Ferrari 458 Steering tightness problem | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 Steering tightness problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kingston5000, Jan 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kingston5000

kingston5000 Rookie

Jan 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kingston Han
    #1 kingston5000, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Has anyone here have had any problems regarding the steering tightness of the 458. I have changed a new pump, rack, steering oil but during the recent change of a new steering rack, the problem just became bigger. They told me to drive for a little bit more and it'll become better. Super stressed out.

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I haven't had that issue. I would think that the electronics may be involved here. I am guessing. I will be following this one.
    I had a Corvette race car that had that issue and it was a pressure relief valve issue. I would have to study up on the system to come up with more.

kingston5000 likes this.
  3. kingston5000

kingston5000 Rookie

Jan 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kingston Han

Just had the car taken to another mechanic and they are saying its the steering pump which i had replaced new 1 month ago. They said the problem would be 100% be resolved guaranteed( so my guess is that i got ripped off from that old ''new'' steering pump''.

Hopefully after this new pump, steering would go to normal. Thanks for the insight really appreciate it will update you once its been changed ! Have a good one. :)

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  4. omulec

omulec Rookie

Nov 26, 2008
    If the issue was the power steering pump, during replacement procedure it's a must to clean all the pipes. If the old one was warn, and the new one failed the same way, there may be metal particles in the circuit.

kingston5000 likes this.
  5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There are a number of bulletins on the PS for these. The biggest issue is the pumps send brass through the whole system and if it is not completely flushed and cleaned it will simply happen again. Early cars likely had Spirax fluid later cars had Pentosin. System should be completely flushed and then run with pentosin. Ensure they are installing a new fluid reservoir as the reservoir has a filter in it.

kingston5000 likes this.
  6. kingston5000

kingston5000 Rookie

Jan 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kingston Han
    The car is in the shop now and they are saying that the guys who installed the steering pump for me did not do correctly which im guessing the whole problem was due to the replacement procedure poorly done just like you said. I'm getting a new pump plus a new rack now which they said would 100% solve this issue. Thank you :)

7. kingston5000

kingston5000 Rookie

Jan 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kingston Han
    We found out the issue and it was the installation procedure not done correctly. The last mechanic even put steering oil that was meant for a Toyota which even made things worst. I guess its a lesson learnt for me not to be cheap and take the car to a proper mechanic next time as now I have to get another new pump and another new rack :D Thank you. :)