348 - Any suggestions on removing the felt panel in the trunk? | FerrariChat

348 Any suggestions on removing the felt panel in the trunk?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Huskymaniac, Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am trying to get to that elusive climate control fuse. Some stuff I read said you need to remove the rubber seal around the trunk but I am loathe to do that. I was hoping it was just some screws and wiggle it out.

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Afraid not. The seal just clamps in place on the metal flange, it'll take some wiggling, but it comes right off.

Remove the whole band, it exposes the edge of the trunk felt.
    There's lots of screws, and a bit of magic up in front.

PM me if you want pics. Mine is still sitting in my garage.

sjd

3. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #3 Huskymaniac, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    I was able to get enough of the felt cover off to see what I am up against. First, there are a ton of old audio wires in there. Not sure how hard it will be to get them out through the hole in the firewall.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Next odd thing I found was what appeared to be a loose fuse holder with nothing in it. However, just sitting randomly inside there was a loose 10A fuse. Because, you know, you want loose fuses to bounce around an area where there are a ton of electrical connections. So, can anyone tell me what this is for and if the 10A fuse belongs in it?

Now to the issue at hand. Is this the problematic fuse holder?

Now for the fun part. Apparently, the solution was to replace the 30A fuse with a 40A fuse which is now bonded into this holder! I hope to god the whole system isn't fried because of this! It IS supposed to be 30A, right?

Assuming I need to re-do this holder, can someone tell me what I need to do to get the connector off the relay? I can's seem to pull it off and I don't want to go all gorilla on it.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    You may be able to apply heat from a heat gun on the plastic of the plug to prevent it cracking as you apply force to it.

The purple wiring on that odd looking fuseholder doesn't look standard. However, there should be an empty fuseholder attached to the "diodes box" for the ABS system. A 10 amp fuse should be inserted into the empty holder to initiate a self test of the system. The "diodes box" is that "relay" with the white circular sticker on it. The 10 amp fuse holder on the diodes box should have orange and black wires.

If your wiring is melting, are you sure you want to put a bigger fuse in there without doing some further faultfinding steps. 30 amps is correct for the aircon.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You may find this YouTube F348 ABS video series interesting

6. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I do not! Some prior owner swapped in the 40A fuse. I don't think I could get that thing out if I tried. Thanks for the answer on the empty fuse holder. I think you are correct that it used to be attached.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, misread your sentence.

As the video suggests, a bullet type fuse holder is the best for this application.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    It's been a few years since I had to replace the AC fuse but I think if you look at the second picture posted above it is the 30 amp fuse on the right end in the row. My fuse didn't have a cap like the op shows with the 40 amp fuse in it. Hope this helps.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No, Joe, all the fuses attached to those relays are associated with the ABS. Check the video. I believe the AC fuse is normally mounted to the side of the evaporator unit/fresh air inlet, not to the metal plate next to the ABS relays.

10. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    On the wiring diagram it looks like the wires are labeled with a number and a letter. Does the number correspond to the wire diameter in mm or maybe the coated wire diameter in mm? Or do you have a suggested bullet holder appropriate for these wires?

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The number represents the core (conductor) cross-sectional area in mm^2. You can find converters to convert this to wire gauge. It is about 11 gauge (AWG)

Maybe some of the forum experts can chime in on a suitable holder.

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Had similar on my 348 and the fuse came out with a bit of wiggling, but as you say you don’t want to be a gorilla with it and break things.

The odd looking fuse holder I’d suggest is not standard and at a guess has something to do with your stereo wiring. Chase it through and is there an amp/cd stacker etc in the boot somewhere? I just took 4 of those connectors out of my 355 along with a load of stereo black boxes and amp and miles of wiring. I had the dash out, all of the boot trim and tyre off to get to the battery. Fairly easy job then!!!!

Once you get into it, it seems fairly obvious what is standard and what is not; and at that age the black cloth material used to wrap the wiring looms will leave a lovely mess on your hands and be a dead giveaway as to what is original or not!!

13. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I eventually came to the same conclusion. It looks like it came pigtailed with 10 gauge wire. It is not high quality as it also got a little melt. Fuse is bonded in there and it is the connector terminal that goes to the fuse that is also stuck on the relay. That wire is pretty frayed too.

Any idea if that is a standard connector on the relay. Might be a good idea to replace the whole connector.

14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    As Ian corrected me above, that AC fuse is attached to the side of the two green relays on the airbox. It has been a long time since I was in there to replace mine and this gave me an excuse to go back in and check today. I bought the below replacement but never got around to doing it until now. Interestingly, the fuse I replaced the blown one with 8 years ago when I bought the car still looks fine. I have retained that melted green fuse in the car at purchase because I call it my 5k fuse because that is how much I was able to negotiate below ask at purchase because of it.

Attached Files:

• fuse.jpg
      fuse.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
    Qavion likes this.
  15. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just a short note on the trunk liner. I have learned that any work on electrical, hydraulic etc requires complete removal of the upper trunk liner. Attempting to just "bend" or pull up an edge will damage the hard backing of the liner. It is made out of a brittle composite and doesn't bend much before breaking......

Qavion likes this.
  16. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    On the relay connector, is it supposed to just pull off or are there tabs to push in?

17. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Another alternative is to replace teh fuse with a breaker so if it does trip you can just depress the little red button back down to reset it. Really handy with the relays being in such an awkward place.

Attached Files:

18. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I honestly can’t remember, sorry. A bit of digging on here will undoubtedly reveal some pictures that will hopefully help.

19. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Because of this thread I finally got around to doing mine this AM. To remove the fuse connector remove the green relay top nut next to it and then you can pull it up and on the bottom of the fuse connector is a hook that you pull out and then slide the connector up and off the relay connector. When you get that relay off and upside down it will make sense. Glad that job is done.

20. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Below is the fuse connector. Bend that hook on the left with a needle nose pliers and slide it up. No need to remove the relay from its connector.

Qavion likes this.
  21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice work