F355 Market | Page 172 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I looked this cars photos over. I suspect it was hit in the rear. Towards the driver side possibly. The VIN tag is missing on the driver side door jam also...repainted or blended all the way that forward?

Front windshield has been replaced...chrome trim for some reason used after replacement? Looks kinda dumb. Also, the windshield that's on there right now also had a pretty big chip on it that will lead to a crack eventually I'm sure.

There's some overspray where there shouldn't be as well. The air filter houses look kinda mangled especially for just 22k miles...might be related to a possible rear hit. All in all...a good driver maybe for the right price. I wouldn't buy it expecting a mint car.

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I did not look at the pics but the windshield trim can appear chrome even when OEM. The surface is anodized and susceptible to wear over the years of the elements and or harsh cleaning products. The surface underneath is chrome in appearance.

OCKlasse likes this.
  3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I'm not sure that's the case. The trim is similar to a "black chrome", in some photos it comes across as bright chrome, but it's not. I thought I'd read here the jury is out whether it's replacement or not, as I thought several members here believed their windshields to be original with that trim (my own car, a 95B, included).

carnutdallas likes this.
  4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Also the vin plate is present in the door jam.

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The chrome comes through over time as the anodizing wears thin. My 1995 is similar, and factory original.

carnutdallas, OCKlasse and audi_328 like this.
  6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

MAD828 likes this.
  7. RonHoward

RonHoward Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ron Howard
    You guys are detectives. I'm trying to look at these pictures and come up with any reason it may have been hit. Nothing is really jumping out at me

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I find posts like this really irresponsible. I have a pretty good eye for this stuff and I don't see a single thing on that car suggesting the seller is concealing accident damage. You're basically accusing someone of fraud, but you think faded anodizing is chrome plating. So you actually have no idea what you're talking about. What's going to happen is someone will post this thread in that auction's comments and it could cost the seller thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands. Please do the right thing and delete your comments.

MAD828 likes this.
  9. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Agreed. No need to tear apart every car that isn't concours level. Us owners should encourage new buyers looking to join the club -- the F355 is entering the age where some of them need a bit of restoration and to some that is part of the appeal.

Targatime and MAD828 like this.
  10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Sorry guys. Just pointing out what Im seeing.

The vin plate is there, but the sticker barcode that's usually present by the door strike is not. Suggests to me it was painted on that side.

There is visible over spray in the rear engine compartment in one of the photos, albeit minor.

The left side air intake box looks to be flaking or repaired/repainted poorly.

I'll admit I wasn't aware the window trim deteriorates to a chrome like finish...that's news to me. However, there is a pretty clear and visible dime sized chip in one of the photos as well. Windshields for these aren't cheap from what I recall...so I think it's fair for me to point out for whoever is looking.

Besides that, it's a nice car. It's a driver. At 22-23k miles though I've seen better with twice the miles. That's all I'm saying. If they wanted to sell the car here on fchat I wouldn't be picking it apart...but they chose an auction which can be difficult for buyers to get a PPI or visual inspection done before it's too late.

Let's just say I would buy this car for myself...but I would take all of this into consideration with my max bid.

Ferrari Fanatic likes this.
  11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Also I'm not claiming the seller is hiding anything. I've been digging at 355s for 5+ years now so just stating oddities I've spotted. I would hope any one of you that know more than I do would do the same.

Matt Andrews likes this.
  12. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Guys, I can see both sides of this “argument”. I have to agree with @tres55 on the VIN bar code though. That’s really odd and would trigger me to ask additional questions as well.

There are enough unknowns and surprises for some 355’s owners.

I have owned two 355’s for a total of 18 years. So here is my .02: some cover ups are easy to fix, ie dying seats. Back in 2003 when these cars were only a few years young, most buyers would say, umm your seats have been re dyed. I know so because they now look perfect and I also know this because there is dye on the stitching. So sellers found and used one local guy that could dye the seat without altering the original stitching.

Some people will go to any length to cover something up. The missing bar code is much harder to cover up.

Nobody knows unequivocally if the car has been hit and repainted. But the missing bar code is odd. Perhaps someone with an account could post that question.

tres55 likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I understand covering up mechanical things or accident damage but what's the issue with seats being redyed, or how about a front/rear/ bumper or rocker repaint? How is that different than refinishing sticky parts? If a guy spends the time and money to do these thing correctly, that a plus in my book. What about a car that had a full, bare metal repaint? Where do you draw the line between hiding and restoring? Bottom line is honesty. But do you really need to say, "The driver's seat bolster was redyed"?

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It’s hard enough in today’s market finding a manual Berlinetta. One might have to lower their standards and deal with the issues on his own.

If you really want the car, you’d have to make the effort to go see it in person.

tres55 likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Or buy a much nicer F1

tres55 likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    ... and convert it to manual? :)

17. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Nothing wrong with dying seats.

Well my only point related back to tres55’s comment about the BAR Code sticker missing.

My point was that I agree with Tres55. There is something a bit strange that there is no bar code.
    If the car was repainted someone would need to contact Ferrari and ask for another bar code or recreate one. Neither of which seems as easy to do than redying a bolster. One could replicate a bar code sticker I guess but would they take that chance.

Meaning I personally think he is right that their was some paint work done. Just a personal opinion.

tres55 likes this.
  18. Ferrari Fanatic

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Poor tres55 was labeled as a detective. Well I thought he was a pretty good one.

Anyway, everyone has a different methodology.

It’s all good. These issues probably don’t bother most people ( and frankly cause themselves less stress). Again, all good.

tres55 likes this.
  19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Can't even find an F1 Berlinetta these days! Let alone a nice one. Ha

Skippr1999 likes this.
  20. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Yeah. I was just starting my search when the dark red on speed lines came up for sale. I didn’t call on it. Now I regret that.

21. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I read that said post this morning (uk) and thought mmm. . Every time a post like that gets posted it can sully a possibly good car. As well as mud sticking a fabricated forum story can follow a car around in the ferrari world.
    Then some were down the line some one mentions that the car has possibly been crashed, and the story gets bigger and bigger. We all should know what forums are like, people only read the bits they want and run with it.
    Just my thoughts.

22. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is incoherent. "Everyone has a different methodology"? For doing what? And "it's all good" doesn't make it so, even if you repeat it twice. It's not "all good" if you're selling a Ferrari that someone is claiming on a well-read Ferrari forum has been in a major accident.

FLORIDAsnakeEyes likes this.
  23. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FYI I have listed my very well sorted '95 GTB in the classifieds section. Would love to see it go to another fchatter!

ShineKen, JSinNOLA and Kokose7en like this.
  24. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    If I was gonna buy another yellow 95 355, this would be the one...

chris1866 and tres55 like this.
  25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Agreed 100%

I'm on the hunt for a darker shade of red/blue/green or I would've bought it without hesitation.

chris1866 likes this.