Official book collectors thread | Page 130 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    The release of "Enzo Ferrari : The photographic biography" has been postponed by Evro Publishing for at least two years.
    Someone knows when this book will be published ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You mean postponed two years from its initial release date?

3. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Actually, this most recent delay (April, 2021) was announced a couple of months ago. When I saw the above post I thought maybe there had been yet another postponement.

Doug Nye is a very knowledgeable historian, skillful researcher, and talented writer, but his projects are frequently delayed. I’d wager he’s had two or three other books published since this one was announced. I have no idea what could be holding it up.

NürScud, Rosey and modena1967 like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    In looking back at my Amazon account I actually ordered this book in May, 2019.

6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    The English version of Forghieri contain some more material than the original Italian version but it leaves out the juicy parts about the driver's girl friends.

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    On Ford vs. Ferrari books...here's a story of a couple titles published in the US

When I met Brian Winer, who was driving a Lotus Esprit at the time, I was surprised when he said his favorite car was the Ford GT40. This was back in the ‘70s. I thought he was a furrin’ car guy. Turned out we both had a soft spot for Fords of the Sixties. We looked around and discovered that there wasn’t much in print on the car at the time. Back in ’77, I had written Shelby’s Wildlife: the Cobras and the Mustangs, which had a few pages on Ford’s fight for victory at Le Mans but we were surprised to see that, while Cobras were proliferating (in replica form) there wasn’t much recognition of the car that had really put Ford on the International racing map, the GT40.
    At some point, Brian, who is in commercial real estate, had me go over to England to sample the Safir, a GT40 made by a small company that got permission from Ford to reproduce their car exactly and even use their name (which would brew trouble later). I liked it. Brian bought one. And we together we went through our picture files and published a book called Ford GT40 Photo Archive through Iconografix, a Wisconsin publisher. There, we thought, we have done something for our favorite car—brought back recognition for it in material form (the Safir) and in a book.

But that was just a picture book, maybe 90 photos with captions. We still wanted others to know the story of how Ford’s Le Mans win came about. So I looked in my library and discovered a small hardbound book by a British attorney called Ford Vs. Ferrari. The author was the late Anthony Pritchard. I flew across the pond again and struck a deal to buy the book rights but only for five years (big mistake, as you'll see later on). Then I went to Dearborn and scooped up lots of pictures from the Ford Archives and began paying more attention to Ford GTs at the Monterey Historic races.

There was one problem with the Pritchard book. It was written so early on in the game that it didn’t include the back-to-back Le Mans wins in 1968 and 1969, two years in which GT40s won Le Mans but were no longer being campaigned by Ford Motor Co. but by Gulf Oil. So, providently, I had also bought use of two chapters from another Pritchard book, covering those years at Le Mans.

What we both liked about the Pritchard book was his dry wit, and complete neutrality. He didn’t favor any one company over another, or the Brits involved over the Yanks, just told the facts. Admittedly there was not much of the now-much-discussed personality clashes in the book. We thought then that the story was in Ford developing and fettling the car. Oh, they had a good idea in buying two of the three Lola GTs that had been built and using them as test rigs, which the book covers, but the battles between John Wyer, the ex-Aston Martin team boss, and Eric Broadley, the Lola man put on retainer by Ford, weren’t much discussed. And neither was the tension between the drivers.
    1964 Ford GT40 painting by the author/
    As a Ferrari fan as well, I wanted to know how Ford, which really didn’t have much skill at building world class international race cars, could beat Ferrari, the company that had made its name in racing and dominated Le Mans for five years in a row prior to their loss to Ford at Le Mans in 1966.

We had the new book laid out, designed a cover, and printed it in Japan, where I had met some printers of excellent quality books. Unfortunately we couldn’t get the car magazines of the time, like Road & Track, to review it, so sales just dawdled along and the general enthusiast public of the ‘80s didn’t yet realize what a great achievement Ford’s victory over Ferrari was. It was like we were championing some obscure WWII victory that took place on an island far away and nobody realized how potentially significant a battle it was.

Flash forward almost 20 years to 2003 when Ford reintroduced a concept car called the Ford GT40. In ’05 a production version started coming off the line. Ironically they couldn’t sell it as the GT40 because when they had sold Safir the right to make GT40s they didn’t realize they hadn’t read the fine print and Safir now owned the name. So the production ’05 and ’06 car had to be called the Ford GT. With the introduction of that car, interest in the original GT40s picked up. Especially when Ford offered the Heritage Edition paint job that replicated the Gulf livery on the winning car in ’68 and '69 (singular "car" and not plural because, incredibly, the same car won both years).

