Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Nice ride, so this may cause considerable offence... Stanceworks 308 GTBi (Honda K24 Swap)

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    What a bummer it must be to consume yourself with the value of your car and not the reasons for which you own it.

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I'm beginning to think that rather than a train wreck that you can't take your eyes off of this might be more akin to the chainsaw shower murder scene in Scarface. Perhaps it's best if we all avert our gaze from Mr Burrough's project..

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    For me, one of the things I love about my 308 is the flat-plane crankshaft V8 engine. The sound is fantastic. The 308 is a whole package for me: beautiful body and lovely mechanicals (… and eccentric Italian-race-car-driver ergonomics). It surprises me that anyone would not like that engine.

The car is NOT slow. The car has a claimed top speed of 156 mph. I have kept up with the best of the modern Ferrari’s on tight winding roads. Great drivers in modern Ferrari’s would spank my bottom, but the usual motely crew just drives average.

I completely support the idea that they are our cars to do what we want with them. There is lots of room in the car hobby for all of us. There are a great many heavily modified 308s, many shown here. As long as there is one factory-stock 308 in this world (and there are several in museums) we will not forget what they looked like. All the rest can wither way (in fact, I have heard it said that Ted Rutlands, a automotive recycler, once used to stroll the concours fields looking for cars he could buy and strip for parts).

I don’t see what you are doing as being that radical. You don’t like the Ferrari V8? It is good that you are changing it. It certainly is not without precedent. There is a whole book on “Bowtie” Ferraris which are 1960s Ferraris with a Chevy engine replacement to make them competitive again. At 2018 Quail, my 308 was placed 3 cars down from David Lee’s million-dollar fire breathing Dino 246 with the “F40” V8 engine and extensive modifications everywhere. It is a Frankenstein monster but everyone loved it. I would love to own one.

dhalter, kcabpilot and M.Burroughs like this.
  4. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    There's no chance my plans cause anything short of massive disappointment in the aesthetics department around here. I think looking away is the best bet for the faint of heart.

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    LoL not just around here, you’re starting with what you admit is one of the most beautiful designs ever conceived. All you can possibly do is *uck it up.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Similar to consuming yourself with how fast you can make it go ?;)

7. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    There is a section called "Special Projects & Concept Cars" on this site where they discuss Ferrari bodied kit cars and chop projects similar to this one, this thread needs to be moved there.

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Meh, let him have his fun. That's part of YouTube, no one wants to see more engine swaps in an S2000 but you'll get more traffic if you cut up a Ferrari. It's his channel, money and time so he can do as he pleases IMO. Just be glad he didn't get his hands on a 250 GTO ;)

Who knows, maybe he will do something unique? Usually all these projects end up looking the same to me. I call it the "Kyza effect". :) Here's to hoping I'm surprised!

9. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I get, and to a lesser degree, share your frustration at the choice of a car that deserved to remain stock, hence why I started this thread.
    But describing the K series Honda motor as a “10-a-penny silly Japanese engine” does a great disservice to a very fine piece of automotive engineering.

As I stated previously, I’m not keen on the idea of a big turbo K series (each to their own) but a K24 motor bored and stroked to 2.5 or 2.7 and build to rev to 9,000rpm whilst producing 360-400 streetable horsepower in a well though out and upgraded 308 chassis, would make for a potent and quick road car.

The K series and its older stablemate, the B series engine, quite frankly make anything pre 360 Modena N/A Ferrari V8 look positively asthmatic (and yes, I do include the 355 5 valve motor in that summation)

Let us not forget, Honda's F20C (S2000) engine held the record for producing the highest specific power output for any mass production naturally aspirated piston engine, at 123.5 HP/L, until Ferrari began production of the 458 Italia in 2010, which produced 124.5 HP/L...

The F20C also won International engine of the year 4 years on the trot.

The VTEC system pioneered by Honda is like all good engineering solutions, wonderfully simple, and accordingly is durable and massively reliable.

