Next stablemate for the Pista | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Next stablemate for the Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No. Brand new construction. Not built yet. Yes- we will for sure be displaced for a few months at a minimum. Just not sure how long. I’ll be fine. My kids are both off to college so it’s just my wife and I. We will spend a few months in cabo, few months traveling. I can work from anywhere as long as I have a laptop and internet. Will figure it out. It’s all a fun adventure at this point.

GT2goneF likes this.
  2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Super happy for you! My kids are "off to college" at home. LOL. It is nice to have them around. It will kick us in the @$$ when they leave again. But, such is life. So I am riding the wave for now.

Enjoy your nomad/workcation experience, whenever it starts.

Blessings.

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    oh, you got the tdf! strong work. 16m plus speciale for tdf, yes, good move.

GT2goneF and plastique999 like this.
  4. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    That is so true and funny :D

5. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Just love the suspended/floating office above garage concept - very nicely done!!!

6. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Fair enough. I agree that Ferrari should be held in a slightly higher regard than the other marques, but I also think Lamborghini and McLaren are awesome. Lastly, I can’t argue with how you feel about the 812. I love mine.

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why should Ferrari be held in a higher regard? Mclaren beats it in performance. Lambo beats it in presence- I mean there is nothing like pulling up in an aventador. It’s an event.

Don’t get me wrong- obviously I love Ferrari but I just consider them different. Not necessarily better.

GT2goneF and Coincid like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My thoughts precisely. All great but different. Variety is the spice of life.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Had a test drive in an 812 today. My thoughts soon.

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Crap. Had a whole long post written out and lost it in the internet. In short, drove the car. It’s brilliant but I dont think it’s for me. It’s very refined and comfortable but a bit too refined. The v12 sound that I was expecting was muted. Not sure if it’s how I drove it or just how the car is.

I think after owning and driving a Pista and 720, the 812 just might be too big and too comfortable for me. I’m starting to like cars that are more raw. Those of you that recommended the TDF- you have my attention. I’m going to try to get some seat time in one of those.

In short a brilliant car but not to my taste at this time in my life. Bummer but glad I experienced it.

GT2goneF, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Interesting that you found it muted as in my experience, the 812 is anything but - in particular compared with turbocharged cars. Mine has race seats and don’t find it significantly more comfortable than the Pista (which is very compliant in my opinion). If anything, I find the Pista to be a more relaxing driving experience. The 812 seems to have quicker steering and a throttle that’s on a hair trigger.

It definitely is a big and heavy car, but then so is the TdF.

GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This illustrates how important it is to drive the car of interest whenever possible. All these super cars are stellar performers but they all have individual driving dynamics and subjective personalities. Taking a poll as to which car to own can narrow one’s choices but it should never be responsible for making that choice.

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I guess for me, growing up Ferrari was THE aspirational car. It’s really the only car I fantasized about. Fast forward, I like almost every brand, and I think each has it’s position and purpose. Still to this day, for reasons that are hard to describe, I look at Ferrari as the premium brand, if not always the premium car. Indeed, I don’t think Ferrari has anything to properly match the STO or 765LT.

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Ultimately I think much of what separates the 812 from what you have right now is, regardless of weight distribution, in the front mid-engine set up, it’s hard to shake the sensation that the car is pulling you versus pushing you. The driving dynamics are just different. I experience the same sensation in my Viper ACR, which is a nicely balanced, much like the 812. The rear mid-engine set up just feels “sportier”.

I am surprised that the raw acceleration of the car didn’t give you the proper tingles. The way it builds speed coupled with the symphony of the high-revving NA V12 is what I enjoy the most.

GT2goneF likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think you nailed it. The Pista, 720, mid engine cars feel more sporty. Very nimble. Like a wide receiver flying an out pattern. The 812 was more of a fast tight end. Heavier- brute force- powerful. I think I like the more nimble feel of the other cars.

in fact I’m now leaning to adding a 3rs back to the garage. Even more nimble, more connected.

don’t get me wrong- the 812 is awesome. Just in a different way and I don’t think I’m ready for a luxury GT cruiser. I’m still in my midlife crisis so I need something a bit more sporty as you described it.

GT2goneF, Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    All interesting points.

I’m in the market for another car and after seeing the 812, not only did it look too big, but to me, driving one would represent a milestone I’m not yet willing to accept - older age.

Years ago I worked for a wealthy pharmaceutical magnate who had a garage full of exotics. As he got older, he sold off the mid engines and purchased a beautiful blue 2000 Maranello 550. I remember thinking at the time it was a car for rich older men who still wanted a Ferrari. It was his last new car.

Crazy reasoning, perhaps. But I do like the supple ride of the F8 (compared to the 458), and it’s still the youthful mid engine car I’ve always wanted, I guess when my time comes, I’ll be an old man driving around in a front engine Ferrari.

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Guess I’m an old man at heart. I’m in my thirties and love my 812 and V12 Vantage. Sold perf and 488. Really don’t find I can take advantage of the sportiness on the roads around where I live and prefer the GT cars since I don’t feel like I can’t enjoy them- V12 sound and comfortable while also being fairly sporty. Have 458 challenge on the way for track time. Truly is a “whatever floats your boat” situation with these cars. Definitely agree the chase is a big part of the fun- figuring out what’s next. It’s great that they are making so many different options these days and competition has cranked up a notch or two.

SVCalifornia, GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  19. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I am sure your wife would love a F12 TDF in this color:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I prefer the cab forward position close to the front axle and the short overhang of the mid-engine. I like the go-kart driving dynamic. I daily my exotics and my dedicated parking garage has narrow entrance/exit that are winding. I've seen other drivers curb their wheels underestimating/overestimating the degree of turn. Driving a mid-engined layout makes negotiation so much easier.

I get the allure of big front-engine V12 and there's room for one to try in my future just not in the present.

SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agree with not necessarily better. Just personal preference.

22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Finally!!!! He's getting a TDF!!!!!! May I remind you that I was one of the first, if not the first to vouch for the TDF!

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    The relative muteness is nothing that a Novitec exhaust won't fix...

24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    The 991.2 GT3RS is my achievable unicorn. But I already had the GT2. I decided to go with the F8 first. GT3RS absolutely a great car to add if you want rawness and connectivity to the surroundings and the road, like an extension of your body.

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Not that crazy logic. However, I am not there yet and I would love to have the 812.

Surfah likes this.