Addition to the F12? | FerrariChat

Addition to the F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by yoshi86, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yoshi86

yoshi86 Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Hi All,

Was curious what you guys have aside from the F12 as a second toy (not DD), and if you had any suggestions.

I have an F12 which I absolutely adore and have no intention to part ways with, and an E63s as my daily for rainy/snowy days (I live in the east coast).

I'm thinking of adding another car, ideally a convertible but doesn't necessarily have to be.
    Currently considering the manual F430 at Miller but it's the exact same color scheme (grigio silverstone + cuoio interior) as my F12 so I am a bit hesitant. The premium the F430 manuals are demanding these days is also making me consider other options.

I'm considering the following, and would love input from anyone with thoughts or experience.

- F430 manual (Ferrari gated shifter, what more to say, coupe or spider)
    - R8 V10 manual (Gated shifter fun at a much more reasonable price)
    - Gallardo LP640 manual (Can't seem to find any though, coupe or spider)
    - 720s Spider (I've never driven/owned a mclaren and I like their electro tinting roof)

Thanks in advance.

430jm likes this.
  2. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I have a Donkervoort JD70 on order...after owning an RS initially. Out of my whole car collection this is by far the best and most fun car to drive. You can forget Ferrari's...this is from another planet! They are now also shipping to the US I believe, but they only make about 40 per year of these.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It is blindingly fast and pure...but also relatively comfortable.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  3. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Aston Martin V12 Vantage Roadster 6Speed Manual (only 101 build), driving it besides my Ferrari and its a real good addition, totally different V12 character and driving experience.

Attached Files:

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If doesn’t have to be a convertible I’d suggest:
    991.2 911 GT3 manual
    Speciale

Convertible:
    458 Spider
    16M

430jm and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Michael Ortega

Jun 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Ortega
    Hi There,
    I own a 2013 F12 and a 2012 458 Italia. I love both of them. They are completely different cars and both provide a great driving experience. I realize a 458 is not on your list of choices but I wanted to share my thoughts. Best of luck with your search.
    Michael

430jm, 3POINT8, x z8 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Speciale. The best modern day Ferrari.

plastique999, Eilig and ryalex like this.
  7. Michael Ortega

Jun 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Ortega
    Very good car. But significantly more money than some of the others he is looking at. Not sure if that is an issue for him or not. Do you own a Ferrari?

8. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    LP 640 is Murcielago, not Gallardo, that's why can't find one!
    Just kidding, lol.

I ask myself the same question to complete my FF.
    The F12 being a very efficient machine, I would search for a fun one but not necessary faster one (ie 720).
    The R8 has no soul imho, I'm not confident with the 640 reliability and seems it "heavy" to my eyes (never tried it though).
    The gated 430 would be my choice in your list.
    Out of the list the gated 355 is cool as well, I also enjoy my 993TT (manual tranny of course).
    P.

9. Michael Ortega

Jun 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Ortega
    Full service on 430 can be very expensive as it requires the engine being taken out. Not so on modern day Ferraris so its something to be aware of. All new Ferraris come with a 7 year maintenance plan which is transferable. something to think about.

10. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Yeah, that's my thought as well about the 355, so the reason says the 458 is the way to go.

11. yoshi86

yoshi86 Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Wow I actually looked into this but unfortunately don't think I can get it here in the US. I also don't know how I would service it.
    Looks & sounds absolutely amazing though...

12. yoshi86

yoshi86 Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    Haha yes you are right. I meant LP 560!

13. yoshi86

yoshi86 Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    This precisely. My comfort zone would be 2~300k for the additional car, but I also don't want to trade in all of my cars for a single super-performance machine. I like the variety and ability to switch around whenever I want.

14. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Sorry, but this is wrong. Starting with the 360, the engine didn't have to be removed for service. The 430 is even more inexpensive because it went to timing chains instead of belts. Service on a 430 averages $2k a year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

C4YES, 3POINT8, nickorette and 3 others like this.
  15. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I have a Zenos E10R - now that’s a different driving experience!

Just been finished in matching Rosso Corsa to the F12....

Only 109 Zenos built and only 30 E10R before they went bust!

