Why Mercedes is keeping Bottas | FerrariChat

Why Mercedes is keeping Bottas

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Valtteri Bottas will not look to emulate Nico Rosberg’s tactics as he seeks to beat Lewis Hamilton to the 2021 Formula 1 world championship.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/01/15/bottas-im-not-a-nico-rosberg/

“However, looking ahead to the new campaign, Bottas said that he would continue to work in the best interests of the team rather than solely focusing on beating the seven-time world champion, who is yet to agree to a new contract.”

This explains why Mercedes is keeping Bottas and do not wish to replace him with Russell. Bottas is a team player. Sorry for the detractors who would like the Mercedes team to tear itself apart with Russell coming to challenge strongly Hamilton.

The fact is that Mercedes is in F1 to get results, not to entertain.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They do both results and entertain. Good results count and can entertain. Its not their fault they are good. I find the others lacking to challenge them consistently. I will never fault Mercedes for winning. Same with MS era at Ferrari. Winning as a focus with intent and organization to facilitate that.

cairns, Terra, ricksb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Few Factors:

- Doesn't challenge Hamilton
    - Literally follows all orders and instructions
    - Probably cheap
    - Merc are so dominant, they don't need a powerful second driver to help them for the constructors title

Hawkeye, nsxrebel, stavura and 5 others like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Most people watch F1 on Sundays to often enjoy themselves and forget the boring company of their family. I doubt very much that Mercedes will improve its image by letting a duo of drivers monopolize the first places without any fight between them.

5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Nothing new here.

It's been stage managed for Lewis not to have any competition.

He was throwing tantrums in 2016 and needs cotton wool.

Poor little Princess :D

nsxrebel, stavura, Beau365 and 3 others like this.
  6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Bottas is a good team player, and play well the cards he has been dealt with.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So here we go again ,Bottas will come out as the Mk 4 new improved version be a bit bolshy to start the season,after weeks of therapy with his mind coach, then somehow mess up and lose the momentum yet again .

To beat Lewis you have to race a bit dirty now and then,push the rules to the limit maybe step over the boundary of fairness and team orders. Of course Lewis usually drives fair etc but if seriously challenged he can give as good as he takes or even more.

Being fast is not enough to beat Lewis ,it doesn't work .Mr nice guy comes second, all the truly great drivers have a killer instinct, they would do anything to win.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 I would like a seat at Mercedes to experience such a machine. He has wins. He drives in F 1. Such a sad life lol :)

ricksb and william like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's better being Number 2 at Mercedes than Number One in a lot of teams I could mention.

A driver can have a wonderful career by having a supportive rule in the best team of the moment.

That's what a lot of people cannot understand.

Look at Coulthard, Barichello, Irvine, Massa, etc ...

cairns and E60 M5 like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Everyone understands.

Everyone is frustrated by complete and utter one sided dominance.
    Absolutely right.

stavura, Beau365, Remy Zero and 3 others like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I am not frustrated, and you don't speak for everyone.

Remember that.

cairns likes this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    All drivers who reach this level of competition dream of becoming world champion.
    They are all convinced that they are the best.
    What Bottas is going through is a huge narcissistic wound.
    It is totally inaccurate to say that he can thrive in this situation.
    This sport is based on the uncertainty that generates emotion itself.
    Saying that watching a team winning more than 80 percent of the races every year is not boring is absolutely false.

nsxrebel, Beau365 and greg328 like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Everyone is a figure of speech. I forget, you take everything literally.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    At Mercedes he's always had one season contracts, that shows that even as a number two they don't rate him too highly. Or maybe it's just that Toto is a son of a ***** and the only method he knows to keep the loyalty is with extortion.

Some may say that "well, it's better to be number two at Mercedes". Maybe. But I've read that someone made a study about olympic athletes and they noticed that those who got a bronze medal are more satisfied than the ones who got silver: it's because "getting close but not there" is somewhat frustrating. Add that to the humilliating one year deals, the constant pit calls, that Russell beating him at the first try, knowing that everybody in the paddock "knows it"... and I'd willing to bet that right now Bottas is not a happy man.

nsxrebel, stavura, Beau365 and 2 others like this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lewis is teh person able to get strings of WDCs with Merc,
    Bottas is capable of bringing in enough points to cement WCC (where the money is)::

If Mercedes dropped Bottas (like I predict they will) Lewis will only put up with Russel for 1 or 2 years.
    Which might not be the WORST thing MERC has done (looking forward.)

sammysaber likes this.
  16. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I think the number two position at Mercedes feels like a bronze medal to Bottas. He is not really competing for the title, so all the wins and poles he can bag now are his 'better than nothing' bronze medals.

william likes this.
  17. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    In short he's happy to take the money and finish 2nd whilst Merc pretend Hamilton is a legend despite Russell jumping into his car and proving just how much better it is than the rest. At this point Maldonado would dominate in this car.

Pairing somebody who would race with Hamilton would destroy the legacy that him and Mercedes hope to cash in on for many years.

nsxrebel, stavura, ingegnere and 3 others like this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    These are the best results he can get, that's for sure. But maybe results are not everything in this life. Do you remember when he said, in those rare ocasions when he won a race, "for those who doubted, **** you"? Those are the words of someone who knows that people laughs at him when he's out of the room.

The problem is that probably it's too late for him if he wants to find something decent outside of Mercedes.

william and sammysaber like this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's better getting bronze medals as Number 2 to Hamilton at Mercedes, than being driving for a lot of teams.

Probably Bottas is realistic about his chances to do better. He must know that he isn't a top driver.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    World titles have been lost by pairing 2 top drivers in the same team.

cairns likes this.
  21. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Doesn't even need a 'top' driver as Russell proved. An average driver who will actually race would give Hamilton problems in an equal Merc.

nsxrebel, stavura, Beau365 and 2 others like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Would Mercedes benefit from it? I don't think so.

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Given that they are giving the hard sell on Hamilton being one of the greats I very much doubt they would ever put an actual racer in the other car who would quickly disprove it.

stavura, Beau365 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Since for commecial reasons Mercedes want to build Hamilton as an historical figure, they would be mad to spoil the show.

I can perfectly inderstand that, but the Hamilton detractors won't have it.

25. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why wouldn't they keep him? There is team harmony. They are successful almost beyond measure. And Bottas is a very good driver.

The surprise would be if they chose not to keep him for 2021

william likes this.