812 Superfast - Bumper replacement.. | FerrariChat

812 Superfast - Bumper replacement..

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by EmmKaayy, Jan 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    I destroyed my front bumper and right headlight because for some reason I decided to be a crazy person and remove traction control during heavy rain. I thought I'd play around a bit and see how it would skid!!
    I was maybe going 10 mph. I doubt it was even in 2nd gear, crashed into a concrete wall. Painful experience!

The good people at the only dealership accessible to me want to charge me 15 thousand usd for the parts, when I can actually get them shipped to me for about 9k. Problem is that the dealership won't do the work on a part that they did not provide.

Is that normal?! I didn't want to email Ferrari and make an issue by asking. Especially if this is the norm.

What do you guys think?

Also, if someone has first hand experience with bumper and headlight replacement on an 812 (or similarly designed models), then pleeease do let me know your thoughts!

I have good contacts in a couple of good workshops. Only of course they've never worked before on an 812 (or even any Ferrari).

Haven't been able to find anything at all on Youtube. So I have no clue whether this replacement job is easy or super complicated.

2. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Though I’ve never tried with my Ferrari, most shops be it dealer or indy will not use customer supplied parts. Real Life Exotics on YouTube would probably be your best bet to find a removal/install, though I wouldn’t touch a car from them with a 50 foot pole. A local body shop may be ok with you bringing your own bumper. I would think you could tell them you already have the part and perhaps they would agree to paint/install it??

EmmKaayy likes this.
  3. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal

Well, if most places are like that, then of course Ferrari would be even a bit more so.

I get your suggestion (thanks). That is what I was asking about. The shops I would trust, actually all shops here, have more than likely never seen an 812 before. So I started wondering how difficult of a challenge it would be for a technician unfamiliar with the mechanisms to work on it.

4. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Being there your location is Egypt perhaps things may be a bit different when it comes to supplying ones own parts. The US is very a litigious country which I think plays a part in not being able to supply your own parts.

I would be of the opinion that though your 812 is a very special car; it is just a car, held together with fasteners, body clips etc just like any other car. Sure there may be some subtleties to your Ferrari but a competent shop should be able to handle those nuances. I’d be more worried about blending the paint, especially if you have a metallic paint rather than fitting the part itself. I know on some cars things like front cameras and proximity sensors need to be calibrated, you may need to involve the dealer for those calibrations should your car require any of those components replaced. But that’s just speculation on my part. My pickup truck needs adjustments on its proximity sensors, I doubt my 488 wouldn’t also.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Common practice for shops to not install parts they don't provide. However, I am sure you can find a body shop that is capable of handling the repair and work with them. They will be more receptive of the parts supplied I imagine.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  6. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    Yes I've been getting similar advice from a number of people. Thankfully, my Grigio Silverstone color seems easy to find on parts.

020147 likes this.
  7. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal

You're right. That is the option I prefer most. And I've found a shop that has a good reputation, and is ready to do the job.

Ferrari Tech likes this.