350 BHP (Ford RS engine and box), no ABS, traction control, power steering, brake servo, stability control - nothing. And approx 450BHP per ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hagen111 likes this.
  16. Rmbp

Rmbp Rookie

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I have exactly the same combo - E63S as a daily and F12 as my main toy. Perhaps a 600LT or something in that direction would be a nice change of pace, as it differs from the F12 more than the 720s does!

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well it depends on your itch. If you want analog with little downside, 430 6 speed in whatever flavor roof you want. Little depreciation and maintenance is low. I have one of those and it is the opposite but idiotic smile inducing every time. Even a 360 F1 will give you that feeling and the older you go, the lower you go and the more analog you get. You lose speed but you remain quick and low like a go kart before height and nannies became a thing.

Fast, fun, low and different ? Any mid engine F car
    Or dare I say Maclaren. I prefer my Maclaren to be an LT or 7 series and no one who has one or drove one complains about it - only after selling And taking a hit although second owners get the best of both worlds.

Speciale is the most amazing contemporary Ferrari but entry is high, but ultimate cost would be low as residual value will be high. Very different than F12 and perhaps not as versatile but as many said perhaps the quintessential modern Ferrari.

I’m a heretic. I find the 458 series to be too razors edge acceleration for me as the last NA car. 488 are soooo cheap for what they are with overlap between 430 manuals, 458 spiders and 488 coupes, the 488 coupe is most useable but most future depreciation. Think about it 230 buys all three?

It also depends whether the price of your addition wants to start with a 1, a 2. Speciale are a different price point but again it’s not the entry but the exit that determines cost of ownership unless it’s a forever car.

Let us know. The search is the fun part.

ScottS

Avia11 likes this.
  18. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    #18 hagen111, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Was at the factory yesterday and they informed me they have 2 finished cars going to the States at the moment. Service points...just a matter of time. There is a wait when you order one, most likely they will have a service point by then. And please be aware...these cars are LIGHT...and as such don't eat a lot of tires, brakes and don't wear out the components....its not like owning a Ferrari. Its supercar performance and looks for Ferrari money.

And since you want to drive topless and prefer to operate manual...have you considered the Lotus Exige V6 manual? I have one as well and you can take the roof out, the chassis is absolutely brilliant and the shift mechanism one of the most beautiful. Best car you can buy for under 100k. It is supersweet.

My third recommendation would be 991.2 GT3 manual...have that as well, it is incredible! Important to get manual though.

The result...my F12 hardly gets any use...it stays parked in my garage...since there are other cars in front that offer so much more.

Here's a photo of my old 2018 GTO-RS...sold it this summer at MSRP...since they are so rare they hold value very well...

19. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
  20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Multiple Ferraris. Do you?

21. CPBTX

CPBTX Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    CPB
    Love the V12 Vantage, had a coupe. From your list, I'd vote R8 with a manual trans.

22. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    MB AMG GTC as a daily convertible would be good choice
    I don’t have the garage space for another 4 wheel fun vehicle so I make do with a Ducati SL

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

plastique999 and hagen111 like this.
  23. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    6 speed manual 718 GT4 or 991.2 GT3.
    Modern, reliable, great value, and a totally different mid or rear engine experience to the F12.

x z8 and hagen111 like this.
  24. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Spot on. I have a giallo F12 and parked next to it is a white 991.2 GT manual. Makes such a great pair (both driving as well as colour wise) and the GT3 makes such a good car combined with the manual box.

Here is another option...no roof, manual, FUN & FAST...for sale for a 100k at Hillbank in Irvine California:
    https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles/537/1957-caterham-seven-s3-620r

I actually passed on the SF90 allocation but put an order in for one of these...but they also have a year wait! This is the S3 chassis so not for tall/big drivers.
    I have been in these on the road and track and there are very few cars that beat this for fun and speed. Very low poser value though...

plastique999 likes this.
  25. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    That’s a £30k car tops if you wanted it offer them as that looks like one of the last ones built and bought out of administration so they will have paid no more than £15k for it 4 years ago. It’s a brilliant bit of kit though and all oily bits are stock Ford and there is a thriving community of owners and support from ex factory Zenos people. I recommend it especially at bargain price.

PM me if you want more info.