely stock and the new midrange / bass Focal speakers with the correct installation plates supplied by Scuderia Audio makes all the difference. Without replacing the amplifier, the volume is much higher and the sound is crystal clear.

This is highly recommended in my opinion.

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks for your write up. So your audio upgrade consisted of replacing the door speakers and adding new tweeters?
    Quick questions. Can you tell us the model numbers and specs of the Focal speakers in terms of model number, size, and resistance, Also do you know the power rating of your amp? I believe the standard factory audio system is a 4 channel with 45 watts per channel.

3. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    That is correct. The stock midrange speakers in the doors are replaced with high end Focal speakers, together with special mounting rings for those speakers. The existing stock tweeters in the doors remain, and ADDITIONAL high end tweeters are added in the small black plastic triangle on the A pillars of the doors. This is a special 3D printed housing which hold the Focal tweeters and which fits perfectly. All the parts come from Mike Niday from Scuderia Audio - https://scuderiaaudio.com/product/458-focal-6-5-components-system/. His service is world class. I am not sure about the technical specs of the new Focal tweeters or the stock 488 audio system amplifier watts per channel. All I know is that the sound quality and clarity is a major upgrade over the stock speakers. I'm sure Mike will be able to answer your questions though ([email protected]).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SVCalifornia likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks again for the reply and the pictures. Did you leave the B pillar speakers (behind the seats ) un-modified?

5. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    any wiring needed? or just swap to the new speakers and Amp?

6. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    There are no speakers other than the ones in the door as shown. The only speakers that remain the same are the stock tweeters on the top sections of the doors. The midrange speakers at the bottom sections of the doors are replaced, and new tweeters are added in the A-pillar, which is simply patched into the wires of the stock tweeters.

7. Gadgetplayer

Gadgetplayer Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Louis
    There is no special wiring required. The stock midrange speakers are replaced with new ones, and new tweeters are added in the A-pillars, which is simply patched into the wires of the stock tweeters. There is no amp change or special additional wiring to the amp. The biggest job is for a qualified installer to remove the door panels - but all the mounting hardware is provided by Scuderia Audio.

SVCalifornia likes this.