The nightmare of not having Apple Car Play | FerrariChat

The nightmare of not having Apple Car Play

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Foxxer, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Foxxer

Foxxer Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    My Lusso v12 arrived last week. Delighted with it. It replaced a Panamera Turbo S which was a terrific car itself.
    The car came with all the key options except for Apple Play although the listing on cars.com said it had it, it didn’t.

I’ve been trying hopelessly to find something on Google that shows any evidence that an Apple car play after market install is possible. From previous threads asking the question in 2019, the answer seemed to be no back then. It’s now 2021 and I wonder if ANYONE has successfully installed Apple car play in a Ferrari GTC4 Lusso V12 (when it didn’t come installed from the factory).

I’m determined to make this work somehow.

Help!

SECRET likes this.
  2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Call a dealer and they’ll probably be able to install it for an insane premium. CarPlay is a must for me

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Why not just buy a phone mount and use your phone for music (plugged into car via USB), sat nav etc?

I refused to pay £2400 for CarPlay on my recent 812 GTS out of principle. Recently got a cup holder mounted phone mount and that works well. The display screens on the GTS are small and fairly hard to see in the instrument cluster so a phone is arguably easier to see anyway.

worth considering?

xBox, uhn2000 and greg328 like this.
  4. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Have CarPlay on my SF but didn’t order it for the GTS- screen too small- must be plugged in and no touch screen!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Check out C2Play.

SV

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is CarPlay for music or Waze (which is the only thing I use it for)

If it’s for music just Bluetooth the music. I have CarPlay in my Lusso and never use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Forget playing music through your phone or I pod/ I phone, If you have upgraded hi fi in your car, get one of these to play your music.
    https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/shop/features.asp?mcg=CG110000&mpos=0&scg=CG232020&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC36040

I had for Christmas and New I pod touch and sent it back as it was rubbish, did a bit of research and bought one of these, all it does is play music, no frills but the sound is like night and day compared to the I Pod.

The car thinks it’s a USB and so far I have not figured out if you can separate folders, so I have just put all my favourite music on it and downloaded in files over 10 meg and the sound is amazing. You can still skip or go back and it dispalys the tracks on the car. It was well worth the extra money.

8. Foxxer

Foxxer Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    That is for wireless CarPlay once and only if you have CarPlay installed already. It enables you to not have to manually connect your phone to the wire every time you get into the car.

I need a solution still to install Apple CarPlay.

Anyone out there that has succeeded?

9. Foxxer

Foxxer Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    I’ll pay whatever it takes.

VAF84 and SeattleStew like this.
  10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    @ttforcefed had a new head unit installed, so I don't think it's impossible to get carplay - besides our existing HU is a basic chrysler, not that hard to upgrade or swap out

Carplay mirrors whatever is on your phone (with some modifications) to your headunit/display, I do waze/apple maps/google maps, Spotify/Tidal, iMessage, etc etc

And yeah c2play air seems like it takes existing wired carplay -> wireless

I have carplay in my Lexus, it's great because the Lexus infotainment is such trash, but I don't have CP in my FF, but I don't think I really mind it that much

Maybe later in the year I'll work out a DIY on replacing the existing HU with a carplay capable one, we'll see if quarantine lasts longer - I'm running out of hobbies

Not trying to be ****** - but there is a lot of preexisting information on CP and the FF/Lusso/812 forums

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/search/86126993/?q=carplay&o=relevance&c[node]=223

Might not hurt to try to catch up, lots of gems of information over the last few years regarding these cars

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on the new ride- the Lusso is awesome! The HU on the Lusso is massively improved. I wouldn’t want to change it out either. But if my car didn’t come with it, I’d probably just stick the phone on a mount and use Waze on the phone and then use the streaming services via the car’s USB connection. However this is not as clean. I would imagine it is possible to add after the fact but I would also imagine they will charge a serious sum.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.
  12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Personnaly, i ll have titled : the nighmare of having Apple car play on a Ferrari :D

Avia11, ab08, xBox and 4 others like this.
  13. Foxxer

Foxxer Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    Thanks for the info. He installed a new unit on in the lusso or the FF?
    I’m pretty anal about UI items as I work designing HMI interfaces for Aston Martin / Mercedes / Tesla / Ford etc so I’m a sucker for good UI.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He put the new unit in the FF.

15. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    I would pay a premium not to have apple carplay - it's so old-fashioned

Sent from my SM-G981B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was told by my dealer that there is a car play upgrade for the Lusso.. I think it was about $9500CAD installed. I am not sure if I heard wrong but thats what I remember..

Funny enough is I have it on my Lusso and never use it but have it on my Pista and use it sometimes.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I believe as well that it can be upgraded by a dealer. I had been told that the whole head unit needs to be replaced, but I am not sure this is the case.
    In any case, if you are ready to pay whatever it takes, Im sure your dealer will make it happen. I just hope for you that he is not reading this thread :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yes, I heard about same amount from two dealers - US$8,000.

I need it on Lusso, don't have it, and am always cursing myself that I was too cheap to order it. I ordered it for my Pista but will never use it.

350MH83 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. Foxxer

Foxxer Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    David Martin
    Has Anyone on this forum actually got the upgrade done?

pdxjim488 likes this.
  20. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    So I'm in the middle of doing a Carplay head unit install on my FF, it's actually quite easy

It's a Chrysler head unit, so there are a bunch of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep trim pieces that work, the total cost is about 1000$ including labor (that's the head unit, the trim pieces, the steering wheel control adapter and about 200 300 in labor)

I don't have a Lusso, but from Googling it seems like yall have a completely different head unit

It doesnt look like a double din would just drop in, might not be a bad idea to ask the dealers for some part numbers and I can look them up and do some research on alternatives

21. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #21 SECRET, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    I spoke to my dealer at length about this before deciding against buying the Lusso (without CarPlay) that they had on the lot.

It was priced at a great value at the time so I was pushing them to help me figure out of adding CarPlay was possible. They advised me that they'd never done it, but that it's probably possible, but would require a new program from the factory. Again, they were coaching me towards NOT buying the car they had on the lot if CarPlay was a must, which is why I kind of believe them. I've also serviced 4 Ferraris over the years with them, so I have some level of trust with their team.

I was told that the encoding a new module to operate with the car is similar to the process for many European car makes that require modules to be programmed to the main ECU. I recall back to a time long ago when I was trying to get the navigation hardware my E46 M3 upgraded to the newer LCI version. Even with all the right hardware in hand and harnesses to attach them, they needed to be programmed to the car. The installer, now a good friend, told me that this programming was also established to deter theft of random components of high value. The components are useless on another car unless the factory can, in laymen terms, "link" the serialized component to the ECU.

There are 3 scenarios to think of when it comes to this factory request for reprogramming:
    1. GENUINE ACCESSORY: When the module is a factory developed "genuine accessory" that's sold to a customer, the programming comes as a factory authorized kit as part of the accessory hardware that's given to the dealer.
    2. REPLACEMENT PART: When the module is a replacement part for one that failed or broke but was originally encoded to the car as a factory option, then the programming is just to activate the replacement module [and serial number], but still gets authorized by the factory.
    3. FEATURE ADDITION: When the component is a replacement part, but is being *added* to a vehicle, then it gets a little more complicated. This isnt necessarily supported but I hear it is taken on a case by case basis.
    The later was the situation with the Lusso I was considering, and the dealer was willing to support me in trying to figure it out if I chose to buy the Lusso they had. I ultimately searched a bit further and found the Lusso I have now, that includes CarPlay.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent information! :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Can you share more details of part numbers etc? If you have photos that would be even better.
    Thank you.

24. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now I want to be clear, just the headunit alone and steering wheel interface and related stuff would be under 500$ in labor, once I start adding the sound deadening, replacing speakers, building out a box for the sub etc, that'll dramatically increase the labor cost

If all you want is your FF to have carplay, you're looking at about 1500$ total max from what my research said -> that's head unit, harnesses, steering wheel adapter, dash trim, and labor included

25. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I haven't ordered anything yet, that's just what is in my cart

I did talk to my installer in Houston though, the moment he saw the OEM head unit he remarked "Looks like a Jeep head unit"

So I don't anticipate much difficulty for him to swap things out