Daytona Spyder with removable hardtop with targa panels! | FerrariChat

Daytona Spyder with removable hardtop with targa panels!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sixcarbs, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Probably old news ot many of you, but a really cool find to me. In my surfing last night I came across this and was really impressed. Wow!

https://www.mariobernardi.de/mario-bernardi/english/cars-for-sale/ferrari/1971-365-gtb-4-daytona-spider-detail/index.html

......this Daytona Spyder had been equipped with an optional stainless
    steel hardtop with two removable targa tops. According to our research there are only three Daytona Spyder existing with an optional hardtop. But this is the one and only with the two removable targa roofs.

Beside the hardtop it has been delivered by the factory as well with the standard softtop frame with its black canvas top.

There are three options to drive it:

First as a normal open spyder version.

Second as a Targa version by leaving the rear part of the stainless steel hardtop.

Third as a closed hardtop version.

Pierre P likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    14365 is the S/N. I know this car very well, it has spent years in Switzerland, with several friends of mine.
    It was only the third owner, Carlo Ferruzzi in Ravenna, Italy, owner of Gruppo Ferruzzi and connected with the Montedison Industrial Group, that had a custom hardtop made for this car., this was done by a small coachbuilder near Milan. Later, in April 1975, the car was sold to the fifth owner, René Herzog, in Zürich, Switzerland. 6 May 1975 it was registered in Switzerland. Herzog loaned this car to be used in the movie "The Swiss Conspiracy" (“Per Saldo Mord”), an international thriller playing in Zurich, Switzerland, released by the Bavaria movie company of Munich, Germany, from a bestseller by Michael Stanley.
    (the other Daytona Spider used in this movie was chassis #15911). In the movie chassis #14365 was using fake Swiss license plates from Geneva “GE 470221”. Starring in the movie directed by Jack Arnold were Senta Berger, David Janssen, John Ireland, John Saxon, Ray Milland, Elke Sommer, Curt Lowens, Anton Diffring, David Hess, Arthur Brauss.
    Herzog sold 14365 in 1978 and there were four more Swiss owners. Later on this car was in Sweden, then Germany, then England and back to Germany. Bernardi got it 14 June 2011.
    14365 is the first production Daytona Spider and the first European version built. The original carpets were black, not brown.
    Original exterior color: Rosso Chiaro 20-R-190.
    Original interior color: Beige Scuro VM 846.
    Chassis type 605.
    Engine type 251, internal #B1084.
    Gearbox type 605, internal #525.
    Connecting rod type 209/140019 Gr. 572.
    Unit #001 of 121 built.
    LHD.
    Instruments in kilometers.
    Assembly sequence #531.

Marcel Massini

Ak Jim, TheMayor, amenasce and 9 others like this.
  3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Thank you!

So not a factory hardtop. Still very cool!

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There is no such thing as a "factory hardtop".

Marcel Massini

sixcarbs likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5 Nembo1777, Jan 3, 2021
    I did not know Rene had owned it, it I stayed at his house towards StGallen twice but long after he had sold it. Met him in Florida many times, he has great tales from his racing years.

Here is the car in the Swiss conspiracy film:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_181811-Ferrari-365-GTS-4-14365-1971.html

Here is the other Daytona Spyder in the film.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_44281-Ferrari-365-GTS-4-15911-1972.html

At one point 8.42 minutes into the film they are in central Zurich by the river, with both cars, entering an historic office building which contains a private bank. I actually had a meeting in there with a German private banker collector once, small world:)

Here is the film itself on Youtube, an enjoyable one to watch.

Bisonte and of2worlds like this.
  6. Pierre P

Pierre P Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    I found these pics a few years ago. It was apparently s/n 14547. Note that, contrary to s/n 14365, the black roof seems to be in one piece and bright.
    I thought these hard tops were made by Pavesi, am I wrong ? Pavesi also made similar parts for the Maserati Ghibli spider.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wow, I knew about that movie. I enjoyed the 47th + minute mark. Thank you for sharing that.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #8 Marcel Massini, Jan 3, 2021
  9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    As a Brit friend would say, "Looks like the dog's dinner".
    IMO.

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    beautifully designed and executed.
    black belly band on silver car factory applied? would that appear on factory data sheets?
    in the early 70’s i saw a new black daytona coupe w a gold belly band. it was spectacular. was at the hollywood bowl concours.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thread edited to remove "factory" from the title for accuracy.

