Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by jumpinjohn, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Wish they put out a loaner / test mule AF car for the buyers on the fence about the AF/Non-AF decision so we knew what we are getting into. Going to be pissed if my AF spec us unbearable to drive on the street.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Andrew97

Andrew97 Rookie

Sep 14, 2016
    I've driven an Af car last week. I was expecting it to be a lot stiffer.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Please share as much detail as you can. My order has not gone into the “you can’t change it anymore” stage

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Interesting. How do you compare the AF suspension to a Pista?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CJMmDCXlhoB/

powerslidelover
    #PSLReview #SF90
    I had very high expectations for this car but most times when you have such high expectations it is easy to be disappointed.
    Not in this case.
    This car is unbelievable! I think the chief test driver @raffaeledesim11 is blocking me on whatsapp because I’m harassing him every time I use the SF90 to compliment him and the team for how the car drives.
    I don’t know if in the straight line it is as fast as the hypercars but on the road there isn’t ANYTHING as fast as this.
    It has power at every rev, it just flies every time you push the pedal, without lag or delay. And with short gearing it arrives immediately to the rev limiter.
    With the assetto fiorano you can’t control the stiffness of the suspensions but for me it is perfect, not too stiff but the right stiffness not to roll on turns or on hard acceleration/braking.
    It has such a sharp frontend which gives no understeer at all.
    It has so much grip that you can go so fast, very fast, fastissimo cazzo. The electronics work to always maximise traction, also with esc off you have to fight it because it tries to straighten it back. I am having difficulties to do the long slides that I am use to do with other #Ferrari because she fights to go back straight and she is good at fighting like Tyson and she always wants to bite my ear off.
    This car was developed to go fast and to be easy to drive and it is absolutely fast and easy. That’s a problem though because I don’t know how long it will last before I crash it because you are always 20/30km/h faster than you think.
    It’s easy to drive but is not easy to focus on how fast you are going. It’s a game changer.
    Today if you can afford it I think that for road use, because I haven’t driven on track and I don’t know if its too heavy, there isn’t other car like this and it makes no sense to buy a Pista or F8.
    Although it also has some defects.
    The fabulous steering wheel with touch screen buttons is very beautiful but if you are driving fast you don’t know how to accept a phone call or other stuff, you always have to slow down and look at what you are touching.
    And remember not to park on deep snow, because its not 4WD in reverse, otherwise sono cazzi

D11, stavura, BaronM69 and 12 others like this.
  6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Good to read your driving impressions. It is as fast as the hypercars in a straight line. I can compare to the LaF and the acceleration is similar although the way it is delivered is different. I still think a LaF on modern tyres is faster around a track, but on a public road or a twisty, slippery mountain pass nothing comes close. I agree on the steering wheel, but I am so happy they finally decided to use a thinner rim that I don’t care about the buttons...it is a lot of car for the money and I agree there is no point getting a Pista or a F8 instead

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bas, bwshihtzu, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  7. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I wonder if those who have a pista wind up selling it after getting the sf.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Feel the same way about my Pista. Boring and forgetful, like the 488 it is born from.
    Enjoying the CS and TDF now until STO arrives.

Bas and day355 like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nope. Two totally different cars. I track the Pista, this was bought for the road.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Did you eve track your forgetful Pista? Also, will you be tracking the STO or just cruise it around Beverly Hills?

11. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks for these SF90 driving impressions.

Can you tell by feel or sounds when the front electric motors are doing their thing? On my NSX I can't really tell other than experiencing how well the car pulls though turns.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #112 dustman, Dec 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Uber and Doordash.

cP

Boomhauer, Thecadster and of2worlds like this.
  13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha!

Since I don’t track cars, I opted for F8 rather than Pista and really love it. Still think I would keep F8 and add SF90 Spider. Enough differences to warrant both and even though the F8 will not likely ever appreciate, it is the last regular production mid V8 non hybrid. I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Il Co-Pilota and of2worlds like this.
  14. 488mct

488mct Rookie

Feb 6, 2017
    Oman
    Had the opportunity to drive the SF90 last weekend. Like almost all current ferrari models, the SF90 looks way better in person than in pictures. The first thing I noticed is how far deep the engine sits in the car. As i first sat in the drivers seat, its a very different feeling, the tech is dialed up, way up.. The tach is virtual, the whole curved virtual cockpit is too much. lots of features, too many buttons and mouse pads surface stuff. The wheel is a bit thinner than usual which I liked. I hit the rev limiter a few times because the tach screen would disappear and the navigation screen would come on, very distracting ! lots of unfamiliar bells kept going off and at one point even a virtual assistant voice came on !
    The turbos make a loud distinctive sound, the exhaust sound is not something to write home about.The power on this car was unrelenting to say the least, the Torque is addictive. The electric part adds this amazing supply of torque which puts this car in a different league. The AWD makes the car feel very stable at all times. Feels heavy though.