And Brian dutifully bought a ’06, and once again we made a book. A similar problem came in publicizing the '05-'06 Ford GT book. In America, if you can’t get the reviews in the big magazines, you are dead in the water.
    Flash forward another 13 years. Ford once again has a new Ford GT, though it’s a V-6 and doesn’t have any of the styling of the originals. I have zero interest in the present model because of a new Ford policy where they want to charge authors for each and every picture in a book. As if they were in the picture selling business, not the car selling business. But turns out Brian, a world champion string saver, still has copies of our edition of Ford vs. Ferrari. And of Ford GT40 and the New Ford GT. I Iooked up Ford vs. Ferrari and damned if Pritchard, once he got the rights back, didn’t put out an expanded edition through Haynes with no less than 600 pictures, but the market still wasn’t there yet and even that didn’t sell well. In fact it sold so badly Haynes, the publisher, gave up on racing books and went back to the safe area of their tried and true how-to manuals. We checked, and copies of Pritchard’s expanded edition are running over $100 on eBay.

And now it’s close to November 15, 2019 as I write this. A new film is coming out from Disney. No small project, budgeted at $100 million. Called Ford v. Ferrari. Alas, I could have sold the film rights to Pritchard’s book if I had bought them, but anyway I had only only bought five years of print rights.

Ostensibly the film is on the same subject. Almost the same title. Word is their on-screen story is more of a personality piece, a dramatization of the real facts, but who is to say that, once the new generation sees it, they won’t want to find out about that car called the Ford GT? We weren’t even invited to the advance screening, though theoretically, (and I'm cryin' real tears here…) it was our nickel that kept the flame burning by publishing two books on the subject a quarter century ago when no one cared.

Brian, ever the archivist, purchased all the remaining copies of our edition of Ford vs. Ferrari and Ford GT40 and the New Ford GT. He’s selling them. These are not, mind you, reprints, but what they call in publishing “new old stock.” (In publishing we say of someone who has unsold books “He’s sleepin’ on the books.”) He can be reached at [email protected]

gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #3233 Albert-LP, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    as I'm the author, I would like to adjust what you you told (and thank you for mentioning my book).

The title is "Ferrari by Schedoni - un lungo viaggio sul Cavallino Rampante". It means "... a long trip on the Prancing Horse".
    Then there is the subtitle "con Mauro Schedoni, Mauro Forghieri e Carlo Tazzioli" that means the "a long trip with Mauro Schedoni, Mauro Forghieri and Carlo Tazzioli", as they are the ones who are "with me" during this long trip from 1976 to present days.

The author is me, Alberto Mantovani.

I'm very proud of this book, that I wrote with the Schedoni official and full support. It's a Mauro Schedoni tribute, that was very ill when I completed the book and passed two weeks ago, January 14. Unfortunately he was so ill that he couldn't attend the official first copy "ceremony" delivery last December 18 (the one shown in the video, at Schedoni atelier in Modena.

Thank you all.

ciao

PS
    At present the book is Italian only, but it looks there will be an English edition (limited, expensive and with a Schedoni leather cover)

montegoblue, jpsf1uk, gt4me and 8 others like this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Can't wait for the special English version.

Albert-LP and jm2 like this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I did a mistake: the english edition will have a Schedoni leather case, not a leather cover: latest news. Will be signed by Simone Schedoni and numbered

Ciao

jpsf1uk, pilotoCS, gt4me and 6 others like this.
  11. Juli

Juli Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I can’t wait for it. :)

Rosey and Albert-LP like this.
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good morning all, and I apologize for the short duration of this post.
    I found this publication yesterday at a Estate Sale here in Houston.

I will admit to being unfamiliar with both the author and the car!
    But the edition is very impressive, and I thought I MIGHT find an owner here, that would desire this.

Sale will run thru Sunday but a conversation with the curator reflected that a lot of the art and fine books will not linger to the last (to be discounted) but instead go to auction.
    Thanks for looking, I guess call or text me at 832 801-0670 if tis is a "must have" for you and I will link you to Lynn Huck today....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As I am a good customer I might be able to do some haggling on that price, but probably not a lot, this early in the offering.

There was a lot of fine perfume as well..........I sampled it....LOL!

jm2 likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  15. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Very high quality set of books, edition of 1500, selling originally for EUR 395,-. Years ago the author/publisher told me he had half the print-run (750 copies) destroyed because the books were not selling. Nowadays publishers of quality niche books reduce print-runs substantially.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks so much!

I am glad you saw this then!!!
    I just cracked open one volume to take that picture and thought.....wow!

Her "job" of course is to price aggressively for $$ recovery...no hard feelings about that.....but she's got windage on that shot!!
    (She whispered I could have 20% off, on the first sale day....unheard of but we go way back)

375+ likes this.
  17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Wow, amazing detail I will tell her!!

I suppose that does avoid the issue of seeing your work on the $3 CLEARANCE shelf at Half Price Books, like Jesse Alexander.....:/

375+ likes this.
  18. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
  19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks to all and for that comparative price....seller is a red head, she will stick by her guns!!
    :D :D :D

gt4me likes this.
  20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015