Matt

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As said many times before factory data sheets (a.k.a. build sheets, assembly data sheets, foglio di montaggio) never mention colors. Factory data sheets are about the technical and mechanical configuration only.

Marcel Massini

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    for clarity which factory docs discuss paint color?

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry, but this is wrong forum section for 550 related topics.
    Perhaps mods can move it to appropriate section ?

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Maserati build sheets include paint and interior colors, plus they don't cost an arm and two legs.

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Order confirmation, commercial sheet, list of individual equipment, delivery note, factory invoice.

Marcel Massini

ivo73, Lusso123 and of2worlds like this.
  17. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Is this Daytona a different car that was at Matsuda collection some time ago? I have some pictures of that car with the serial number but can't find it now. Blue with white interior. The car ended up with some dealer in south of France maybe Marseilles and i lost track.

18. Pierre P

Pierre P Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    The car you talk about is the coupe speciale made by pininfarina : sn 12925.
    Hard tops look like its roof, true. But on 12925 nothing can be removed : it is a real 3 volume coupe, not a spider.

V12addict and of2worlds like this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Totally different.
    That blue one is a one-off with S/N 12925. Blu Tourbillon 2.443.607 with a white roof and white leather interior.
    It has a brushed stainless steel roll bar, not a hardtop, with a removable zip-out plastic rear window.
    It is not a Daytona Spider.
    12925 was shown on the Pininfarina stand during the 56th Annual Paris Motor Show 5-15 October 1969.
    I purchased it for the current American owner on 14 August 2010.

Marcel Massini

ivo73, Lusso123, V12addict and 2 others like this.
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I can still recall preventing it to catch fire due to a fuel-rail leak during judging at Pebble, although it was far less scary than similar incident with 0854 after she had been unloaded in preparation for the ‘19 PB Tour.
    I was (only one) standing on the left side when Mr. G. & Co. was attempting to get her started and I suddenly noticed a large swath of liquid (fuel) forming and running from under the left side of the car.
    I quickly stepped into it (small but fast growing pond of fuel) to motion Mr. G. to quit the staring efforts and kill the power (by alternating from waving my hand across my throat and pointing down to the ground I was staing in), but obviously since I wasn’t part of his entourage, he appeared little perplexed inside the cockpit (and couldn’t hear me), but fortunately heeded and I was able to beckon Sal to other side and making him quickly aware of the potentially grave situation, after which he ran to the right side and notified Mr. G. and others.
    I can also recall my biggest concern/worry running through my mind being how do I get him out (of the car) if the fuel ignites.
    Apparently, some fuel fitting or line had come loose during transit, gushing large amounts of fuel once the pumps were activated.
    About an hour later, I was glad to see the car fixed and lined up for the Tour.

P.S. Sorry about veering a bit off topic.

pdxjim488, BJK and of2worlds like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    ???

12925 is not owned by a Mr. G. (at least not in the past 11 years).

Marcel Massini

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    like he said, he was way off topic.

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #23 TTR, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Sorry Marcel,
    My comment was referring to two separate near catastrophe incidents at Pebble.

One involved a fuel rail leak I happened to notice and quickly/quietly “reported” to a gentleman who appeared to have been assigned as a support crew member for 12925(?) during its display and judging on the lawn (I don’t recall which year).
    Upon my notification, this aforementioned gentleman promptly asked the owner (sitting inside the running car while conversing with judges who were inspecting instrument, etc operations) to turn it off, after which he (quietly and inconspicuously) proceeded to remedy said leak that had sprayed (small amounts of) fuel to exhaust and spark plug “valley”.

The other incident, described in more detail in my previous post, involved 0854 in the (early) morning of PB Tour d’Elegance ‘19 right after the car had been unloaded from the transport truck and Mr. G. was in it, attempting to get it started.

Neither of course have anything or much to do with the OP’s topic regarding the Targa top Daytona, hence my earlier apology to veer off topic.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    P.S. Since both incidents occurred while I was taking photos, I probably have some of the said leaks in my files.

25. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    WOW !!!

Connecting rod type too Marcel ?!!!

When does it stop, your wealth of knowledge that is. Simply amazing.

As for the car, the coach work on that top and targa capabilities are simply outstanding and well executed. Bravo to them

I would be honored to be able to see this craftsmanship in person.