Engine control system failure 488 | FerrariChat

Engine control system failure 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Wangotango123, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    2018 488 delivered 3 weeks ago and has been in the garage since then ran it about 10 miles 2 miles at a time lol .
    Only alert I had was overdue for service which I have been waiting on dealer.

Plugged in the charger just to plug it in and when I went to start it two days later got the
    Engine control system failure alert go to dealer.

Limited info online . Anyone have any experience? Suggestions so when I’m at dealer tomorrow I ain’t lubed up for anything.

Ivinsea likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Is this persistent? when the car is not used much there are a lot of insignificant transitory alarms that may appear and vanish (the wonders of electronics...)

3. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    It has been on the last 3 times. Needed to move the car out of the garage . Since it’s past service I haven’t really driven it

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Probably needs a new battery. Quite common for the OEM battery to fail.

tomc likes this.
  5. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    Connected the tender just now and it was at a 3 level. When I connected it originally it may have not been on correctly because it didn’t read a level on the charger . I wiped the magnet now and it’s at a 3 and flashing. It’s a ctek.

6. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    95% likely to need a new battery, so no reason to stress yet.

Ivinsea and tomc like this.
  7. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
  8. Retail

Retail Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Eastern US
    Full Name:
    Retail
    Happened to me on my 488, went to dealer several times, including battery change, before final fix was changing the spark plugs.

9. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    It may be that you don't need a new battery but sensor errors are common when the battery charge is low so almost certainly the battery is to blame. Low voltage through the sensors make them go haywire. The car should be on the tender at ALL times (except when driving) and you need to drive it longer distances. In 2 miles, she won't even warm up and there is almost zero chance the alternator has enough time to charge the battery more than the energy it took to start it up for the drive. I would charge it, properly drive it, and I bet the warnings go away. If not, change the battery but you might save yourself $1000 but trying the above.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like bad battery. Do you know if it's the original? If so, it's likely done in. Batteries are not a strong suit with Ferrari. How long does it take to charge when you plug it in after a drive? My Cali takes an hour to go green, and that's after leaving it unplugged for an hour to cool down after a drive...T

Ivinsea likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My take is the Ferrari electronics are great but need good voltage.

First mistake you bought the car without the service done. Not many people look at the service manual when buying a car :(. If you dis it would have showed when it was due.

99.99999% its the battery. IF you are lucky to start it take it to Ferrari and demand a new battery at their cost. But be nice about it. They should do it.

Next GO OUT AND BUY A STARTER. You will need it for sure 100% one day.

Viva the 488 GTB great car but lousy on charging batteries unless you drive very often.

Don't panic because I'm sure that error will disappear when started again.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Also the charger is not a real charger but a conditioner. If the battery is toast it will not do much. You can have all the lights on and still not start.

13. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Is the engine management light on?

Either way its registered a fault in the ECU and could be just simple as an scan all the modules and reset due to low voltage etc,,,

Or there's a hard fault that's being picked up

Again either way needs to go onto any decent diagnostic machine/scanner and take it from there

If car seems to start and run fine don't panic for now lol

Let us know how you get on

All the best

p.s get the battery tested before folking out for a new one

14. TheGaucho

TheGaucho Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    SergeFurRE
    It's my understand that other common causes, beside a bad battery, could be a bad oxygen sensor, a bad valve sensor, bad gas, or a bad seal after you pumped gas.

Ivinsea and tomc like this.
  15. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Which charger are you referring to being more of a conditioner?

I have the 1x LED Ferrari (came with 812), which I'm told is the new style and a CTEK MXS 5.0, which is 7-stage. Later can also be Ferrari branded, along with an older lesser CTEK model.

What is the story?

16. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    Charges over night made it to the green light level 5 but alert still going off.
    Dropped off at dealer for service and got the best news ever. Original owner extended the warranty till 8/ 2022. Happy as **** now.
    Dealer never mentioned it or the fact the car was wrapped so two add ons that are worth some coin I had no idea about.
    I’ll report what dealer finds

MANDALAY and tomc like this.
  17. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    What i can't understand how people can claim it could be this could be that etc etc (not having a go at you Serge just saying along with other replies on these kinda issues)

It clearly say's visit workshop am pretty certain there are errors logged in one of the Control Module's mainly the Engine ECU's so until it is read on a machine can't really say what it is and i certainly won't be going throw money on parts mainly a battery etc until i know what the exact issue was

Luckily this is under warranty

Also as above replies if you guys are saying batteries are common to go then **** cars (yes i will use a strong word) as its only 2-3 years old and the price your paying for a Premium Brand car then and mainly the price for a replacement battery if purchased from Ferrari i'd certainly wont be happy if a brand new battery can't at least last 2 years regardless of it being on trickle charge or not!!!

Same for the oxygen sensors or whatever other sensors are being mentioned if they can't last 2-3 years from brand new then i don't what Ferrari are playing at lol

As said i doubt for this age of the car the battery will be toast but you won't know for sure unless you get it load tested which can be done easily

Hopefully for the OP it'll just be a matter of a simple reset and if not whatever it is he'll be covered under warranty but do let us know on the update please as am very intrigued to know as i've seen a few posts here on the forum for the similar fault

Thanks

p.s Wangotango123 did you drive it to the dealership did the engine light come on or just said Visit Workshop?

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    From what I have been told Ferrari has rolled out new conditioners , They are not chargers

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Do check to see if it is FULL factory warrantee or power warrantee, they are different.

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Do you own a 488 GTB ? Maybe those that are responding actually do and have already experienced what he wants answered. Well isnt that the fact why he asked ? To see if any other owners of 488 GTB's have experienced the same thing.

Bit of an insult given 7 posts that you have made in 4 years.

Your comment about the battery will be laughed at by every 488 GTB owner. Clearly you dont know what you are saying.

21. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    MANDALAY sorry if come across abrupt or rude think i've just worded it all wrong and at same time apologies to all the guys who have replied on here

Yes you are correct they can give their thought's or experiences but am just trying to state that the OP is saying the error will not go away despite numerous restarts so from my understanding it needs to go on a machine

Maybe on these 488's they do need a good 20 min thrash or there is way to do a reset without a machine but i am not aware so just going off what i have experienced on the 458

And yes i do think it is a joke if on a 2-3 year old Ferrari the battery can get toasted especially for what the they charge for a replacement battery

But let's leave it at this for now and see what the outcome is

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The battery and charging in the 488 GTB is a problem. The alternator is a smart unit. Its not always putting out 14.2 volts.

If the car is not driven regularly the battery doesnt get charged up. The tender is just that a tender.

You can have all the lights on , with the tender and still fail to start the car.

One thing for sure if the car doesnt start EVERY error code on the dash will light up , bells ringing , windows will open , gee even the HAVAC goes on full air.

The 488 GTB does not want to see low voltage. The OEM batteries even though on a $600 k for me here are cheap crap.

I have started the car and gone 20 miles for petrol only to come back to have the car not start. Change the battery to a better one.

IMO his error light is still on after restarting is most likely because the battery is nearly dead. With a starter because of the amps supplier the error does disappear.

Lastly not on the 458 but i was probably the first person to discover even when the car is off, alarm on or off the third brake light the LEDs are always ON. No matter how low it means that the battery is slowly being discharged.

You know at the end of the day yes it needs to go on the machine because there could be something else wrong.
    When i service the car i ask the tech how many batter errors did i have ? They are to ashamed to answer and just changed the battery
    I know most can also vouch fully charged battery , happy life :)

BUT GET A STARTER ALWAYS WITH A 488 GTB

23. reisskhan

reisskhan Karting

Aug 11, 2017
    Yes hence why I was saying could just be a matter of a simple reset because the modules have seen low voltage from the discharged battery

And if it does come down to a toasted battery then an surprised though as it’s only a few years old (yes batteries are seen consumables) but then my issue is the replacement price from dealer you’d expect some flux capacitor for that kinda price lol

Also what do you mean by a starter surley not a starter motor I hope lol?

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No a starter like this

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006