Question about addressing electrical issues during engine out | FerrariChat

Question about addressing electrical issues during engine out

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by campbell360, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hi folks...I've been on and off FC for years. Mostly lurking and taking notes (I had a 360 from 2007 to 2016). Last year I bought a 1989 TR and I am not sure the maintenance has been kept up as advertised (raggedy plug wires, cap/rotor and horrible injectors) . So I'm doing an engine out belt change/ single disc clutch upgrade in a couple weeks just so I can be comfortable knowing everything is properly up to date and more or less bulletproof as possible. In doing so I'm trying to get in front of any known and unknown current electrical issues as well as being preventative for the future. I spent a bunch of hours on FC and elsewhere understanding the Bosch relay part numbers and their new Tyco equivalent numbers (I have those part numbers if anyone needs them...all 19 relays for a total of $215). I did learn that I have at least one incorrect relay in place now that will be corrected shortly. I'm also just starting the SR gold kit install (I'm hoping good lighting and beer will helpful as I'm not the most patient person). I'll also be sending out the circuit board for the update shortly. When I got the car the first fuse/relay was pulled (horns). There's a short somewhere as it pops immediately. I'm hoping the connector/circuit board update cures this. Anyway, what else electrical related should I be updating during the major? Radiator/oil fan motors? Fuel pump relays? I know the board update will help address electrical overload due to aging motors etc but is there any 'must do's that you guys would strongly recommend? Thanks! Doug in Michigan

2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Replace the fuse board, do not just do an update. GT Car Parts or guido's

3. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    That was my plan. Either GT or Dave Helms.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The fuse blowing would indicate that circuit has shorted somewhere not in the board....guessing?

Horn button/ring, or maybe the air pump itself frozen

5. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks. I will look closer.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    The fuse also powers the glovebox lights and glovebox power outlet. Make sure there isn't something plugged into the power outlet causing a short.

It's unlikely to be the horn button causing the blown fuse. The horn button is designed to provide a short to earth when you push it. That is, for the horn relay solenoid/coil.

You can almost eliminate the board as being faulty by disconnecting connectors K and B on the relay panel board and reinstalling the fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow, reinstall the plugs one at a time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Plug K provides power to the horn (output of the relay).
    Plug B provides the earth signal from the horn button for the horn relay. Plug B also provides power to the glovebox.

Wiring diagram here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/GU667eczlZTZYBoh

Link expires in 6 days.

campbell360 likes this.
  7. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thank you very much for the information. I will examine everything you suggested and report back. Excellent stuff as it really helps me understand the electrical system better.

Qavion likes this.
  8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I am sure D Helms is a good product for what it does. My personal opinion is that It still uses the old circuit board, which can and will delaminate over time. Much better to replace with a modern alternative. The new boards are plug and play and look orginal.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    10 years ago I added a SRI gold connector kit over a number of evenings during a few months of down time. It was fun to install and the car ran better afterwards. Two engine out major later, my 91 still runs perfectly. Apparently the connectors in the engine bay get loose over time. Quite a few connector pins I removed had burn marks.

campbell360 likes this.
  10. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What specific product would you suggest?

11. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Any specific tips regarding the gold connector project? I've laid it all out and will be getting started this weekend. I'm a little nervous in to be cutting wires but I know it's the best thing for the car.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Look.. the laminated intagrated circuit board of the TR fuse panel is a complete peice of crap.

Now..moving on from that, there are a few circuits in the TR that can cause big heat issues. 1 is cooling fans, 2nd is fuel pumps, 3rd is the HVAC system. You must source out and repair all excessive current draw issues before just throwing parts at it. Old fans for example draw far more current then you would think.

There is also the fact that many of these circuits use under gauge wire which leads to excessive heat and resistance levels. All of these circumstances lead to melted connectors and burned out terminals.

campbell360, V4NG0 and Qavion like this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Just take your time, do one wire at a time until each connector is refurbished and be patient, it will take a while. Everything you need to do the job is in the kit, you will be surprised how many corroded or loose connectors you will find.

14. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    probably GT Car Parts in Phoenix

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Dennis, I feel pleased you mentioned my name. Doug already has the gold connecter kit to put on the wires. With my board he would have to change the connectors again, because the connectors I use are much bigger. Remember, the mean problem (other than the crappy layers) on those boards are the male connectors where the wires are put. Those are much to small for the current that passes. Also people use chemical products on the layers to prevent moisture. Instead of preventing, it disintegrates the layers.
    Doug, succes with the installation !

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Guido, your has worked flawless in my 512tr, the only reason I would choose Gt car's over your's is the stock appearance if that is important to a person. I can't speak to long term reliability.

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    My board has 13 years of service. And looks like it is put yesterday. So long term should'nt be a problem.