I understand your berating the modification to what looks to be a very nice example of a 308 in a rare (ish)
    colour combination, but you rather debase your post by referring to the K series Honda motor as a “10-a-penny silly Japanese engine”.

My 2 cents ...

ants2au and M.Burroughs like this.
  10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Delete the word "silly" from that sentence then.....(but then consider it applied to the entire concept at hand ;) )

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Many motorcycle engines produce in excess of 200 hp/L.

12. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Indeed, but we’re talking car engines, so I’m afraid your point is of little relevance in the context we’re discussing.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the electric power you should include is power steering. it will really help with more HP, and handling. lots more power and slow steering ... not fun. I agree weight is an issue, but considering the GTO and Carma 308gt4's had 400HP or more the chassis can handle it ... its the supporting systems that need beefed up.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree. The 250 SWB would not be considered fast by today's standards, but I bet everyone would like one! or a 275gtb or a GTO. the thing is that when the car was made - all of those named and the 308's they were really fast for their day, and they had the equivalent handling of the day. that is what you buy them for. ... if you buy a 308 to race a new Porsche... its not quite going to work. your ego will be hit hard. but there is no denying the Iconic status of the 308 look, image and silouette. as a car its flawed, as an icon its incomparable. as art it's beautiful - especially gtb's ... and as an engineering exercise its amazing given its day and age. If I could I'd buy back my 328 in a heart beat... its a fun and totally engaging car to drive.

15. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    From mint, original and full history to time attack car with Honda K24 Turbo

Rest of the build is here.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  17. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    That's a great suggestion, and something I've been loosely looking into. I think the downforce the car will generate, as well as the massively increased front tire width it will have down the road will make for a need for power steering.

18. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Oh yes, didn't find that with search. Please remove/merge it to said topic.

19. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Hello mr Burroughs.
    On what level of time attack are you planning to build your car? Knowing that top level cars seem to be pushing well over 1000hp and aero that make biplanes look wingless, it will need some serious changes (looking local R8 1:1).
    Will you be keeping it 2.4, staying stock cylinder or Darton sleeves?
    Electric waterpump, powersteering, oil pump for dry sump, lots of places where you can save on parasite power consumers.
    Did you think about building it's own engine? 288/F40 have proven that it can be taken quite far.
    Being so heavy and needing wing for downforce I guess there wont be much left from original body.
    Cheers

20. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I'll be running in the Limited class. I don't anticipate the car will be wildly competitive in its first year, but we'll get there. I do expect the car to make the desired horsepower levels to be competitive, though.
    I'll be staying at 2.4 liters, but the block will indeed be sleeved.

21. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The K24 Honda engine, even naturally aspirated with ITBs can be pumped to 400-500bhp. They are impressive engines, and plentiful. The issue will be, who wants a Ferrari with a Honda engine? Anything can be made to go fast, but that's not really what road Ferrari's are about.

22. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I don't disagree. Thankfully, I'm not worried about who wants it, as I'm not building it for anyone else. I'm not caught up in the resale value of the car because that doesn't matter to me.

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As suggested earlier this should actually be moved to the "Special Projects & Concept Cars" section because the intent here is not to "build" a 308 but rather to plagiarizer the image for a specialized track/numbers car. He's using the 308 shell to stoke Ferrari hate and garner YouTube revenue, he has zero respect for the brand and he's a hack. Sorry for the harsh revue Burroughs but I've viewed your channel and I'm not impressed. Too many selfies and not much meaningful content. Maybe you'll get better at it but if this project were serious you'd have picked a Lotus Esprit. You'd already have been 90% to where you claim you want to be. Good luck in your quest to ruin a perfectly good GTB.

24. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    I'm having fun. I wish you would too.

25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Mike: I don’t think you know us very well. Paul
    (kcabpilot) certainly does what he wishes with his car.

I hear the same tone in your videos. Somehow you claim to enjoy making others angry at you. Very odd.