348 STEERING FEEL/LOAD | FerrariChat

348 STEERING FEEL/LOAD

Discussion in '348/355' started by ROSSOFAN, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROSSOFAN

ROSSOFAN Rookie

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    TEODORO FRAGOSO BRAVO
    Good morning guys;
    I´ve recently bought a 348 TB and after servicing it, etc I´m very glad with the purchase.
    We know the 348 has non-assisted steering, heavy at parking speeds etc, but very comunicative and good overall on the move. However, I find my car´s steering is loading really a lot when going fast through corners, I mean it really loads up A LOT, to the point that it feels too heavy and the effort required seems to be exagerated... I´m wondering if this is the normal behaviour of the steering? or there may be something causing an extra resistance to turn the steering wheel when the suspension compresses in corners?...worn tie rod ends could be a possible cause?... They seem to be tight, though, and the steering is very precise, so I doubt it.

any comments are appreciated
    thanks.

2. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This is normal

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What is your front track relative to stock? I found increasing front track really screws up steering.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure if that's normal or not, never experienced that myself but I rebuilt my front end. I would double check a few easy things just for kicks. I would check ride height with the manual as measured from chassis points as well as alignment. Many previous owners lowered the front as much as 2 inches which essentially screws up the steering in favor of looks on the front without looking at the car as a whole. Also throws the toe out. If one lower it both ends should be lowered.
    Additionally check the passenger front for worn outer rack bushing. It happens to all of them its just a plastic bushing that cracks and fails over time, not a Ferrari thing its a manual rack thing, it causes the cars steering to feel funny is the best way to describe it.

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Should feel like a go kart with a v8; do founds fine!

If you have any doubt; in addition to checking ride height as mentioned above; get the entire suspension geometry checked. This needs to be done by somebody who knows what they are doing; not the gas station at the corner, as everything is adjustable.

Far to many people mess with the geometry without having any idea what they doing.

Huskymaniac likes this.
  6. ROSSOFAN

ROSSOFAN Rookie

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    TEODORO FRAGOSO BRAVO
    Hi again;
    ok, many thanks for your replies. What I´m 100% sure is that the front track is stock (no spacers or aftermarket wheels).
    The car was also aligned according to spec (little toe-in) so no crazy toe-out or anything like that.
    I´ll make the rest of the checks: ride height, outer/inner tie rods, etc.
    thanks

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  8. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Rack bushing issue would cause a sudden lightness at turn in when turning toward the driver side. There's a lack of feel when the steering wheel just turns without the car following. It then catches up once the weight is transferred and the tie rod locks into place. That's what the video above is showing.

9. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are the front tires wider than stock? Add more air to the front tires and check camber.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

10. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    "There's a lack of feel when the steering wheel just turns without the car following. It then catches up once the weight is transferred and the tie rod locks into place".
    hmm... just a thought. Has the rear alignment been set up properly, nothing loose? If the rear wheels are 'out', that 'lack of feel' will set in, until the rear stops 'fighting' with the front!

11. ROSSOFAN

ROSSOFAN Rookie

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    TEODORO FRAGOSO BRAVO
    Hi again;
    Aligment was OK within car specs so I don´t really expect problems there. tyres are all new and standard size, etc. I was expecting something increasing load/resistance when the weight is transfered. I´ll check the bushing and tie rods etc, however the steering seems fine: quick, nothing feels loose, precise, etc.
    in terms of feel no problems, there´s plenty of feel, it is actually very good on this regard. Some people find it too light on the move in the highway for example, but for me it is perfectly fine.
    I´m also used to non-assisted steering cars as well, but this one, if evthg is ok, seems to be very load-sensitive in corners...which is good, but sometimes i find it too stiff.
    I´ll try to find out if something is wrong or not.
    will post again if something is wrong.
    many thanks again.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe have another 348 owner drive it. The newest of these cars is over 25 y/o! In that time and several owners so much can be wrong. IMO every new owner should experience the car the way Ferrari intended. That means the suspension needs to be in good service with rubber bushings that are not 25 y/o. Suspension setting need to be stock and that means ride height! People do things like lower the cars with no regard to bump steer issues, effects of caster, rake problems and old worn out shocks to name a few. Shocks do not last 25 years!

308 GTB likes this.
  13. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    As I wrote earlier this load is normal, I own my 348 for 18 1/2 years now an a used to it.

Just try fast corners with significant banking that is where your steering really load up.

I drove a 180km/h through the corners of this oval track with my 348 and going completely nuts how much the steering loads up. See @16 min.

A fast corner without banking the steering load is nothing to worry.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What does steering loads up mean? Steering should be light and effortless at speed especially on banking. Every roval I have ever raced on including daytona the banking is like going straight with very little steering input.

15. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob

Steering is like going straight on banking only at one speed Where you don’t have to give any steering input.

If you go slower the car moves to the inner corner, if you go faster the car breaks out and moves to a higher point on a banked corner.

I guess you have power steering on your car and probably didn’t notice that much difference and all is still light.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Nope. I raced a 348 for years. the 348 has no power like 300hp at crank on 3000lb car reasonably fat tires 285-305 on banking its just foot flat steer down low to make corner smaller like a miata. ther is not enough power to get thrown up the banking on any banking I've raced.

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    348s were never fitted with power steering. That is one of the fundamental joys of these cars.

18. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Try this oval, the corner is only about 330-350 meter in diameter and push the throttle pedal deep.
    This is a test centre track not a race track.
    It is very simple no way you can take these corner with a348 full throttle and 275km/h the diameter of this corner is to small and liad on your steering wheel is huge.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I know and with powersteering it is a complete different experience