Scuderia Gold Wheels - Paint or Powder Coat? | FerrariChat

Scuderia Gold Wheels - Paint or Powder Coat?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MikeMonty, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Was on a Scud hunt for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. Spec was what I wanted minus the gold wheels. I want to convert my factory silver wheels to gold. I have been searching and heard that the gold factory wheels are Ferrari 138364 / 430 ORO Effect. Do you know if the factory gold wheels were painted or powder coated from the factory? Trying to match factory wheels so want to know whether paint or powder coat is the best option. Thanks!

Mike

LARRYH likes this.
  2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Painted to save weight.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Skidkid likes this.
  4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Really? Most wheels are powder coated from the factory (the F430 wheels or Challenge Stradale style wheels for example).

Powder coat cures at max 240 degrees C. The melting point of average grade aluminium is 600+ degrees C.

The upper operating range of track car or racing car discs is 400-600 degrees C, and obviously they are close enough to the wheels to get a good amount of heat into them.

5. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Honestly. Can't go wrong with either.

If the wheel is prepped properly with paint, it's just as strong as powdercoat. Some people like to say the Powder is better. There's no worry at all in regards to heating up the wheel for the powdercoat to cure.

If you need an exact paint code or color code, then Paint. Otherwise, I tend to choose Powdercoating, as long as it's available.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where did you find that Stradale wheels (or even F430 wheels) are powder coated at the factory? Because they are not. Back in 2004 (Challenge Stradale) BBS was still painting wheels. Seeing a paint code for wheel colors does confirm that. Powder coat has a much more limited color spectrum.

Lastly I certainly have not implied that you will melt the aluminum. However basic metallurgy can confirm that heating the wheel (like when powder coated) can effect the make-up of an aluminum wheel. Like I said - just read into that before you plunge into it. My store works with over 5000 wheels a year. It is actually for real.

Skidkid likes this.
  7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael

The concern involves the curing or baking of the coating, which continues the annealing / aging process of the forged aluminum wheel and can actually weaken it. The three stages of the annealing process that proceed as the temperature of the material is increased are: recovery, recrystallization, and grain growth.

Here are some theories on repair of aluminum, which we do a lot of at my place.

Heat sensitivity considerations

Often, the metal's sensitivity to heat must also be considered. Even a relatively routine workshop procedure involving heating is complicated by the fact that aluminium, unlike steel, will melt without first glowing red. Forming operations where a blow torch is used therefore require some expertise, because no visual signs reveal how close the material is to melting.

Aluminium also is subject to internal stresses and strains when it is overheated; the tendency of the metal to "creep" under these stresses tends to result in delayed distortions. For example, the warping or cracking of overheated aluminium automobile cylinder heads is commonly observed, sometimes years later, as is the tendency of welded aluminium bicycle frames to gradually twist out of alignment from the stresses of the welding process. Thus, the aerospace industry avoids heat altogether by joining parts with adhesives or mechanical fasteners. Adhesive bonding was used in some bicycle frames in the 1970s, with unfortunate results when the aluminium tubing corroded slightly, loosening the adhesive and collapsing the frame.

Stresses in overheated aluminium can be relieved by heat-treating the parts in an oven and gradually cooling it—in effect annealing the stresses. Yet these parts may still become distorted, so that heat-treating of welded bicycle frames, for instance, can result in a significant fraction becoming misaligned. If the misalignment is not too severe, the cooled parts may be bent into alignment. Of course, if the frame is properly designed for rigidity (see above), that bending will require enormous force.

Ray Smith and Flea7 like this.
  8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lastly here is a powder coated wheel that we fixed at my place just last week.

Car is running the new style Hoosier and as soon as we mounted up a set and did some laps this was the result.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So we had to fix it

Again. All I am saying is to read up about it. There are too many variables for a random powder coater to have to meet. What you believe in your layman's perspective is fine but here above are real examples when the process does not go as planned.

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    my $0.02 is ....I NEVER powercoat forged wheels due to what Michael has explained.

Skidkid and Michael B like this.
  10. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the feedback. I had heard about the potential issue with powder coating but like here you have some people say heating is a problem, others saying it isn't. I decided to go with painting because I want to try to match the factory color gold wheel option on Scuds. From what I have read correct paint match from factory is FERRARI 138364 / 430 ORO EFFECT. Can anyone confirm this is the correct paint gold that matches the factory Scud gold wheel option? Thanks!

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good choice. I am not generally a gold wheel fan but post up the pics when you get them done.

Honestly, you are wasting your breath on this one. I have explained it so many times I am exhausted. Many here have their anecdotal evidence and heck if they will let metallurgy or actual science sway their opinion. Is it possible to do well, sure but most shops don't know what is needed nor do they have the equipment required to do it correctly.

Flea7 and Michael B like this.
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    what color is the car I have started to become a fan of the gold wheels on some cars and the SCUD is one ....congratulations on getting the car...lots of fun...

plastique999 likes this.
  13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    all very interesting thks

14. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
  15. IcedAmericano

IcedAmericano Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2013
    SoCal.
    Wondering if you happened upon the paint code # for the "silver-grey" wheel finish back during your search?

16. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, my car came with factory silver wheels so I was looking for the paint code for the gold wheels.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I’m not sure the scuderia came with silver wheels. Either gun metal or optional gold color. I personally haven’t seen a scud with silver color wheels.

18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    FYI: Poking around the internet for old articles back in 08 when the Scud was released I did see one or two pics with silver wheels.

19. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine might be gun metal, was using silver as a generic color name.