Overview Michelin Tire variants for 599 GTB and 599 GTO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Overview Michelin Tire variants for 599 GTB and 599 GTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by DZ-96, Jan 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- HGTE is set up the opposite of the GTO, with the suspension designed to cut down on understeer. The GTO is set up to cut down on oversteer so those big front tires can work

Skidkid likes this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This is interesting. I swapped nearly new P Zeros on my gated 430 Spider and my C63 6.2 wagon for MPS4Ss a couple of years back.

for the first while on the 430, I had the same feeling of squishiness. They gripped better and were more supple, but I felt like I had lost sharpness on turn in.

on the AMG it was different: not a car finely tuned to sharpness and the improvement in adhesion was very noticeable.

Now, I have gotten used to the Michelins on the 430. There is a lot more feel, detail, progression in feedback than there ever was with the PZs. The PZs are odd tyres: hard, almost brittle, which gives sharp turn in for sure, and a feeling of sportiness, but beyond that the feel vanishes and cold and wet grip is poor.

the PS4Ss feel they almost mould themselves to the road, absorbing imperfections, sucking into corners and curious cambers and damp. I think that gives the feeling of squishiness, but they are like squids, suckering onto the road and allowing you to explore your car’s limits so progressively.

but yes the PZs do feel sharp and hard on turn in for sure.

3. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry
    I will do.

Daniel

4. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Taz, would it work better then with stiffer/shorter springs and bigger sway bars?

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Remember that you usually have to step up the pressure a bit going from PZero to MPS4S. Usually in the order of 0.2-0.3 bar. If you kept the pressure the same, that might explain the squishy feeling.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jimshadow likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Front or resr? If you want to reduce oversteer, you need to soften up the rear sway bar, or stiffen the front sway bar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A.B.- Affirmative, a larger front bar like the one on the GTO would help tame oversteer. HGTE has a larger rear bar to decrease understeer.

GTO recommended tire pressures for MPSS are 35 psi F, 32 psi R, for the GTB for Pirellis 32 F, 29 R.

8. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I have stronger (than the HGTE) sway bars in the front indeed + stiffer springs all round. GTO wheels and MPSS in original GTO config ..

9. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oliver

From where do you got sway bar and springs ?
    Can you tell me the source and a quote what you paid for ? (if you want per private message)

Daniel

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Hi Daniel, H&R springs and sway bars. Original price is c. £3k. I made a very good deal on both. Bought both on Amazon. Pretty stiff though and a bit lower rear than HGTE.

DZ-96 likes this.
  11. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Also just to warn you, there is a bit of a knock when I drive through uneven roads which is pretty much everywhere in London! Not sure how I can resolve it ... I may try some of these insulation rubber tubes that can be bought from H&R ...

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would start with the flanblocs and shocks. If the sway bar bushings were dried so are the others.

odf911 likes this.
  13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    good point. I’ve been playing around with pressures and will do so again this driving season.

14. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Very interesting topic here. I just received the adjustable H&R front and rear blue sway bars from Vivid racing. And never used HGTE springs from Germany as owner decided to go very low with Novitecs. I preferred HGTE springs as H&R lowered way too much in my humble opinion for a GT. I have 2009 GTB with 20 inch monolithic rims wearing new PZeros. So when installing sways+springs, should I follow same set up so car is also track friendly? Rear softer, fronts stiffer or due to my stocks rim/tyre set up, different set up is better? Do I need to play with suspension rings for height?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- You really do not need the springs, just the front anti-roll bar will adjust the handling without compromising the ride.

16. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Hi Taz. So shouldn't I benefit from my HGTE springs and adjustable H&R sway bars? Not installed, yet.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The next weeks I will order tires, then I test all with the current configuration.
    No hurry for me to get any parts.

Daniel

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Not really an issue unless you are really pushing her, especially in the rain.

DZ-96 likes this.
  19. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    How do you like the suspension bits, assuming they are installed?

Sent from my LG-H820 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Missed that question. Yes, the HGTE springs and H&R sway bars should improve handling at a slight cost in ride because of the stiffer springs.

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #46 jimshadow, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    With early spring weather beginning to appear here in the Midwest, I’m anxious to get my 599 on the road as soon as I can. Since it is NOT drivable on the current Pirellis (10+ years old and hard as rocks) I’m ready to order a new set of tires. Since I’m a fan of Michelin, I’m open to trying the MPS4S on this car as it’s the only real choice other than the OEM Pirelli PZeros.
    My question is this.....is there any reason/benefit to go 1up with 255’s in the front and 315’s in the rear vs the OEM sizes (245/305)

22. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Jim - I agree that you should try to get Michelin's. Two years ago I got new tires for my 599 and wanted Michelins but the dealer couldn't get the right sizing, he convinced me that the new PZero's are just as good. They are not.

Maybe Michelin doesn't make the exact size for a 599 but try.

jimshadow likes this.
  23. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #48 DZ-96, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    In my opinion, the 255/35 looks better than the smaller (in diameter) 245/35
    255/315 combination is superb to drive with the Monolitic rims.
    At least the SuperSport I have.

Silly that I dismount relative fresh tires in 255/315 from 2019, but want to put on the GTO rims in April.

In that combo you can get the older SS in K2 spec.
    Interesting with your experience with the P4S, when you get it.

Daniel

24. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    More grip ?

Daniel

25. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I looked on our “Tire Rack” site and you can only get the rears in Ferrari K Spec in the SuperSports. Fronts are no longer available or I might have gone down that road.