458 - My First Ever Ferrari - Rosso Scuderia over Nero | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 My First Ever Ferrari - Rosso Scuderia over Nero

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by axlesofevil, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    I LOVE the black roof!

axlesofevil likes this.
  2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I would not recommend any OEM method. The OEM springs are not designed to be lowered. You have less spring strength and travel if you lower with OEM springs. Get yourself a Novitec spring set and do it right. You will improve your ride stance and maneuverability and your car won't suffer, in which turn, neither will you.

axlesofevil likes this.
  3. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Good to know. I hesitate to make any sort of adjustment to the car. I know Ferrari spent a lot of time and money setting up the car. Who am I to go in there and make changes? :p

4. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    What you're saying is true - however in the USA our ride height is much higher than the spec is in Europe, this was for crash safety purposes? I can't speak to why since GT3/GT2 etc come to the states in the proper height. Point is you should be able to lower the car to the euro spec without any adverse issues.

I did a two step approach to this and hopefully my insight will save you some time. I lowered my car on the OEM springs, at least 1.5 or so and although it looked better, it handled worse in the mountains and was less comfortable on the road (in all settings, bumpy, sport, race). I then went to novitec springs and lowered the car another 1/3 inch or so and the car handles and rides better than it was when it was OEM.

alibo70 likes this.
  5. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Good to know. It seems like your experience is similar to others that I've read. And it looks like the springs themselves are super cheap. Definitely something to look into.

6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Maybe this may drive my point home. A newer car, a much higher performance car. See what he just found out today. I just got my F8 about 3 weeks ago. It is in the shop for PPF, paint correction and ceramic coating. After that is is getting springs, wheels/tires and exhaust. @SoCal to az as well as many other here, are very experience and knowledgeable about cars, not just Ferrari. Coincidentally, he just posted this today. Trust me on this. Just because Ferrari made it, doesn't mean that everything they do is the best or even better. If that is the case, why do they have a JBL HIFI stereo system, among many other things. There wouldn't be any 3rd party upgrades if they really made a perfect car. They do a great job in esthetics, design and performance (although they compete, their once strong grip is slipping), as we are seeing Porsche always given them problems and providing a strong competition, Lamborghini, eternal rival, not slipping and young McLaren setting the bar.

axlesofevil and SoCal to az like this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Here is another post from a 458 owner, just like you.

Look at the "Lowering my Pista" thread

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Honestly I’m embarrassed for Ferrari after the experience I just had. Why do I have to spend almost 3 grand after market to make the car ride like it should out of the factory? For anyone who I looked down upon for changing their exhaust or lowering the car or doing any modifications to make it better my apologies.

RoadRonin and GT2goneF like this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I agree with this. If you lower in the OEM springs, they are compressed and ride quality will suffer. I did Novitec and I could not be happier! Phenomenal improvement in the car.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    That’s a beauty! Congratulations!

axlesofevil likes this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You are a happier, bigger and a better man

SoCal to az likes this.
  12. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks @GT2goneF. My M3 is full of Dinan parts so I'm not against modifying a car, but I am weary of modifying what a large company has spent lots of time and money to make robust and performant. I also realize that what the engineers are optimizing for in Ferrari are not necessarily aligned with my goals.

If people have had a good experience with Novitech springs (and it's clear they have) then I'll probably jump on the bandwagon. Just gotta work with my dealer to get them installed.

I don't know how the car can feel and handle any better, though. Maybe it's my newness to Ferrari and supercars in general but it feels out of this world to me already. :D

Rexcat458 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you think the handling is out of this world now, you will be in another galaxy when you replace the springs. Trust me, my second Ferrari, never thought the handling could be improved. But its not even a question of how good the Novitec springs are.

RoadRonin, GT2goneF and axlesofevil like this.
  14. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Put me down for excited, then. :D

15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Fine, don't take my word for it. Never mind the references... LOL. Now you have heard it from the source.

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    If I am reading correctly, you are from SD. You should give Sean from @TAGMotorsports a call, they are up your alley. They usually have the springs in stock. They have plenty of experience with Ferraris. They have great prices and they will install and align all in one stop. Disclosure, I am not affiliated nor I am being paid to promote them. Sean was very good to me and I respect people that care and do good work.

17. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Ah, good to know. I'll check them out!

18. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Welcome!!! love the car, enjoy!

19. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Huge Congrats!!!

My first (only so far) was my 308 GTS QV Restomod. Getting a 458 as a First, must be amazing!!

Enjoy!!

20. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Alright springs ordered from @TAGMotorsports. Looking forward to how the car looks and handles after install!

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Congratulations! You will love the look and the ride. I know that @TAGMotorsports treated you right. Please let us know how it goes/went and show us pictures! Some before and after side to sides.

Any ETA for installation?

22. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    They told me I grabbed the last set they had in stock so I'm hoping they'll get them shipped out on Monday and installed soon. I have a track day on the 29th so hopefully before then.

I haven't seen many great before + after pics on the forums so I'm going to try and take some good before/after pics in good light conditions and focusing on the wheel arches for posterity.

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Well aren't you a lucky one. Installation and alignment only take a few hours. It comes to shipping and appointment availability. Hopefully, all components are in good shape and safe, so it is a very good possibility provided that everything above lines up.

axlesofevil likes this.
  24. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What a perfect spec, congrats.

axlesofevil likes this.
  25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran