Waterless Car Washing | FerrariChat

Waterless Car Washing

Discussion in 'Australia' started by psw, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Seasons greetings to all, has anyone used or know of waterless car washing products, the guy I bought the Sebring from never washed the car with water, opinions please if you've used any products or you think its a no no?

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I think if the car lives indoors, and only has short drives on sunny days, it might be an option - of course, that's very bad for it mechanically. In all other cases, you can't beat water with detergent of some kind to get the dirt and road grime off, and a harsher solvent like petrol to shift the exhaust residue. I the car has some proprietary wax product on it, there will be a recommended wash to go with it. The key is to dry it off thoroughly when you've finished, including a short drive to 100kph to blow out the crevices.

psw, knocker and au-yt like this.
  3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    AGREED!

Arvin Grajau, psw and Steve355F1 like this.
  4. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've always been an advocate for full car wash with water on all my cars past & present, however the Sebring is not likely to be driven in the rain unless caught out in it & the previous owner used it all the time, so its probably more likely it is dust & some road grime picked up when driven maybe monthly. If the car is really dirty I wouldn't consider waterless, I've been doing a lot of googling & it seems Meguiar's is the product if one is going to do it.

5. FazzerPorscheman

FazzerPorscheman F1 World Champ

Jul 28, 2010
    Piz Gloria
    Full Name:
    EnzoFerdinand
    #5 FazzerPorscheman, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Pete I know you have asked about and are looking for waterless, however I bought one of these just to try and was so amazed with the results I bought one for Gezim too.

We both swear by it.

I can get refill bottles for $10 at Trade Tools. One bottle does 4 washes.

Comes with Karcher fittings to the foamer, which you detach for easy transfer to the next bottle.

It's obviously not waterless, however for a very quick wash without touching paint or wheels in any way apart from the foam itself, it works incredibly well.

Apply in shade when cool. Allow to sit 3-4 minutes and then rinse off with water blaster on low.

** For a car not driven often, best to keep off brake rotors too.

I haven't tried any other brand to be honest, I truly cannot believe what an amazing job this does.

I also only dry my car with a petrol blower with a rated maximum capacity of 290 kmh. This output can also be reduced.

I am careful around trim and mouldings, you would have to be extra careful.

Anyway, works very well for me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gizzi, psw, knocker and 1 other person like this.
  6. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Was the car paint corrected when you bought the car? if it was it was due to the fine marring (scratches) on the paint from using a water less wash and a chamois.

Properly restored cars of that era should be fine to us water, however only sparingly, I use a microfiber wash mitt and rinse it in a bucket after each area cleaned. and rinse off with a hose with straight flowing end fitting so the water comes of in sheets and leaves the car almost dry. and use microfiber cloths to dry off.

psw likes this.
  7. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm not sure if it was paint corrected, the paint is in exceptional condition, I suspect it was professionally detailed for the sale, I may experiment once if just slightly dusty with the Meguiar's product but will certainly use normal water & suds if it is anything beyond a little dust & very light dirt.

I can't remember the product the previous owner used but he said he never used anything but microfiber clothes. If I have plenty of water in a wash I use a chamois to dry bulk off & then I use microfiber to finish with.

8. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Snow foam is good Pete...That’s what I use for my Fcars...Ask Greg he’s normally overstocked after Ian’s visited...He might do you a good deal...:)

9. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ian always makes such a mess when he kums over

psw, au-yt, Steve355F1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Looks like Carl’s daily...:)

Steve355F1 likes this.
  11. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Better out than in

Steve355F1 and Maranello550 like this.
  12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I avoid wet washing older cars whenever possible and I wouldn't use a chemical based cleaner like snow foam or Karcher on a non-galvanised car body. Most contain sodium salts. Whilst I agree that you should take a car for a drive after washing, the reality is that water and/or chemical residue will still be trapped under rubber window seals and can start eroding the paint. The front and rear screen seals on old Italian cars are particularly prone to this, but there are so many water traps on these cars that you don't want to be waving a hose over them.

My Daytona and 575 were always dry washed and had no fine scratches. 1st step is to go over the car with a duster. California Car Duster is the best, from Amazon. Waxit.com.au supply Pinnacle Spray Wax which is very high in Carnauba content. I use this as a dry wash. Any good quality spray detailer will do the job but I really like the finish Pinnacle gives. Some people swear by Permanon, which gives a "wet" look that suits modern paint finishes. I use this on my dailys.

When the car is properly dirty after a trip I will wet wash it then dry wash with Carnauba wax spray. I have a filter on my garden hose that removes chlorine from the water (see pic) and reduces "spotting" as the water dries. Highly recommended.

Buy good quality micro fibre cloths (waxit.com.au) and keep them clean. Separately use and store top and lower panel cloths. If you're dry washing but have road spray on lower panels, go over them first with a microfibre cloth and a bucket of suds. Have another bucket with clean rinse water to remove grit from the cloth after each panel.

Once your car is clean, absolutely do not drive it in the rain :D

psw, Steve355F1, au-yt and 2 others like this.
  13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    psw, greg246 and Maranello550 like this.
  14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks more like he is wiping the blood off the car from the last dead hooker he threw in the trunk.

15. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Piper grew up too quick

Maranello550 likes this.
  16. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I'm a great advocate for "Final inspection " products and a Microfiber cloth (used once and chucked )

17. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Do you guys all live in the same flats? Nice..

Steve355F1 and knocker like this.
  18. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Housing commission

Steve355F1 and Arvin Grajau like this.
  19. Maranello550

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yeah..Blu Oyster Bar run from the basement level...Give Arsvin a free pass?...:)

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  20. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Well he in the CBD ,once was one in Collins st ...............so I'm told.

Maranello550 likes this.
  21. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Welfare grubs?

22. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Ian, that sounds like a great procedure & similar to what the previous owner described, I’m going to try this out

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you worry about fine scratches then touching the paint with a microfiber outside of washing is not for you. Spend thousands on a paint correction. Just a light touch with a dry finger leaves a scratch on modern Ferrari paint.

24. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Whatever it takes to own a Ferrari

25. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I dry the Italians with this dog hair drier, gets into all the nooks and stops me creating swirl art.

Attached Files:

Maranello550, Steve355F1 and greg246 like this.