Corvettes whilst driving my 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Corvettes whilst driving my 360

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Corvette owners convince themselves they are so much smarter than the Ferrari owners.
    More car for less money. "Lets race so I can prove it to myself".

A friend of mine does custom garage floors and if he shows up for a bid, and there is a Corvette around, he pretty much assumes no sale.
    Corvette owners are typically also cheapskates.

2. mestlick

mestlick Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael Estlick
    When I'm in the Testarossa and someone notices me, I'll give her a little rev, or drop a gear or two and put my foot down, or just beep the ridiculous horn. People just want to see and hear it. I never get an attitude or race anyone, and people really seem to enjoy it. The TR's not going to beat anything off the line. I love seeing and hearing a nice Corvette or Mustang, if they want to rev it or drop the hammer. Same with seeing a Porsche out in the canyons, had some good times trying to keep up.

Driving my BMW is a different experience. People really do get angry at me, people even yell at me some times. And I'm usually just leisurely cruising with the top down, signaling all my turns, totally not driving like a jackass.

I've driven my dad's C3 Corvette a few times. People really love seeing those too, it's like 75% of the attention that the TR gets.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think people generally respond well to older cars...T

Il Co-Pilota and paulchua like this.
  4. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes that is quite true. Whether I'm getting gas in my '71 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet 4 speed (Grabber Green, numbers-matching) or my '85 Mondial QV Cab (Red w/348 wheels, no shields), people will talk to me from the other side of the pump. With the '71 Mach 1 I have had people walk from the far end of the gas station to chat. This is in eastern PA where people generally don't even make eye contact with strangers. The old cars always bring back memories. I had a guy in an older LR Discovery quote me all of the Mondial critical specs while he was getting gas. It sometimes catches me off guard when this occurs.

paulchua and tomc like this.
  5. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I agree and just to clarify my post, the Evo owner had a poor reputation among his group and he was straight up bashing the 911 owner and it was a fellow Evo owner who called him out on it. It doesn't need to be about who has more money when both sides can be respectful and be equal enthusiasts. Unfortunately I've seen the jealous side of people who look down upon anyone that seems to be in a better life situation, some call it reverse snobbery.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like a cool car. Something like this?
    https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-FASTBACK-44796
    T

7. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes that's the one, except mine is the hydraulic lifter 429 Cobra Jet Ram Air, and the one on the BJ site has the solid lifter 429 Super Cobra Jet. 429 CJ was rated at 370 hp and 429 SCJ rated at 375 hp, both underrated. True gross hp is around 400, and it has some mods like upgraded cam, headers, MSD ignition unit. Gross hp is around 450, but a number of the modern musclecars would still win in a stoplight drag situation. I bought it from the Director of Service Engineering at Ford HQ in Dearborn MI (retired last year). He has 50 classic to modern Mustang and Shelby cars in a big warehouse garage with multiple lifts. Ford sends visiting VIP's over to tour his collection.

tomc likes this.
  8. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I usually ask them how much they charge to do lawns.

nicholasn and AD211 like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    True, I’m no kill joy. Friendly runs in unpopulated areas I have no problem with. Issue is I usually see two riced out cars doing the freeway shimmy like a couple of ass hats.

The loser always determined not by the driver with the 'fastest' car or 'skill' - but who was lucky to avoid traffic without getting into an accident.

Husker likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Mondial always gets a bad rap - very unfairly one at that. Ferrari's most underrated model.

11. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Never respond. Don't street race. Don't try to understand it.

KC360 FL, AD211 and Nembo1777 like this.
  12. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Oh yes, I have read that time and time again in the older reviews. What I meant is that he appreciated the car and seemed surprised to see one right on the other side of the gas pump. He knew the engine size, hp, torque, that sort of thing. It seems the Mondial has graduated from the older bad rap. It is after all a longer wheelbase 308 underneath its skin. I don't ever expect it to hit the values of the 308, a perennial classic sports car, but it is certainly a unique car on its own.

paulchua likes this.
  13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    No that honor goes to the Boxer !!!! ;)

Isn't it strange that the owners of any model consider their car to be the most underappreciated ? :D

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, the boxer? That car is a beautiful work of art. I never heard anything bad said about that car.

15. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Meant the Porsche Boxster perhaps?

Solid State, Jakuzzi and paulchua like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They wont do it if I have my Pista or any of my other cars but perhaps they know they can take a 360.

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Driving home yesterday from the tire place in my 430, at least 4 “riced up” BMWs, one at a time, would not leave me alone.

I even hopped into the right lane to avoid one and he switched lanes and came right next to me and downshifted and rev’d multiple times.

These guys were all an accident waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Husker likes this.
  18. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I usually just ask ricers, how much they charge to do lawns.

JP365 and CoreyNJ like this.
  19. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I understand the profiling, but I imagine these racer types might be under 50% of vette owners. As you know, I am a lover of a variety of exotics and musclecars, and to me the performance is the key, no matter the brand.

I do profile the Lambo gold chain crowd as well, but Dryhole definitely doesn't fit that picture.

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- I almost always get a mutual, positive "we're brothers, not foes" acknowledgement wave from Corvettes

21. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I get similar idiotic reactions from all sorts of cars (actually never from a Corvette; good thing because I have one also), and although I am almost always temped to engage them, my better sense tells me not to; why would I have to prove anything, the car speaks for itself.
    But for every maniac reaction I get about 10 thumbs-up, so I take it in stride

sisiay likes this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I am guessing that if you are out and about driving an "old" car, that more or less designates you as an enthusiast, assuming it is not some clapped out hooptie...T

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    my favorite rev up story happened to me back in 1996 I was driving a Nissan 300zxTwin Turbo pretty quick car at the time and had the T-top off was riding with my NEW wife in the passenger seat I did not see the car coming up behind me but I floored it like a bad ass and took off turns out there was a new VIPER next to me had to pull over to clean the dirt off my sun glasses and my wives hair .... needless to say within a few months I had a new Viper ... that was a fast car in the day....still laugh when I think of that he thought I wanted to race ....I lost....

Wikdstrate and mikesufka like this.
  24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yeah we typically are cuz the ferraris and loti eat up most of the car budget.

25. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That was my dream car in high school ( graduated in '92 ) … You should have kept it. What color ( I wanted yellow ) ? Any pics ?

MDS

LARRYH likes this.