Ferrari FF Electrical System Failure | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF Electrical System Failure

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by StephenB, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    I am glad I took these videos as hopefully it will help in diagnosing the issue. Naturally the car is at the dealer and while there were tons of error codes, it is not doing it now and Italy does not know what to replace.

Here are the links..

Initial failure, manetto failure message, windows dropping a half inch and then going back up and the interior light coming on and off.
    https://youtu.be/03yuf7vvkNA

Complete cluster failure part one
    https://youtu.be/e3tELohJtAs

Complete cluster failure part two
    https://youtu.be/g8cZWv8EXNs

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    ManneTINO = little lever

What's the year and mileage?
    Were you driving regularly and using a tender every two weeks of non driving?
    How long have you had the FF?
    Did you buy the car from some joker for cheap, or from a dealer with good books/history?

3. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    It is a 2105 bought new, it is my daily driver has 6k on it. My second FF the first was a 2014 that I drove for 12k miles.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sometimes the car just needs to be rebooted - like a computer

5. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    I tried that. Disconnected the battery for five minutes. Didn't work.

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    pure speculation on my part, since the error codes are probably the breadcrumbs...

I'll assume the battery is good, and since this occurred while driving, it wasn't a low voltage problem (Assuming the alternator is producing clean power). If it was, you'd probably have different symptoms

Given the cluster/windows/et al, I'm going guess

1) bad connection to one of the (many) chassis ECU's, or there is a sensor/microswitch somewhere with an intermittent ground fault or bad connection (Eg. the windows are dropped when the door lever microswitches are activated)

2) IF it's just a SW glitch, and a hard reset didn't work (battery disconnect), the dealer can reload software

3) as a an attempt at empathy, our 2015 once flashed every alarm, bell and whistle. Full, good battery. Our dealer Master Tech (who is a wizard) eventually deduced that there was a bad rain sensor (in the rearview mirror). That was causing faults, popped a fuse, et al. I suspect the radar installer had done something, but who knows. Bottom line, there was nothing pointing to the rain sensor, but the tech had to sort of eliminate it down system by system. The CAN network in these cars is very complex, and only mildly fault tolerant (which, BTW, is the same with most high-end cars)

Please keep us posted.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It can be anything. Thats the problem with all these advanced electronics. This reminds me of when I had a parking sensor go bad on my 599. All of a sudden everything failed... Got to be seen by your dealer... Sorry. Downside of high tech.

8. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    Or nothing! The car was in for over a week, they found many error codes in the computer, reset and guess what, did not do it again. I am driving it waiting for it to happen again.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lol gotta love it - maybe it took a special super secret version of cntrl alt delete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My hunch is a bad battery especially as there were loads of error codes.

Even if it appears good a bad cell can limit the current delivering capability (high internal resistance) of the battery which will cause voltage drops and can then causes errors.

If you have the factory battery (FIAMM?) then well worth changing it in my experience. Even from new the the factory batteries can often have issues especially if they have been allowed to go completely flat during transportation etc.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Service Mgr here says bad battery cell, or not driving the car enough/no tender, main cause of most electrical gremlins. Drive more, less problems.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I guess she just wanted some extra TLC... Suggestion- have them hook you up with a better tender like the 7002 Ctek and make sure to plug in when you know you won't drive it the next day...

13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It's too bad the oem battery is not up to par. What battery brand and model is a good aftermarket alternative?

14. sesto22

sesto22 Rookie

Jul 19, 2016
    Electrical system failure, Manettino failure and TPMS failure. All dash lights are on. Originally had the wrong battery installed, have since switched to an AGM Duracell 49/H8. No change, though. Car will not start. Tried to start, but won’t fire/turn-over. I thk that is the computer telling it to not deliver fuel.

How do I reboot the whole system?

15. TurboDoc

TurboDoc Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    BKB
    I am currently having the identical “electrical system failure” to the original thread. However, it only occurs when the car sits outside for hours below 30F. The battery is brand new and dealer installed less than 6 months ago. I daily drive the car at least 20 minutes each way and use the tender religiously.

The car starts fine and after warming up for a few minutes the electrical failures resolve one by one.

I’m under warranty but so far haven’t sent it the 250 miles to the dealer.

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Had similar issue with cold weather and not driving daily and no tender. Changed battery. There was also lead issue which contributed.

Both resolved with lead change and new battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uberwag likes this.
  17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What's "lead issue" and "lead change?"

18. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Repinging this to get some feedback from the forum...
    Getting a persistent "Electrical System Failure - see dealer" warning for a while. Battery good and fresh (Interstate, a year and a half old), lives on a tender, no issues with driving it or other warning messages, and messages goes away after a few restarts/car getting warm. I know a number of people have had this issue and there have been a couple of different experiences with "fixing" it (and how long that fix actually lasts... for example, I have Scott's car and even with the above it is still happening) - would love feedback on what updated thinking there is now on this!

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Replace with a new interstate and the assess

20. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Image Unavailable, Please Login This is the battery, dated 1/2020 if I remember correctly. I bought a new battery in August to do just as you recommended (I read that on the forums in prior search), so brought new battery home to install...and realized that I already had a fresh one once I got it out of the car. Pain in the ass. Same model, operating even higher than rated when I took it back to be tested before returning the new one and reinstalling.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It cld have a bad cell and still tests ok

22. uberwag

uberwag Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Anyone else have other experiences beyond battery for this, or universally this was always resolved with battery change?
    As far as behavior, it doesn’t happen when the car is warm and after a few starts it stops all together. Then, will come back after sitting.
    Any other battery options beyond the interstate battery that most use?

23. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have my car on a tender and get the same warning when I start it. If I drive it a few miles and restart, it goes away

Bonovox09 and vraa like this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Have u tried using a different tender?

25. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ever since the idiots that took 8 weeks to install my Pioneer head unit installed new amps, it seems to drain the car while sitting. I gave up trying to solve it and just plug it in. It is the Ferrari tender