McLaren | Page 31 | FerrariChat

McLaren

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you. So it's strictly in the McLaren Racing subsidiary and doesn't affect the other two subsidiaries of McLaren Group. If that deal allows ownership of the assets of the racing team from the past (old race cars in storage), it's a pretty good deal. I wonder how they are valuing those vehicles in it as they wouldn't fall under the other two subsidiary assets. US pro sports teams are valued substantially higher and don't have as much in the form of assets as F1...mainly future revenue.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

McLaren has confirmed that it has sold a minority stake in its Formula 1 team to a US-based consortium as part of a £185million investment deal.

As reported on Saturday, McLaren is entering a partnership with a consortium led by sports investment group MSP Sport Capital, which is joining forces with UBS O'Connor, LLC and The Najafi Companies.

MSP will acquire a 15% stake in McLaren initially, but will increase its shareholding to a maximum of 33% by the end of 2022. The deal values the McLaren team at £560million.

Flavio_C likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Good news for McLaren. Finishing 3rd in the WCC boosted the team's value too, probably.

4. DF1

Hi William! Yes very very good news. We need a strong Mclaren!

william likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hi !
    McLaren was my favourite team once!
    I hope they will play more or a role now with Mercedes power.

Senna1994 likes this.
  6. DF1

I really want Ricci and Norris to do well. Both talented and fun drivers.

jmillard308 and jcurry like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I like Ricciardo, and he should fit well at McLaren.
    The drivers pairing looks strong.

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    A message from Mclaren to Ferrari......in Italian.

Bas, classic308, william and 2 others like this.
  9. DF1

GO Mclaren! :)

Beat the 'Tracers/Cloners' :)

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/60583/mclaren-trust-fia-to-close-design-short-cuts-brown/

McLaren trust FIA to close design 'short-cuts' - Brown

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown has faith the FIA will ensure teams work as "independent entities" and do not "inherit" the work of others in future years.

McLaren was among a number of teams that included Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Haas, Renault and Williams who registered concerns over the design process behind the Racing Point RP20 ahead of the season.

The car bore such a striking resemblance to the 2019 title-winning machine the team was dubbed 'Tracing Point' and the car nicknamed 'The Pink Mercedes'.

An FIA investigation into the rear brake ducts ruled the parts had not been wholly designed by Racing Point and were predominantly the work of Mercedes for which the team was docked 15 constructors' points and handed a €400,000 fine.

With regard to the future, Brown said: "It’s clearly a competitive advantage for the teams that are passing along that information or those parts, both financially, sporting and politically.
    "At the same time, the teams that are on the receiving end are able to short-cut and inherit the work of others. There are many teams doing it now. We’ll just have to monitor the situation.

"I think the FIA has stated their intent is everyone should be their own independent entity.

"So that’s how McLaren wants to go racing, will continue to go racing. But hey, this is Formula 1. It’s tough and so you’ve got to beat everyone within what the rules are."

With Haas strengthening its ties with Ferrari, and Red Bull and AlphaTauri already enjoying a strong relationship, Brown said the example of Mercedes and Racing Point proved how the concept works "at the extreme".

McLaren, although entering into a power unit partnership with Mercedes for next year, has no ties linking it to another team.

But Brown added he hopes the FIA "define the boundaries" of what is permissible under the regulations.

"I think we’ve seen, at the extreme, what it’s capable of producing," said Brown.

"I think we feel strongly that it’s a constructors’ championship: you need to design, build, manufacture your own race car. That’s what all the men and women at McLaren do.

"I think McLaren continues to monitor the situation and we need to kind of rely on them to define what those boundaries are."

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    McLaren did indeed beat Racing Point in the championship :D
    Another amusing fact is that they did it with the allegedly crap Renault engine, while Red Bull, having switched to Honda, did beat McLaren but could not challenge Mercedes... since it's very likely Red Bull has a better car than McLaren (not to mention a better lead driver), the switch to Honda did not bring them any benefit (they would have beaten McLaren all the same with a Renault engine) - apart from the fact that they are now linked to an engine supplier having announced its retirement.

jpalmito likes this.
  11. DF1

Yes I was thinking next year for my post lol :)

Was ironic that Renault power did well this year in the Mclaren. RedBull dig a nice hole to work out of now. This is the largest situation awaiting F1 for PU regs. A freeze. I hope there is not one. RedBull have the money to develop an engine. They do not want to spend it. Fine do not, but its something they should pay Honda to do. Set up a small development company with Honda and pay for the continued refinement. Nothing should be frozen at all.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If IFA had not docked RP 15 points, RP would have taken 3rd.

Thus, it is fair to say the FIA made McLaren 3rd in WCC not that McLaren beat RP.

william likes this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep....agreed. Add to that Strolls 7 DNF's and Perez's 4 DNF's.

It was a "team effort" that led to McLaren's 3rd place finish....of course some bore more weight in percentage than others.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are right; I forgot about that !

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    If, if, if...
    If RP had not taken over illegally the 2019 Mercedes design, would have they been good enough to "fairly" beat McLaren?
    In the end the facts have to be accepted for what they are, and so have the results.
    McLaren has beaten RP in the 2020 constructor's championship.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, the results have to be accepted for what they are, I agree. No "ifs" and "buts".

Next year McLaren and Aston Martin will have the same Mercedes engines, and I think McLaren will be ahead.

17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    A couple of wins fo Daniel next year ?

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ron Dennis must be rolling in his grave.

Or wherever he is now.

jpalmito likes this.
  19. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We need a Zak Brown Italian simulcast for all 2021 F1 races

RWatters likes this.
  20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    So we are really on the verge of having just two or three cars racing...Mercedes with its four teams (Mercedes, McLaren, Williams, Aston Martin) and Ferrari with its three teams (Ferrari, Alfa, Hass), with Renault down to one car and RB running two teams but with the same discontinued engine. That's 70% of the grid basically racing the same two engines. What a decline since the days when we had engines from Ford Cosworth, Matra, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Renault, BMW, and TAG Porsche.

375+ likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They never raced all at the same time.
    There was a time when it was only Ferrari against a field of 20 Cosworth-powered cars.

Senna1994 likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The Cosworth engines were over 50% of the cars in many years durring its reign.

william likes this.
  23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    And the teams bought the engines from Cosworth...Cosworth didn't run their teams and design their cars and sell them suspensions.

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The Renault engine really came good this year and was the biggest contributor to the improved performance of both McLaren and the Renault team itself, I believe, and was arguably the 2nd best engine.

As such, I really don’t expect a huge jump in performance from McLaren next year, especially since they need to adapt to a completely new PU system. They will certainly not make the jump tRP did since, apart from the engine, they will not be getting the car design from Merc.

stavura, DF1 and jpalmito like this.
  25. DF1

McLaren Formula 1 driver Lando Norris has tested positive for COVID-19 and is now self-isolating in Dubai.

Norris is currently in the United Arab Emirates on holiday ahead of a planned training camp, but after recognising some symptoms, underwent a test for COVID-19 on Monday.

McLaren confirmed in a statement that Norris had tested positive, and would now be self-isolating for the next two weeks.

"McLaren can confirm that Lando Norris tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday in Dubai, where he is currently on holiday ahead of a planned training camp," a statement reads.

"After recognising a loss of taste and smell, he was tested immediately and informed the team. In line with local regulations, he is now self-isolating at his hotel for 14 days.

"He is currently feeling well and reports no other symptoms."