I look forward to a track day to really push the car for an extended period to decided if I really like it.

tomc, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    #115 Maximus1977, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Test drove the SF90 last week in the pooring rain.
    I had very high hopes for the SF90.
    They fel flat.
    It's neither meat nor fish as if Ferrari couldn't decide what they wanted to do with the car direction.
    Supercar, GT car, sports car, track car, tech car.... it's a bit of everything and thus nothing in particular.
    I will admit the interior is a gadget lovers dream and the crowd I had (millenials) all loved the interior (as well as the exterior).
    The interior is a major step up; wether you like the push buttons or not. Little detail is that the sound system actually sounded pretty decent (first for any Ferrari).

Like all new Ferrari's, the SF90 is a beauty in the real world. We always say, pictures don't do it justice and that holds true for the SF90 as well. My test car is the grey Fiorano test car everyone has seen. it's not a good combo for the car. This car screams (in red or bold colours) supercar and is not understated on purpose like some modern Ferrari's.

The test car I drove also had the Fiorano package. Did not feel stiff at all. in Fact I had more the feeling this was a GT cruiser on the high way. Bells and westles, nice stereo, loads of blicking lights; could be a daily driver.

In the pooring rain I did not notice the 4wd system that as the SF90 was very easy to slide in corners.

I was expecting the 1000hp performance to blow me away, but it did not. In fact it felt underwhelming as if during the devemlopment someone else stepped in and said to the team "hold on guys, let's not go crazy here". The sound also sounded distant and detached. absolutely not hypercar worthy. The sound is more distant and mechanical and muffled.
    My biggest concern is that it simply does noty 'feel' fast. Yes,I do see the spedometer ramp up the km's pretty darn quickly but it simply feels underpowered. No drama whatsoever; which to me is killing in a supercar. It should feel fast almost at standstill; otherwise why bother and simply get an AMG/M/RS!

One thing I did like was that the steering is true to Ferrari hyper sensitive. Feedback surely is realy great. the AF suspension does make you feel every litle groudn surface detail yet still being comfortable.

I'm sure this is all due to new regulations and restrictions for cars.
    However that also summs up my experience (in the pooring rain) with the SF90.
    It feels caged and restricted and a bit of everything.
    A technoligical marvel but also not really like any other Ferrari.

Still, I'm glad I'm getting one!
    I'm glad I'm getting the Spider as I'm sure the comfort suits the Spider so much better than the coupe.
    For sheer drving fedback/thrills I'll take my Pista any day!

Bas, mayer, Caeruleus11 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well, that's a first honest report imo, thanx for sharing. Untill now we always got an idea of a hyper-hypercar ...

Please write one report again in your own new car Maximus ! We hope to see you drive it in NL soon ...

17. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    I did had to mention twice that testing was done in the pooring rain. We all know how ferrari's love pooring rain......!

Melvok and of2worlds like this.
  18. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I am amazed it didn’t feel fast to you... it felt pretty fast to me next to the LaF and a level above the Pista... perhaps it was the rain...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Melvok like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why is his review more honest than the others? He had his experience which just differed from the others, that just makes it different, not more honest.
    And when it comes to what the car can actually do, I think it is safe to say that pouring rain is not exactly the best to give an overall idea of the car.

Just some thoughts.

D11, Juvendude, Napoli and 9 others like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Put Jan Magnussen in the SF90 and rain or shine he would soon tell you what you had to work with! :D

21. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    It’s more honest because it suits what he wants to hear.
    At the end of the day it’s just another car, some will like it and some will find reasons not to :)

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    With respect, it’s hard to see that review as anything other than an outlier. I can get if people don’t like it, but if someone tells me it doesn’t feel fast, given both owners and journalists have said otherwise, I suspect my own conclusions will be different when I get to drive ours (hopefully next spring). Did I really hear underpowered’?

D11, Juvendude, Il Co-Pilota and 3 others like this.
  23. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    Again, I'm pretty darn sure the pooring rain did hamper my experience with the car.
    Overal the car is an achievement for Ferrair; no doubt about it.
    And yes, I did say it feels 'underpowered', as in the chasis and powerplant make you feel like there is ample untapped power left somewhere.
    Next time I'll drive it in the dry and give anotehr honest opinion.
    Chris Harris also did a pretty unbiased test about the car.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. Maximus1977

Feb 13, 2016
    Probably due to the weather and lack of proper noise.

25. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Would love to understand what your criteria for calling this report honest is?
    I had the exact same thought as you after reading the post. Probably because it validates some pre-conceived notions of the poster?

Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.