Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first? | FerrariChat

Should you buy a Ferrari without test driving it first?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Jan 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted a V12 F car. My first dream car was a 512BB but I have 'migrated' to the classic front engine 12. I do have some fairly decent seat time in 430/488 which are great cars but never driven for an extended time in a V12. I have been a passenger in a friends V12 FF which was very impressive. Is this enough though to buy an F12 or 812 without a drive, which seem to be mostly verboten at dealerships where mileage anxiety is such a fear and the cars are mostly on consignment? It would seem best to rent one for a couple of hours, which I did with the V8, but I have found it is very difficult to find F12s or 812s for rent. I have ordered and bought a couple of new 911s without test driving the model first, and been pleased with the results, but a little more hesitant to do this with an F car. How many of you have bought without a drive first?

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Test drive? I can't even SEE one in person without getting on a plane or packing the car for a multiday road trip.

Doug. and VAF84 like this.
  3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Don't ever buy a Ferrari (or other exotic) without a test drive AND thorough PPI

Lusso123, ebobh15, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    +1,000....most of the horror stories on here result from one or both of these not occuring.

tomc and ChipG like this.
  5. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I bought my 360 spider without ever having seen it (it was 2800 miles away) or even having sat in or driven in a Ferrari. I did my homework on the model and had a PPI done (which didn’t catch everything).

I have no regrets but would certainly advise trying to at least sit in one with the same seats as whatever you might buy, especially if you are unusually configured in height, weight, etc. if you can’t do that then at least read these forums to understand any constraints or common issues.

Mirek and Circle K like this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I agreed to buy a car sight unseen (through Yellow Compass) but I didn't actually pay for it until I had a PPI and did a test drive. Seemed trivial to pay for an airplane ticket to be sure I was getting what I paid for.

As the Russian proverb goes: "Trust but verify."

96redLT4 and Boomhauer like this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Why can’t you get a test drive?

My main dealer would offer either or both if I asked and was serious; no problems. If your local dealer won’t play, then go to another!

I’m told the f12 and 812 are very different animals so yes is the answer, get a test drive.

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe you should take a driving course before you buy one, many a fool have wrapped their Ferraris around a tree because they did not have a clue what to do behind the wheel. Only you can answer this . I dont think Ferrari makes a car with less than 600 HP at the present time.If its a mid mounted machine, well thats a completely different skill set all together .

Thank you,

9. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    " How many of you have bought without a drive first?"...
    (Repost)
    I did... I "shopped" online for 6-8 months looking for a 575M gated, FHP, Red over black. Sent money by bank transfer, flew halfway across country, arrived a dealer 20 minutes before closing. First time I had ever sat in a Ferrari was when I drove it out of the lot and headed home. Because of work commitment, I drove 1300 miles with only gas and BR stops. Heavy ran started in NYC and snow in TN. Fun times!

The best part of the the "test drive" was when it was pouring rain, dark and I was in the wrong lane on the Cross Bronx Express Way, had to exit and end up in the South Bronx, no Nav, no Map. #Bonfireofthevanities!

Shahaf, Doug., -K1- and 1 other person like this.
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    First drive in mine was after the check (loan) cleared.

kes7u and ryalex like this.
  11. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    My "test drive" was driving it off the lot after the purchase.

Husker likes this.
  12. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The only 'driving class' I'm aware of where you drive new Ferraris is Corsa Pilota and I'm not sure I would want to pay 15 or 20K for that. Porsches are better for track use anyway and I would be buying a front engine Ferrari to enjoy the glorious V12 on the open road at relatively sane speeds. Coming from the Corvette world you get a little of a sense of what an overpowered front engine car can feel like. It sounds like many do buy without a drive although most would agree it is less than ideal.. Thanks everyone for their input!

