Terminology: Front / Rear Bank vice Right / Left Bank | FerrariChat

Terminology: Front / Rear Bank vice Right / Left Bank

Discussion in '308/328' started by Vinsanity, Dec 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    When talking about the 3x8's engine, does anyone besides me constantly mix-up the front and rear cylinder banks? I mean, I tend to refer to the more accessible rear-facing bank as the "front" bank, and vice-versa. I suppose this bias in understandable, given that most other transverse-V engines in the world are front-mounted, and thus its the rear bank that gives you all the trouble.

Seems to me I could just avoid that problem by substituting "Right" for "Rear" and "Left" for "Front," since that is the way the motor would be oriented if it was longitudinally mounted (unless you put it in backwards, like in a Lamborghini Countach, but let's discount that idea off-hand.) Good idea? Or hopelessly confusing?

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Even better to call them the 1-4 bank and the 5-8 bank IMO. Agree that many times people wrongly call the 1-4 bank the "front bank" (when standing at the back of the car facing the engine).

waymar likes this.
  3. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    You're probably right, but I think that would confuse me even more. I know the shop-manual says the rear bank is 1-4 (Fig 31, in my copy) the cam-cover have the numbers 1-4 cast on both sides. I'm only about 1/8 Italian, and 3/4 German, so I have a hard time getting over that sort of deliberate ambiguity. The clock-wise enumeration they use is kind of weird, but I suppose it makes sense if you think of it as two four-bangers incidentally sharing the same crankshaft but otherwise living completely separate and mirror-image lives . . . Like a couple of roommates who never talk to each other because they work different shifts. Of course, opinions differ; hence the lack of any defining standard amongst purveyors of V-8 machinery.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Odd as it may seem the 1-4 and 5-8 bank terminology is the least ambiguous. If you insist on calling them front and back well, you just need to get it right. If you call them left and right be prepared for a follow-up question for clarification probably about 80% of the time you do.

5. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Well, having labelled everything I disassembled to facilitate an engine out service, I went with the 1-4 / 5-8 terminology, and have subsequently ironed it into my own brain adequately. No more front/back for me!

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I call the "front bank" the one closest to the FRONT of the CAR, and the same reason/term for the rear bank.

I know it's common, but have never understood why people use front/rear or left/right terms based on where they are standing in relation to the car. I mean, you can stand anywhere you like...