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  13. In-Dure

In-Dure Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    In-Dure
    You should not buy ANY automobile; without test driving it first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I have bought a few Ferrari's over the years.
    Nearly all of them in another country, so that means no test drive.
    However it is important that regardless you get all the information you can about the car. Also there are big differences concerning the age of the vehicle,
    what model your buying, who the owners have been, etc Also in most cases if you can get a PPI done great, but otherwise it may not be necessary.
    Generally you would think that say buying a 25oTDF would present less problems than buying a 400i.
    Most of the time thats correct as the more expensive car will have more money spent on maintenance, regular checks, be stored in a garage than being parked on the roadside with a
    check once a year.
    So far I only had one car I bought not up to the standard I thought it would be, however was lucky as it was a time of high inflation for Ferrari's so it did not matter to much.
    Due your due diligence and be logical in the purchase.

96redLT4 likes this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think you should definitely test drive any car you are buying. the F-12 and the 812 are spectacular cars but each has a little quirkiness.

while getting a PPI on this vintage of a car seems a bit redundant - and any dealer can tell you the mtns history with a VIN and Chassis number... if your mechanic does not have the Ferrari software there is not much that can be seen or told from visual inspection. Unless the car has been flogged hard on a track ( pretty rare thing in the V-12 cars ) mileage and mtns history from a dealer should suffice. all 812's will be under warranty... and some F-12s would have some warranty or extended warranty to go. they also have dealer Mtns packages... so there is no reason to not maintain them at least routine items.

To me the main difference is the feel of each from the cockpit. the f-12 feels a bit bigger, while the 812 feels small and taught... it literally shrinks around you. also the controls are slightly different in the 812 - not much but just enough. both have amazing performance - so much so that you cant get anywhere near limits... even on a track. If you were simply not able to visit the seller - then I guess with a dealer service history report etc.. i would feel better about buying the car... but for me I'd fly to where ever and see and drive the car. its the little things that eventually irritate... and if you don't see and feel them up front ... you'll be that much more irratated.

96redLT4 likes this.
  16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Should I? No. Do I? Yes.

17. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Just off the "top of my head", no test drive: Porsche 944, Porsche 928S4, Boxster S, 911TT, Cayenne S, Cayenne S, 575M...no problems, just lucky, I guess. :>)

In-Dure likes this.
  18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "and any dealer can tell you the mtns history with a VIN and Chassis number..."

Is there a Ferrari dealer centralized mtn. data base? When I asked a dealer about 10 years ago, I was told no.

In-Dure likes this.
  19. In-Dure

In-Dure Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    In-Dure
    Hi vandevanterSH; A test drive does not always mean that you speculate problems....but mainly if the automobile is the right one for you. For example; i am a professional Bass Guitarist.. and there have been very expensive bass guitars (really good ones) that did not suit me...or did not have the right feel for my style...(and some were actually a much heavier frame than my usual Bass Guitars...which made it difficult to and unnecessary for my style and playing technique...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96redLT4 likes this.
  20. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I have bought a Challenge Stradale, a 328 GTS and couple of months ago an Alfa Romeo SZ all sight unseen, for different reasons. I’ve been lucky in all occasions so far ;-)

96redLT4 likes this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I bought mine sought unseen, never driven, no test drive, first-ferrari-I've-ever-driven when I drove it off the transport truck.

Sometimes when you know you know.

wiley355, NbyNW, megamarco9 and 2 others like this.
  22. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf

South Bronx,,, you are lucky to be alive

23. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    South Bronx,,, you are lucky to be alive

24. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    #24 Regular Guy 01, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    My wife and I flew out to Chicago from the Seattle area for a long weekend. As she set the trip up, we went first class and stayed at a great hotel of her choice. We saw the car on a Tuesday when the store opened and I knew it was the one for me. I walked around it and I started it up but never drove it until it was delivered to me. I purchased the car as a CPO and with a 2 year warrantee. This warrantee doesn't cover everything but I felt good when I did the deal and it all worked out for me.
    I did have an issue with the car when it was delivered but the dealer and I worked it out.
    My heart still skips a beat when I drive her!
    It was a great weekend with the best wife ever.

absent, 4ROARE, Js95 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    Was curious on people’s thoughts on auctions. Not just BaT, but Mecum, Gooding, Sotheby’s, etc. How well can you figure out a car at those?

96redLT4 likes this.